2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Interesting details, reasonable cost $102,500-$230,000, Ti-Cats have two very good QB's for less than the price of one Reilly.

Evans earned approximately $170,000 last season, during which he helped the Ticats reach the 107th Grey Cup. It was the first year of a three-year extension he inked in April 2019. The length of his new deal remains the same, but includes some extra guaranteed money.

Evans was set to make a maximum of $213,000 in 2020 on a contract that was heavily incentive-laden. The deal included just $80,000 of hard money in the form of base salary and a housing allowance.

His new contract includes a $25,500 signing bonus, though his housing bonus has been lowered to $12,000. This means Evans will make $102,500 in hard money in 2020 plus incentives that could carry the deal to a maximum of $230,000.

2 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Interesting details, reasonable cost $102,500-$230,000, Ti-Cats have two very good QB's for less than the price of one Reilly.

Evans earned approximately $170,000 last season, during which he helped the Ticats reach the 107th Grey Cup. It was the first year of a three-year extension he inked in April 2019. The length of his new deal remains the same, but includes some extra guaranteed money.

Evans was set to make a maximum of $213,000 in 2020 on a contract that was heavily incentive-laden. The deal included just $80,000 of hard money in the form of base salary and a housing allowance.

His new contract includes a $25,500 signing bonus, though his housing bonus has been lowered to $12,000. This means Evans will make $102,500 in hard money in 2020 plus incentives that could carry the deal to a maximum of $230,000.

Great job to Hamilton. Having two guys that buy into the team that are taking way less money to stay together and help the team win. This could have been a tricky situation for Hamilton but it was handled perfectly from the front office. 

5 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Great job to Hamilton. Having two guys that buy into the team that are taking way less money to stay together and help the team win. This could have been a tricky situation for Hamilton but it was handled perfectly from the front office. 

Now to get Brandon Banks on an off - season program that will give him the cardio needed when he's targeted 3 times in a row...

10 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Noel Thorpe is the most overrated coordinator in the league. 

DC’s are only as good as the players they are given to use. When Ritchie Hall had no MLB and  no #5 he was a bum....then he gets players and wins the Cup....go figure. Urban Bowman’s quote...”good players make you look good...bad players get’s you fired” RIP Urb.

10 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

DC’s are only as good as the players they are given to use. When Ritchie Hall had no MLB and  no #5 he was a bum....then he gets players and wins the Cup....go figure. Urban Bowman’s quote...”good players make you look good...bad players get’s you fired” RIP Urb.

True, but there is more nuance than that. 

10 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

I feel like Richie Hall lulled everyone to sleep during the regular season - then the real Blue Bomber D showed up for the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

I feel like Richie Hall lulled everyone to sleep during the regular season - then the real Blue Bomber D showed up for the playoffs. 

LOL - I'd like to think that was the master plan all year, makes those gut-wrenching last play of the game losses to the Alouettes and Argos more palatable I guess...on second thought, no still doesn't help.

Just now, Booch said:

Those games tho had 3 guys in the secondary that were replaced in the last 3rd of season...and were a big reason for the defense coming together

yes in some ways those losses revealed why we couldn't have Hecht as our safety.  No great loss without some small gain.  I don't mind big mistakes, as long as they are not repeated.

9 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Honestly the D came together when they got the secondary sorted out. Lot of bodies in and out due to injuries throughout the year, by the playoffs though they'd found a group that worked.

That and we saw a lot more creativity in the front 6/7. WJ coming from all over the field, and dropping back now and then. bighill having a mix of medium depth zones and rushes. And a ton of end alignment play left the cats having no idea where the pressure was coming from or when. The secondary being sorted really allowed them to play with the front a lot more. 

5 hours ago, Dr Zaius said:

Crazy good deal for the Ti-cats.

They're going to have lots of caproom to fill out their roster in a big way come free agency. 

We need to get Nichols for that 375-425 range imo. Any more than that is an overpay

I think thats too much in base. If they (and i expect they will) bring nichols back its gotta be an incentive laden deal. I think for him to earn 375-400 or more hes gotta start more then 12 games and play in like 14 or more. 

7 hours ago, GCn20 said:

A safety that can help in coverage...who knew?

Not just that, hes a threat to make plays on the ball with speed to cover a ton of space and really really physical in the pass and run game. Loffler was physical in a decent size zone but more on the run then the pass. Hecht was physical in an even smaller zone, BA was as similar to loffler but in a much larger zone. And right away was making better decisions then loffler makes currently. The best S play we saw since Mo went from S to sam. 

5 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

He might be still suffering PTSD from that Grey Cup game though....he's probably still screaming "Willie!!!" in his sleep and waking up in a cold sweat...

I think he has enough warm fuzzies to shake it off from last year. His performance last year for his experience was phenomenal. Rookies usually face a lot more battering then he saw too. If he sticks in the league for another 2 years hes probably going to be in the elite tier of not the best qb. 

Dave Dickenson announced today the Stamps coaching staff. It's a Back To The Future type of staff. Returning to the Stamps after having retired from coaching is George Cortez as Running Backs Coach & former Stamps slot Marquay McDaniel as Receivers Coach. Dickenson promoted Mark Mueller from running backs to QB Coach replacing Ryan Dinwiddie. Mueller is the grandson of the late CFL great Ron Lancaster. Kind of a head scratcher to give an inexperienced coach the qb position while Cortez with all his experience as a qb coach & OC the running backs. Taylor Atillio, a Calgary native comes over from the BC Lions where he was STC last season under Devonne Claybrooks as ST Assistant which to me sounds like a demotion but he still gets to coach in the CFL. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 2020-01-09 at 1:23 PM, Geebrr said:

55 seconds

With 30 seconds left Fajardo gets sacked and fumbles and Wpg recovers but it's overturned by the Command Centre. What a horrible call. No way, in my opinion, is that an "incomplete pass". A real "homer" call there that could have had disastrous results for our football team. Had we gone on to lose that game I would have been livid about that call. Just BS.

On 2020-01-09 at 1:27 PM, Booch said:

always yapping...even when getting beat and burned...also was one of thier lynch pins always trying to start **** pre-game in warmups at the 55 yard line..total assbagg

If he would have got to free agency and we signed him I woulda puked

Had we signed him O'Shea would have told him to shut it and it wouldn't have been an issue. No way does he get away with his crap on this team.

24 minutes ago, J5V said:

With 30 seconds left Fajardo gets sacked and fumbles and Wpg recovers but it's overturned by the Command Centre. What a horrible call. No way, in my opinion, is that an "incomplete pass". A real "homer" call there that could have had disastrous results for our football team. Had we gone on to lose that game I would have been livid about that call. Just BS.

I have never agreed that it was an incomplete pass.

On 2020-01-10 at 2:24 PM, Zontar said:

Tall about setting the bar low. Be better than Kavis.

Well, I've never been a fan of "consequences" Kavis Reed but does he deserve some credit at least for the Als 10-8 season last year? He signed William Stanback, drafted Trey Rutherford, signed Henoc Muamba, Tommie Campbell and Boseko Lokombo, promoted Khari Jones to HC, signed Vernon Adams Jr., and put together one of the league’s best receiving corps in Eugene Lewis, DeVier Posey, Quan Bray and Jake Wieneke.