2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Stat that shows he played from behind a lot on a bad team. 3rd in passing yards and 1st in tds. Which considering he wasnt the starter for the whole year is pretty good. 

Come from behind win on the worst team in the league vs the eventual grey cup champions is worth some thing too. By no means is he an elite starter. But imo he is cemented as a starting caliber qb in this league. Atleast going into TC, any thing can change during the season. 

Agreed to some extent.  Easier to pad the stats in garbage time.  But the Bombers have shown over the years that QB's without something special won't be able to do that anyway.  

He is worth what they are paying him.  Time will tell if he turns into a winner.  He has good mechanics and has heart.  Will see if it translates.

4. He is heavily invested with several Tim Hortons franchises in his hometown of Detroit.

So not only has he starred in a uniquely Canadian sport but he’s also doing his best to export as much “Canadianity” (Term stolen from the ‘Taggart and Torrens’ podcast) to America as he can. It also means Glenn must be the richest CFL player ever because those places are always packed. Unless it’s 3:30 a.m. on Christmas Eve you can pretty much expect to be lining up.

7 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Fair enough, one way to look at it for sure.

However, playing from behind when he was active suggests he was part (not all) of the reason this team was bad.  I'm guessing the Argo's will pull the trigger quite quickly if he falters out of the gate.  

If any thing It says that his defense was the reason they were bad. But OL was more puppies then pork too.  Sure you throw more the further behind and later the game gets. But you get behind for many reasons. One of the worst Ds, Ols, and run games in the league last year had a bit to do with it. 

5 hours ago, Floyd said:

Well that's my point.

Wonder if we kick the tires on him. Wouldnt mind if he was cheap.

6 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

Lol. I know he's a Rider, so we hate him, but he's a pretty good player. How many Canadians on the defensive side of the ball are better than him/worth more? Muamba, Laurent...anybody else?

I actually like the guy as a player. I was high on him pre draft and think he could get better. Its just if he becomes as good as I think he can be, the contract will at best be ok. An that chance isnt great. 

The drop off from the elite batch to the second tier like muamba is steep. While the money difference is not.

Id put him in the lower to low mid portion of the 2nd tier of NI D players. Below greenwood, boateng (id rather have judge but I think boateng is a bit better still), laing and unamba.  Jake thomas isnt much further down the list from there, and I wouldnt want to give him a huge deal either. 

12 hours ago, Brandon said:

I wonder where he ends up? I wouldn't write him off just yet.

12 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I'd honestly take Franklin on a cheap deal.

On a budget deal he'd be a great low risk high reward pick up. 

Not many teams are really deep at qb as it sits, I could see him going to any team save hamilton/to. 

when you look at it Sask seems to be a team that could be a player in one of the available guys with experience (and former hype) as all they have is Harker and Bennett as depth, and even though the fans there think Harker is a stud in waiting, if he has to take over they are screwed...also, Fajardo still has to prove last seasons success, albeit it average success is actually him...or was an anomaly/one off, and also if he can stay healthy too

The issue there tho is they won't have a lot to offer a legit number 2 as they have a whack of work to do as it is to fill there roster with re-upping guys and or replacing talent they have lost, or may still lose yet

20 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

On a budget deal he'd be a great low risk high reward pick up. 

Not many teams are really deep at qb as it sits, I could see him going to any team save hamilton/to. 

I don't see him landing with any team out east tbh.  Ottawa seems set with Arbuckle, Davis, Arndt and a few others.  I guess Montreal could go for him but he'd have to be willing to sign for a real low price. 

3 hours ago, bigg jay said:

I don't see him landing with any team out east tbh.  Ottawa seems set with Arbuckle, Davis, Arndt and a few others.  I guess Montreal could go for him but he'd have to be willing to sign for a real low price. 

Good point on montreal. Idk about ottawa though. If any thing they know the value of having 2 qbs. I dont think much of davis or arndt but they may still have some hope for them. Id cut bait and start fresh if i was them though. 

I hate the thought but jennings could be a target for a few teams looking for vet back up, including us. Dirt cheap, young, and athletic. Hes not streveler athletic but enough to run productively as a qb. 

Flair Air has a promo where for 3 months you can:

1) Pay 700 dollars for a checked bag and fly as much as you want no black outs

2) Pay 500 and have no checked bags with some black out dates like Fridays/Mondays (i think)

Wife has already signed off on me working some overtime if they extend this to cover the CFL season and I can maybe get season tickets. I am genuinely pumped about this idea.

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Good point on montreal. Idk about ottawa though. If any thing they know the value of having 2 qbs. I dont think much of davis or arndt but they may still have some hope for them. Id cut bait and start fresh if i was them though. 

I hate the thought but jennings could be a target for a few teams looking for vet back up, including us. Dirt cheap, young, and athletic. Hes not streveler athletic but enough to run productively as a qb. 

I just realized that Arndt signed with BC last week so I guess Ottawa is still a possibility as well.  Lapo knows Davis and they didn't include him in the house keeping they've done.  They did sign Kevin Anderson who was with us for a bit this past season so Lapo might be looking at him as QB3.