2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

3 hours ago, Tiny759 said:

It probably would be a negative reaction, so why not this. Have a mandatory 7 Canadian starters but take out the min of 21 Canadians on roster. This way we don’t have to watch guys like Jeff Hecht play

Isn't Hecht down in the States for tryouts?

16 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Sure, tell an American coach who has spent little or no time in this country as a coach with no ratio to adhere to on his team that a football player from Dauphin, MB is better than a football player from Lincoln, Nebraska. Where Americans have better coaching & competition they'll keep a Canadian over an American. 

Ahh here we go, coaching bias. While yes there is some bias from American coach’s, wouldn’t it mean they are a bad coach if they kind determine who is the better talent? But you are also assuming the the guy from dauphin (let’s say Troy Westwood) is a better football player than the American. Also which coach in the cfl hasn’t already been in the cfl for a long time or is a Canadian.

1 hour ago, Tiny759 said:

Ahh here we go, coaching bias. While yes there is some bias from American coach’s, wouldn’t it mean they are a bad coach if they kind determine who is the better talent? But you are also assuming the the guy from dauphin (let’s say Troy Westwood) is a better football player than the American. Also which coach in the cfl hasn’t already been in the cfl for a long time or is a Canadian.

Some bias? More like complete bias. Very few Canadians would be starting in the CFL if any, if there are no ratio rules. So, you'll get your wish with no Canadian qbs. As well as no other positions played by Canadians as well. 

13 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Some bias? More like complete bias. Very few Canadians would be starting in the CFL if any, if there are no ratio rules. So, you'll get your wish with no Canadian qbs. As well as no other positions played by Canadians as well. 

It’s like arguing with a kid. It’s not my wish for no canadian qbs to ever play.  And you are really over exaggerating. Coach’s will put in the player that gives them the best shot to win. I mean Canadians play in the nfl right? And I would think those coach’s are more biased then the coach’s in the cfl. If the goal of the cfl is to grow internationally, and nationally then I don’t believe this mandatory Canadians is going to work. The younger generation doesn’t care where the player is from, they want the best player available playing that will give them the most excitement. That player can be American canadian, global. You can’t say taking the minimum number of Canadians out will ruin football in Canada, because you don’t get to speak for the hundreds of thousands of kids and what motivates them.

4 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

It’s like arguing with a kid. It’s not my wish for no canadian qbs to ever play.  And you are really over exaggerating. Coach’s will put in the player that gives them the best shot to win. I mean Canadians play in the nfl right? And I would think those coach’s are more biased then the coach’s in the cfl. If the goal of the cfl is to grow internationally, and nationally then I don’t believe this mandatory Canadians is going to work. The younger generation doesn’t care where the player is from, they want the best player available playing that will give them the most excitement. That player can be American canadian, global. You can’t say taking the minimum number of Canadians out will ruin football in Canada, because you don’t get to speak for the hundreds of thousands of kids and what motivates them.

Arguing with a kid? Oh, I wish. By this time next year I could be collecting my pension, if I want to. You haven't said anything to sway my opinion. You haven't proved your point. If you want me to change my mind, then convince me why I should. Throw me a bone. You can't. If eliminating the ratio was a such good idea it would have been done by now. It hasn't been because the negatives of doing so would outweigh anything positive. 

23 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

The younger generation doesn’t care where the player is from, they want the best player available playing that will give them the most excitement.

Much too simplistic. Part of the reason the young generation is attracted to the CFL game and it’s many intricacies is the diversity shown in the rules and the Canadian aspect. Did I care when I was young whether a player was Canadian or not? No, but when I found out how it worked, I was in on it. They were Canadians playing a Canadian game. What’s not to love?

I would argue the younger generation, when shown our game, will grow up to love the game no matter who’s the who behind the line of scrimmage.

14 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Arguing with a kid? Oh, I wish. By this time next year I could be collecting my pension, if I want to. You haven't said anything to sway my opinion. You haven't proved your point. If you want me to change my mind, then convince me why I should. Throw me a bone. You can't. If eliminating the ratio was a such good idea it would have been done by now. It hasn't been because the negatives of doing so would outweigh anything positive. 

That’s fine I don’t have to change your opinion. I said before let’s agree to disagree. But you kept on. The same could be said for you that you haven’t proved your point whatever that may be.

2 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

That’s fine I don’t have to change your opinion. I said before let’s agree to disagree. But you kept on. The same could be said for you that you haven’t proved your point whatever that may be.

At least I gave alternatives as to why getting rid of the ratio would be a bad idea. You didn't with your opinion. If you don't want this to continue then quit trying to put in the last word. Let it go. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Much too simplistic. Part of the reason the young generation is attracted to the CFL game and it’s many intricacies is the diversity shown in the rules and the Canadian aspect. Did I care when I was young whether a player was Canadian or not? No, but when I found out how it worked, I was in on it. They were Canadians playing a Canadian game. What’s not to love?

I would argue the younger generation, when shown our game, will grow up to love the game no matter who’s the who behind the line of scrimmage.

I agree. I think over time they will grow into it. But you have to get them in the seat some how. But I don’t believe the game will grow based off the fact of a Canadian identity and they would still be competing to gain young viewers attention from the nfl. But I ya I agree with you for the most part.

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

At least I gave alternatives as to why getting rid of the ratio would be a bad idea. You didn't with your opinion. If you don't want this to continue then quit trying to put in the last word. Let it go. 

Well I mean I did with saying best players available playing would make the game more interesting. Usually a better quality is a good thing. But fair well then my friend! Enjoy your weekend.

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The ratio will never go away. It's here to stay. 

That may be optimistic, if more and more Canadians play in the NFL where their is no ratio rules i can see it changing someday...definitely being reduced is probably down the line especially when so many first round draft picks are taking that NFL shot first. Really puts the CFL teams in a bind now.

I think the Canadian game still absolutely needs Canadians playing. Do I think each team needs to have 21 or 7 starters? Nope. 3 starters would be fine with me and those 3 or 4 starters would be marquis top end Canadian players.

just my 2 cents. The depth has to be getting thin especially if a team in Halifax *crosses fingers* is on the way

I don't think I'd watch CFL football without Canadians playing.......now I say "I don't think..." because I am unsure just how deep my love for WBB FC runs, and if it would allow me to get past the whole "no Canadians" thing, but if there's a God, then I'll never have to find out...

Its not just the younguns. I'm in my 60's and I'd watch the CFL even if they didn't have a ratio. It's the game that matters to me, not the birth certificates or however else they decide a player is 'Canadian'.

'No ratio' doesn't mean what a lot of folks think it does.

It doesn't mean no USports. Lots of folks play sports for the fun of it, not to get a job from it. Most USports players aren't making the CFL anyway.

It doesn't mean no Canadians on teams. 8 or 10 players on each team would still get a job, some as starters others as backups. Just like our best make the NFL, the best would still make it. The rest wouldn't.

It doesn't mean no home town hero's making the team. The marketing advantages alone would make sure that doesn't happen.

It doesn't mean a stronger CFL or the death of the CFL.