2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

I think some of you are a bit naive about how few Canadians would be on CFL teams if there were no ratio.

Without the ratio Andrew Harris almost certainly never would have gotten a sniff.  Probably the same for Demski, and pretty much any non-NCAA player.

The biggest Canadian stars of the last 20 years would probably have been Jesse Lumsden and some offensive linemen.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Like usual, I've been watching the NFL since the Grey Cup. Way better players, but the game itself is much slower. The NFL and the CFL are both football, but they are way different to watch.

Nailed that. 

A 10 point lead in the NFL seems insurmountable in the 4th Q with how much time you can run off.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

the game itself is much slower

Yes it is much slower, to the point of dullness actually; even though there are some remarkable individual athletic plays..... I much prefer the Canadian field, rules, and game.

Edited by Mark F

55 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

The bigger issue is if ( and that remains a big if) ditto for when a 10th team gets added how much further will the Canadian player pool be diluted?

I can't see many more teams being added after Halifax (if it even goes thru) so if it does then I think the ratio gets lowered to 6 or 5 & will stay there. 

22 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

How ?

Canadian labor laws do not exempt the CFL from having to have a certain % of the players from being Canadian. During the 90s US expansion the CFL tried to scrap the ratio rule because American law did not allow it. However, the CFL, unlike the NHL and NBA was unsuccessful in doing so and American CFL teams had no ratio requirements and Canadian teams did.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Canadian labor laws do not exempt the CFL from having to have a certain % of the players from being Canadian. During the 90s US expansion the CFL tried to scrap the ratio rule because American law did not allow it. However, the CFL, unlike the NHL and NBA was unsuccessful in doing so and American CFL teams had no ratio requirements and Canadian teams did.

I'm no expert, but I doubt there is anything in Canadian Labour law that forces Canadian companies to hire X% of Canadian workers. The CFL has the ratio because of it's own rules and because they negotiated X number of Canadians with the union. Changing the number, which happens fairly regularly, requires the players signing off. 

Been doing a little bit a research on the quality of talent being made available for the global draft.  Winnipeg is in a good position because they already have an impact player but next season there will be two players on the roster and 3 more on the practice roster. Given that Winnipeg won the Cup I guess i'm assuming we will be picking 9th overall. I think last year the draft order was random. Clearly that would benefit Winnipeg. However, I'm trying to get a sense for whether or not there will be 9 players of substance available in case we draft 9th overall.  Well.  Its hard to research but most of the nations have released lists of available players and there is already some pretty good talent I can identify.  Finland has 2 players who played American college ball. They are defensive lineman and didn't do a whole lot in college but its still better than nothing. France actually seems to have the best high end talent. They have three players who were good enough to get NFL shots included 2 receivers and 1 6 foot 4 defensive back. The two receivers went back to Germany and played after their NFL cracks didn't pan out and both were highly productive in the the GFL.  Germany has a large list of players available. And I feel like German typically has the most talent available out of all the global nations. One of the players on the German list was one of the top runningbacks in the GFL.  Maybe he can use that speed and strength to be a pretty good special teams player. Another German League player was one of the best pass rusher's in the league.  Maybe he's another Hansen? Mexico has not yet released a list of available players. That could be the real wildcard.  But based on the limited amount of research you can do from a keyboard and mouse I do feel like the level of talent available will be much deeper than last year where they basically ended up being one high quality player in Thiadric Hansen.

https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/germany-releases-list-of-45-athletes-attending-cfl-germany-combine/

https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/france-announces-23-athletes-for-cfl-france-combine/

https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/italian-federation-announces-cfl-italian-combine-athletes/

https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/great-britain-releases-list-of-athletes-for-cfl-uk-combine/

https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/17-players-to-showcase-their-skills-at-cfl-finland-combine/

WR Anthony Dable - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl-aAGcBxTQ

Edited by Colin Unger

53 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Been doing a little bit a research on the quality of talent being made available for the global draft.  Winnipeg is in a good position because they already have an impact player but next season there will be two players on the roster and 3 more on the practice roster. Given that Winnipeg won the Cup I guess i'm assuming we will be picking 9th overall. I think last year the draft order was random. Clearly that would benefit Winnipeg. However, I'm trying to get a sense for whether or not there will be 9 players of substance available in case we draft 9th overall.  Well.  Its hard to research but most of the nations have released lists of available players and there is already some pretty good talent I can identify.  Finland has 2 players who played American college ball. They are defensive lineman and didn't do a whole lot in college but its still better than nothing. France actually seems to have the best high end talent. They have three players who were good enough to get NFL shots included 2 receivers and 1 6 foot 4 defensive back. The two receivers went back to Germany and played after their NFL cracks didn't pan out and both were highly productive in the the GFL.  Germany has a large list of players available. And I feel like German typically has the most talent available out of all the global nations. One of the players on the German list was one of the top runningbacks in the GFL.  Maybe he can use that speed and strength to be a pretty good special teams player. Another German League player was one of the best pass rusher's in the league.  Maybe he's another Hansen? Mexico has not yet released a list of available players. That could be the real wildcard.  But based on the limited amount of research you can do from a keyboard and mouse I do feel like the level of talent available will be much deeper than last year where they basically ended up being one high quality player in Thiadric Hansen.

