2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Serious question - do you think you’d care this much if your son didn’t play QB? 

Well, he hasn't played since 2015 so his playing days are over & therefore I have no more skin in the game, so to speak. I do feel that if we don't at least TRY to develop these U Sports qbs then why have 7 starters that have to be Canadian? Just get rid of the ratio & let all Americans play. Then watch the interest in the CFL start to wane especially with high school aged players who would probably decide not to play the sport as there'd be no way they could make a CFL team.

There has been talk of reducing Canadian starters to 5 with that idea getting a lot of blow back from fans. So, I'd suggest a lot of people actually do care if Canadian qbs do play.  So, to answer your question, if my son didn't play qb then no, I'd probably not care. However, having a son playing qb NCAA D2 at SFU, I saw first hand the way the CFL ignores Canadian qbs like they don't even exist.

Since that time, the CFL & U Sports have a program where young qbs spend training camp with CFL teams. That wasn't really available back in the days my son played. Had it been, my son would have been ineligible to participate as it would have contravened the rules of the NCAA as he would have been considered a professional & not be allowed to play his senior year back then. U Sports has no such rule. Having said that though, I still think we should be developing young Canadian qbs if they have the potential to eventually start. 

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Most NATs when they are drafted are very close to their IMP competition in talent and development EXCEPT at the QB level where IMP QBS are vastly, vastly...did I mention vastly?....superior. For that reason your comparison is null and void. Fact of the matter is that maybe every 5 years a NAT QB in the CIS is good enough to earn a legit shot at the CFL. The others would be a complete waste of time and effort as they would NEVER develop to a point that they would offer a CFL team anything of value. I'm sorry if that's harsh but that's just the reality.

Your first sentence... Not. A. Chance. Don't tell me a linebacker from Saint Mary's is almost as good as a linebacker from an American FBS or FCS team. My son played in Northern California before he came to SFU. He played against these crazy athletes from America Samoa. These guys were pushing 300 lbs & could run down running backs from behind. Super strong, athletic & lightning fast there is no ******* way any Canadian in U Sports would have played against guys that good. That's just the Samoans. For every one great player U Sports produces there are 10-20 NCAA players as good or better than him. I watched enough college games down south in person to say you're 100% wrong. The Canadians get the chance to develop because they have talent, potential & the ratio to allow it to happen. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 hours ago, Booch said:

I don't get the public's clamoring or whining/longing for a Canadian QB...Personally I could care less, and I would never want an inferior player playing just because of ratio..we have enough of that already. I like the game for the game itself, not because it gives a Canadian a chance to play further after college...sure it's nice, but doesn't sell the game for me. Too many times a good player is sent packing to have a roster of guys ..many of whom wouldn't even get starting sniffs in Div 1 NCAA even tho being a "pro"...that's just the facts

Further to that they should have had a provision years ago that a player (import) with a total of 4 consecutive years with same team can become a National, help with team continuity, reward an import for loyalty and also allow them to have more earning power...thats my take on that...and by the way..I am a Canadian former ball player...I want to see the best players available playing within reason and within a ratio...but i would not shed a tear to see the number of true Nationals starting lowered...a lot of talent has walked awy, or refused to come here in the past cause players talk amoung themselves and many Imports have been deterred from coming up after talking to guys who told them not to waste time because they prob get cut so team can keep an inferior Canadian.."cause thats what they do up there"....

Booch, please don't take this the wrong way when I say it. I don't know what CFL team you played for or your real name but could you have been one of those Canadians who would have been kept over an American? You used a pretty broad brush there when you posted  your message. 

8 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Your first sentence... Not. A. Chance. Don't tell me a linebacker from Saint Mary's is almost as good as a linebacker from an American FBS or FCS team. My son played in Northern California before he came to SFU. He played against these crazy athletes from America Samoa. These guys were pushing 300 lbs & could run down running backs from behind. Super strong, athletic & lightning fast there is no ******* way any Canadian in U Sports would have played against these guys. That's just the Samoans. For every one great player U Sports produces there are 10-20 as good or better than him. I watched enough college games down south in person to say you're 100% wrong. The Canadians get the nchaance to develop because they have talent, potential & the ratio to allow it to happen. 

Totally agree...Prospects coming out of an NCAA program leaps and bounds better than their CIS counter parts, mainly due to playing since 5 (pop warner) much like a Canadian kid playing hockey, better coaching and facilities, better competition and better support right through from highschool to College Graduation...those extra 5-10 years of exposure as a kid/college athlete is huuuuge.

I participated in several levels, both side of boarder and I can attest...its not even close other than the rare athlete in a CIS program every now and then who may be at par..

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Booch, please don't take this the wrong way when I say it. I don't know what CFL team you played for or your real name but could you have been one of those Canadians who would have been kept over an American? You used a pretty broad brush there when you posted  your message. 

No worries, maybe as a raw rookie perhaps, but was at a different time where positions were largely dictated by Nationality for most part, so hard to gauge..also coming from an NCAA program then also gave you a leg up and a bit of advantage as the perception was you were better than your Canadian conterparts trained in Canada, and "similar" to your American competition, but even then the gap was noticeable

My ace in whole was I could long snap and took reps in games on offence as full back/te as well as Linebacker throughout my days

Marshall is your average cornerback in the league...decent but not shut down like Rider fans like to think...plus takes stupid penalties and is a me first guy before being a total teamate..keeping him, or losing him would have had the same net result there...Moncrief loss though is a ouch for them...they gonna miss him

19 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

No, there is no advantage having a Canadian qb on the roster. They don't count vs the ratio. I don't know if that rule has changed or not. 

There's no advantage to having an American QB on the roster either. They are there because they are good enough to be there.

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

Yes but Toronto and BC have a huge advantage with quality of life compared to Saskatchewan..In B.C. Lions players probably don't get recognized at all, in Sask they are stars.

You can dislike Sask and their fans as much as you want, but they love their team.

Lions players are kind of non entities in BC compared to Roughrider, (and Bomber)  players, who are held in high esteem by the teams fans/city/province.

Has to mean a fair bit to the players.

Edited by Mark F

36 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I find it weird that Montreal has an offensive coordinator and a pass coordinator.

Also KJ may be spreading himself a bit too thin in taking three roles on: HC, OC and QB coach.

To be honest a secondary role as QB coach won't have much extra work load on him..a lot of the positional coach job's in general aren't very taxing at this point in a players career...

2 hours ago, Mark F said:

You can dislike Sask and their fans as much as you want, but they love their team.

Lions players are kind of non entities in BC compared to Roughrider, (and Bomber)  players, who are held in high esteem by the teams fans/city/province.

Has to mean a fair bit to the players.

Many players would rather be able to go out and do something in their spare time....

The adulation is a bonus but not something that will sway players.

23 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

The CFL has too many 'special' statuses. Imports, DI's, Non-Import, Globals, QB's and now quasi-NI Imports. Just give me NI's (7 minimum to be maintained) and  non-NI's. That's all we really need.

would that be non-non-imports?

22 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

There seems to still be no answer to the concern over faked injuries. You know..  A guy like Thomas Miles is listed as the starter at middle linebacker and Bighill is one of the Nationalised Americans.  Miles fakes and injury on the opening kick off and then Bighill replaces him.   What im looking for is the specific details on how this will work. 

Integrity?

3 hours ago, Geebrr said:

55 seconds

He managed to horse collar a guy and not get called for it... is that considered a specialized skill?