2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

4 hours ago, Tracker said:

Nichols' contract length is irrelevant as he can be released any time up to Labour Day, and neither he nor MBT are the long-term answer for the Double Blue. Its gonna be interesting to see who emerges as the starter and I expect that there will be a lot of tag-teaming behind center this year.

MBT is not going to be happy being Nichol's short-yardage QB. Nichols has CFL experience, and little else, on MBT.

Nichols doesn't have Andrew Harris and/or our O-line any more. He can't run the ball himself, isn't fast enough or nimble enough to evade pressure, and doesn't have the arm to put the ball into tight spots consistently.

Pinball isn't going to be happy paying Nichol's 350K/yr for 3 years to throw the ball away and/or turtle.

2 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Most of us have seen it, yet our panties, surprisingly, remain completely unknotted.

Most of you want McGuire as the backup. Hoping he's at least as good as Streveler was last year after a few starts under his belt, not like most of the rest of the backup QB's we brought into the league between Brock in the mid 70's and Streveler a couple of years back.

Just now, Jpan85 said:

Flutie wore 20 with Calgary and BC

Wore #22 with Boston College and with the New Jersey Generals in the USFL. Then went to the NFL where QBs must wear a jersey number between 1 and 19, so he wore #2 with Chicago and New England.

Then came to the CFL and resurrected #22 with BC. When he went to Calgary, #22 was retired (Tom Forzani) so he wore #20 there. Once in Toronto he wore #2. Back to the NFL with Buffalo where he wore #7 (kicker Steve Christie wore #2 at that time I believe), and kept #7 when he went to San Diego. Finally, he ended up in New England where he once again wore #2.

And now you know...…… the rest of the story.

1 hour ago, J5V said:

MBT is not going to be happy being Nichol's short-yardage QB. Nichols has CFL experience, and little else, on MBT.

Nichols doesn't have Andrew Harris and/or our O-line any more. He can't run the ball himself, isn't fast enough or nimble enough to evade pressure, and doesn't have the arm to put the ball into tight spots consistently.

Pinball isn't going to be happy paying Nichol's 350K/yr for 3 years to throw the ball away and/or turtle.

I'm both an Argo fan and a fan of MBT. I believe he is going to end up as the No. 1 QB for Argos, despite being guaranteed about $133k less than Nichols (if reports are accurate). If I'm right, and with O'Connor developing nicely, 2020 might be Nichols' only year in Toronto. But I'm happy to have him for now as it's clear you need two viable QBs in this league. Argos had just one the past two years, and it wasn't the guy they handed the job to four times along the way (Franklin). 

13 minutes ago, pw13 said:

I'm both an Argo fan and a fan of MBT. I believe he is going to end up as the No. 1 QB for Argos, despite being guaranteed about $133k less than Nichols (if reports are accurate). If I'm right, and with O'Connor developing nicely, 2020 might be Nichols' only year in Toronto. But I'm happy to have him for now as it's clear you need two viable QBs in this league. Argos had just one the past two years, and it wasn't the guy they handed the job to four times along the way (Franklin). 

Argo fan??? Wow, didn't see that coming. Welcome :-)

7 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

If Nichols is healthy he isn't sitting behind MBT

I would have agreed a year ago. But I saw enough in MBT last season to advocate that the Argos make signing him their top priority this off-season. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people who consider him just a run-of-the-mill backup type. But that's why they play the games.

17 minutes ago, pw13 said:

I would have agreed a year ago. But I saw enough in MBT last season to advocate that the Argos make signing him their top priority this off-season. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people who consider him just a run-of-the-mill backup type. But that's why they play the games.

I thought MBT looked pretty good in the games I saw. Certainly played well against the Bombers when they beat them. He's not a scrub. He's been in a lot of NFL camps because he has talent. I like Nichols, but, this will be a competition, larger salary or not.