2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Make Canadian qbs count against the ratio like other positions. That way another American can start elsewhere. Just like starting a Canadian RB a la Andrew Harris would help. What's it called? Oh yeah, a "ratio breaker". 

Most anyone would get behind that. I would, but the players need to be able to play. Andrew harris is the best running back in the league. Being Canadian is a bonus.  Counting against the ratio won't magically make Brandon Bridge the best qb in the cfl.

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Make Canadian qbs count against the ratio like other positions. That way another American can start elsewhere. Just like starting a Canadian RB a la Andrew Harris would help. What's it called? Oh yeah, a "ratio breaker". 

I think that the league is saying that when it comes to the QB position, the most skilled of all skill positions, the only think that will matter is talent.  So if the kid in question has the talent to play QB at the pro level, he'll play.  If he doesn't have the talent he won't, unless he can play another position.  Is that fair?  Maybe not, but I've never seen a poster in a college or pro  locker room that guaranteed fair treatment.

16 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

There are qbs in U Sports who can play but need a chance to develop. But simply saying they can't is painting every qb with a wide brush. I don't agree with your assessment. Now when I say develop a Canadian qb I don't mean every one on every team in U Sports. However, if a player shows potential he should get the chance. Maybe that's 1 qb every 3 to 5 years. Like the 2 Canadian qbs on the Argos roster from Laval & UBC. Perhaps Chris Merchant from Western. They should get a legit shot at making a CFL team. As far as producing quick dividends developing Canadian OL that has sure proven to be wrong. Look how long it took Michael Couture to become a starter & Goosen before him. Every team has OL from U Sports that took years to develop. It's not easy nor is it a given these OLwill become CFL starters.

So why not get rid of the ratio and let the best man play? If the cis qbs are good enough they should beat out the college ones.

1 hour ago, Tiny759 said:

So why not get rid of the ratio and let the best man play? If the cis qbs are good enough they should beat out the college ones.

You know, I believe that Canadian qbs should be developed but I'm not going to keep defending my opinion on every anti Canadian qb poster here who doesn't agree. It's my opinion & time to move on.

3 hours ago, Goldkobra said:

Most anyone would get behind that. I would, but the players need to be able to play. Andrew harris is the best running back in the league. Being Canadian is a bonus.  Counting against the ratio won't magically make Brandon Bridge the best qb in the cfl.

No, but it at least levels the playing field a bit. 

2 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

I think that the league is saying that when it comes to the QB position, the most skilled of all skill positions, the only think that will matter is talent.  So if the kid in question has the talent to play QB at the pro level, he'll play.  If he doesn't have the talent he won't, unless he can play another position.  Is that fair?  Maybe not, but I've never seen a poster in a college or pro  locker room that guaranteed fair treatment.

And I agree. What I'm saying if a kid from a Canadian university has the tools then why not try to develop him like we do other positions. I'm not saying Canadian qbs should start. I'm saying give teams a reason to legitimately try. No guarantees. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You know, I believe that Canadian qbs should be developed but I'm not going to keep defending my opinion on every anti Canadian qb poster here who doesn't agree. It's my opinion & time to move on.

So I’m anti Canadian qb bcuz I want the best of the best playing regardless if they are American Canadian global? And ya they should get developed, but that starts with better university programs. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What do you think the reaction would be across the country if the ratio was eliminated? Think about it. 

It probably would be a negative reaction, so why not this. Have a mandatory 7 Canadian starters but take out the min of 21 Canadians on roster. This way we don’t have to watch guys like Jeff Hecht play

11 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

It probably would be a negative reaction, so why not this. Have a mandatory 7 Canadian starters but take out the min of 21 Canadians on roster. This way we don’t have to watch guys like Jeff Hecht play

When the CFL floated its idea of 5 Canadian starters before the CBA negotiations last year the negative reaction was huge. Any reduction of Canadian players would be met with negative opposition. 

26 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

So I’m anti Canadian qb bcuz I want the best of the best playing regardless if they are American Canadian global? And ya they should get developed, but that starts with better university programs. 

