2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

25 minutes ago, BBlink said:

I thought Lapo was a fan of Davis? Am I forgetting what happened? 

I don't know of anything specific between Lapo and Davis.

but Davis was the explicit QB2 all through 2017, had been with the team for two full seasons and was highly touted as the first Bomber backup QB in years who wouldn't be a free space on the bingo card, and maybe could be something greater.

Nichols gets hurt in Game 17, it's Davis' turn to shine and he plays out the game, about a half and change.  It doesn't go super well, we lose but Davis doesn't obviously play himself off the roster like a Boltus or a Mike Quinn. Then for the critical playoff clinching week 18 game, suddenly it's the Fever starting, and Davis is cut before free agency.

Anyway, we decided somewhere between halftime of week 17 and the start of week 18 to move on from the guy ... after two years of grooming but less than thirty minutes of play running the real offense.  Given how he was touted that was weird.  Many worse bomber QBs have gotten way longer leashes.  So now that Lapo is calling a lot of the shots I'm surprised that Davis is still a Redblack.

Edited by johnzo

20 minutes ago, johnzo said:

but Davis was the explicit QB2 all through 2017, had been with the team for two full seasons and was highly touted as the first Bomber backup QB in years who wouldn't be a free space on the bingo card, and maybe could be something greater.

Nichols gets hurt in Game 17, it's Davis' turn to shine and he plays out the game, about a half and change.  It doesn't go super well, we lose but Davis doesn't obviously play himself off the roster like a Boltus or a Mike Quinn. Then for the critical playoff clinching week 18 game, suddenly it's the Fever starting, and Davis is cut before free agency.

Anyway, we decided somewhere between halftime of week 17 and the start of week 18 to move on from the guy ... after two years of grooming but less than thirty minutes of play running the real offense.  Given how he was touted that was weird.  Many worse bomber QBs have gotten way longer leashes.  So now that Lapo is calling a lot of the shots I'm surprised that Davis is still a Redblack.

Gotcha. Well, as you know sometimes the starting QB is not chosen by just the offensive coordinator. and starting a more experienced QB in the playoffs (see: Collaros) can be a more pragmatic decision.

Maybe Lapo still likes him? At the very least it appears he'll be giving him another shot.

3 hours ago, johnzo said:

You know what that was? That was classic lapo thinking "hey The Fever can run, we don't need to risk throwing the ball without our starter that way!" 

15 hours ago, johnzo said:

Davis has all the physical tools to be a great QB, he just lacks the mental tools to put them to good use.

16 hours ago, johnzo said:

I think they went with Fever because of the weather conditions. Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t there heavy snow that last game against Calgary? I think they just thought because of his ability to run he fit the offense best that week. I don’t think it was necessarily anything to do with Davis. 

34 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I think they went with Fever because of the weather conditions. Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t there heavy snow that last game against Calgary? I think they just thought because of his ability to run he fit the offense best that week. I don’t think it was necessarily anything to do with Davis. 

Little snow, but it was also cold as balls that day. The 25 or so of us the stands were really bundled up.

Davis though last year was hung out to dry with next to.nothing for any type of coaching and coordinating..was in a position basically to fail

He has skills and ability but needs experience in games.. and coaching..in games as they progress and he has never gotten that even though in league for 5 yrs or so

15 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He played beside Hardick here as he was a RG, correct? He had Foucault for the majority of this season with the Lions & he's one of the worst starting OL in the CFL. He left a good thing here for a huge contract in BC. Decision was his. 

When he played for us what I liked about him was his fire. He would often be seen fired up, noisy, and animated. I'm not sure why he left. If it was strictly for money, it was a poor decision. 

1 hour ago, J5V said:

When he played for us what I liked about him was his fire. He would often be seen fired up, noisy, and animated. I'm not sure why he left. If it was strictly for money, it was a poor decision. 

I guess Chungh's attitude was that if he can make the money now then he might as well go for it as he's only I injury away from retirement. I can't fault him for thinking that way but do I feel bad for Chungh that he played like crap on a crap team for a crap coach? Nope.

Edited by SpeedFlex27