https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/germany-releases-list-of-45-athletes-attending-cfl-germany-combine/

https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/france-announces-23-athletes-for-cfl-france-combine/

https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/italian-federation-announces-cfl-italian-combine-athletes/

https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/great-britain-releases-list-of-athletes-for-cfl-uk-combine/

https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/17-players-to-showcase-their-skills-at-cfl-finland-combine/

Thanks for posting this! I know the global players thing is probably annoying for CFL GM's and coaches. But, it's fascinating from the perspective of trying to find some really raw talent. The Bombers found a real gem in Hansen. Could become a rotational pass rusher. 

12 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

Thanks for posting this! I know the global players thing is probably annoying for CFL GM's and coaches. But, it's fascinating from the perspective of trying to find some really raw talent. The Bombers found a real gem in Hansen. Could become a rotational pass rusher. 

I was happy to read Walter's comments on how much work the Global Scouting is.  I mean its too bad its so much extra work but I'm happy that he doesn't view the work as optional.  There was a time before Walters took over where Winnipeg wasn't even willing to turn over every stone to find a helpful Canadian player.  I remember talking to a CFL agent at that time when Winnipeg had serious snapping problems and they weren't even willing to go an look at a decent young snapper who was living in Winnipeg who ended up signing with a different team. Like they wouldn't even put in the effort. Now Winnipeg is clearly of the mindset that if there is going to be global roster spots they will do whatever it takes to maximize the talent they will be bringing in for those roles.  Its refreshing and no wonder Winnipeg ended up with the best global player from last year.

54 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I was happy to read Walter's comments on how much work the Global Scouting is.  I mean its too bad its so much extra work but I'm happy that he doesn't view the work as optional.  There was a time before Walters took over where Winnipeg wasn't even willing to turn over every stone to find a helpful Canadian player.  I remember talking to a CFL agent at that time when Winnipeg had serious snapping problems and they weren't even willing to go an look at a decent young snapper who was living in Winnipeg who ended up signing with a different team. Like they wouldn't even put in the effort. Now Winnipeg is clearly of the mindset that if there is going to be global roster spots they will do whatever it takes to maximize the talent they will be bringing in for those roles.  Its refreshing and no wonder Winnipeg ended up with the best global player from last year.

Definitely. I know a lot of people dump on Ambrosie's global CFL 2.0 plan. But, I give the CFL credit for trying an approach that at least may find some talent elsewhere, is innovative,  and might increase fan interest in other countries. 

I do not think that this "global expansion" was all about finding better players. I see that as a bonus if such can be found, but more likely it has to do with advertising. International companieslike Coca cola, Adidas, and Ford are more likely to advertise and pay well for programming that are watched in Europe, Asia, South /America etc.

55 minutes ago, Mike said:

Mulumba didn't participate in the combine, since he's going to the NFL (highlighting the biggest issue with this CFL 2.0 initiative) and the other Finland combine guy who played US college ball didn't make it due to travel issues.

Seems strange to me that a guy who was a Senior in 2018 and only recorded 1 sack would be going to the NFL in 2020. 

55 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I do not think that this "global expansion" was all about finding better players. I see that as a bonus if such can be found, but more likely it has to do with advertising. International companieslike Coca cola, Adidas, and Ford are more likely to advertise and pay well for programming that are watched in Europe, Asia, South /America etc.

Yeah..  It truely has mostly to do with trying to increase revenues and interest in the CFL more than it has to do with upgrading talent.  They could always add more americans if the only motivation is talent. The only place where I see it being more about upgrading talent is at the Canadian College level. Less Canadians are playing football and eventually that is going to downgrade the Canadian product. So they are allowing for global players to come up to Canadian College and eventually count as a Canadian.

59 minutes ago, Mike said:

Mulumba didn't participate in the combine, since he's going to the NFL (highlighting the biggest issue with this CFL 2.0 initiative) and the other Finland combine guy who played US college ball didn't make it due to travel issues.

Isn't that the biggest issue with basically everything CFL though? The best talent will go where the money is.

8 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Seems strange to me that a guy who was a Senior in 2018 and only recorded 1 sack would be going to the NFL in 2020. 

It does. But he's heading there. Tells you about his potential.