You won't have the best players playing. That's a fallacy. It'll be guys who were out of the NFL unemployed. Or college players not good enough to play anywhere. Some will be good. Others won't be. You saw the AAF last year. The CFL will become that. Attendance will be affected because most fans will be upset Canadians don't play anymore. Perhaps the tv contract with TSN is affected too because the CFL doesn't play Canadians. A significant percentage of fans would not watch the CFL anymore. Salaries will fall with cheaper & younger American players. With no more Canadian players, the rules will become 4 down football. Lots of possible fallout if the ratio is removed. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

17 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You won't have the best players playing. That's a fallacy. It'll be guys who were out of the NFL unemployed. Or college players not good enough to play anywhere. Some will be good. Others won't be. You saw the AAF last year. The CFL will become that. Attendance will be affected because most fans will be upset Canadians don't play anymore. Perhaps the tv contract with TSN is affected too because the CFL doesn't play Canadians. A significant percentage of fans would not watch the CFL anymore. Salaries will fall with cheaper & younger American players. With no more Canadian players, the rules will become 4 down football. Lots of possible fallout if the ratio is removed. 

Ok well yes and no.  But let me ask why wouldn’t the best players be playing?  

41 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

Ok well yes and no.  But let me ask why wouldn’t the best players be playing?  

As I said, they won't be the best players. Far from it. Be careful what you wish for. This is a uniquely CANADIAN league.  Canadian players are a huge part of the history & also part of the fabric of the CFL. Some Canadians were part of the best players who ever played. You take that out of it & the league may not survive. 

11 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

As I said, they won't be the best players. Far from it. Be careful what you wish for. This is a uniquely CANADIAN league.  Canadian players are a huge part of the history & also part of the fabric of the CFL. Some Canadians were part of the best players who ever played. You take that out of it & the league may not survive. 

Well I’m not for taking out Canadians, but my questions still stands, why wouldn’t the best players play? 

15 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

Well I’m not for taking out Canadians, but my questions still stands, why wouldn’t the best players play? 

But you are for taking out Canadians. You said you wanted to see the ratio eliminated which means Canadians won't play if teams aren't mandated  to do so. Kids in high school won't play football if they have little or no chance to play in the CFL. Which means football at the U Sports level will dry up. These Canadian players that are getting chances to play in the NFL today coming out of U Sports won't have that chance anymore because most won't be offered NCAA scholarships. Football will cease to be a serious organized sport in this country.  That's why the Canadian ratio in the CFL is so important even if guys like Jeff Hecht play. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

20 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

But you are for taking out Canadians. You said you wanted to see the ratio eliminated which means Canadians won't play if teams aren't mandated  to do so. Kids in high school won't play football if they have little or no chance to play in the CFL. Which means football at the U Sports level will dry up. These Canadian players that are getting chances to play in the NFL today coming out of U Sports won't have that chance anymore because most won't be offered NCAA scholarships. Football will cease to be a serious organized sport in this country.  That's why the Canadian ratio in the CFL is so important even if guys like Jeff Hecht play. 

Well I actually said keep 7 Canadian starters but get rid of the min of 21 Canadian rule. But we will just have to agree to disagree bcuz we are just gonna go in circles 

1 hour ago, Tiny759 said:

Well I actually said keep 7 Canadian starters but get rid of the min of 21 Canadian rule. But we will just have to agree to disagree bcuz we are just gonna go in circles 

So, on a CFL team, we'll have 36 Americans, 7 Canadians & 2 Internationals. Yeah, that'll grow the game for sure in this country. 

10 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So, on a CFL team, we'll have 36 Americans, 7 Canadians & 2 Internationals. Yeah, that'll grow the game for sure in this country. 

Nope never said that at all. But go ahead and put words in my mouth. If you take away the 21 minimum rule doesn’t mean you take all Americans in their place. It means you take the best available player whether it be global, American or Canadian. 

2 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

Nope never said that at all. But go ahead and put words in my mouth. If you take away the 21 minimum rule doesn’t mean you take all Americans in their place. It means you take the best available player whether it be global, American or Canadian. 

Sure, tell an American coach who has spent little or no time in this country as a coach with no ratio to adhere to on his team that a football player from Dauphin, MB is better than a football player from Lincoln, Nebraska. Where Americans have better coaching & competition they'll keep a Canadian over an American.