2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

29 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Arbuckle to Ottawa.

https://3downnation.com/2020/01/03/redblacks-acquire-qb-nick-arbuckle-in-trade-with-stampeders/

By my count that means, we get one of Nichols or Collaros back.

Hmmm.....Huffer is going all-in on Mitchell and may live to regret it.  And Ottawa paid surprisingly little in exchange.

Edited by Tracker

2 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Hmmm.....Huffer is going all-in on Mitchell and may live to regret it.  And Ottawa paid surprisingly little in exchange.

I'm sure Huffer is counting on his seemingly-endless pipeline of quality QBs to produce yet another for him, should BLM go down...

5 minutes ago, Tracker said:

100% Arbuckle was gone. He wasnt going to be sitting behind Bo when there would be teams asking for him to come in and at the very least compete to start. Cgy got WAY more for Arbuckle then I thought they were going to get.

27 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Interesting. I thought for sure Arbuckle would be heading to TO. I really hope Walters is speaking with Collaros to try and get him signed now. He is at the very least healthy enough to start day 1. Nichols is not (as of now). And if we lose out on Collaros we could really be in a bind.

Arbuckle can still end up in Toronto if he doesn't like what Ottawa is offering.

What's the status of Nichols throwing shoulder, anyone? Is he throwing with velocity yet? To me, he's always had a bit of a noodle arm and now the shoulder is an unknown post-surgery QB shoulder. I thought I read somewhere he may not be ready for TC.  Man, if we lose Strev to the NFL there are going to be lots of question marks around the QB prospects here in 2020.  Might have to dust off Buck.

Thought for sure that Nichols was going to be targeted by Lapo,,,,Still might happen I guess, but there's no way Arbuckle signs if he isn't guaranteed the no 1 spot....Matt as a back-up in Ottawa????could be if the RB's are nervous going with 'Fatty' right out of the gate....I think our main target should be Collaros now and hope Streve doesn't like what he's seeing down south and re-ups with us'''Going with the winning combo we had to close the season ain't too bad...Quarterback domino's starting to fall,,,Ball is now in our court to make a move

4 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Quite the change of heart.....Huffer might have had a second thought after watching other clubs allowing the exodus

100% it's because of the other clubs.  Making your pending free agents wait around and potentially watch their NFL opportunities evaporate is not a great way to attract/retain players especially when you see other teams not holding guys back.

Stamps get a 3rd rounder to talk with Arbuckle. They get another pick if Arbuckle signs, which I expect he will. Arbuckle wasn't staying in Calgary anyway so Huffer got what he could from Ottawa.

It surprises me that Ottawa is willing to go with another mostly unproven QB after what happened to them last year. It also surprises me that PLAP, whose had both Nichols and Collaros run his offence, would rather go with Arbuckle.

Question is back to Nichols or Collaros for us and for Toronto.

I think we have already been slam-pondering about the QB situation even before trading for Collaros. Ottawa sends a draft pick to Calgary for the right to talk with Arbuckle. Sound familiar? 
While we sit here and fret over our non-nickel plated QB, who knows the health of both Nichols and Streveler.

All’s I know is we have to keep Streveler in the fold. 
Nichols will heal. Will he be effective? Who knows, but how many thought Fajardo would be so effective.

Announcements will be coming faster and faster, but first....announce our OC. If it’s Buck, then they already have a good handle on it. If it’s not Buck, well then,

the sky is falling, the sky is falling

18 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Stamps get a 3rd rounder to talk with Arbuckle. They get another pick if Arbuckle signs, which I expect he will. Arbuckle wasn't staying in Calgary anyway so Huffer got what he could from Ottawa.

It surprises me that Ottawa is willing to go with another mostly unproven QB after what happened to them last year. It also surprises me that PLAP, whose had both Nichols and Collaros run his offence, would rather go with Arbuckle.

Question is back to Nichols or Collaros for us and for Toronto.

Last year was a disaster.  They didn't have a good offensive co-ordinator and Dom Davis was already somebody who had shown that he wasn't good enough.  With a good offensive co-ordinator Jennings would have been somewhat ok. Arbuckle has come out of a good system and performed quite well in Bo's absence. You might even say he was better than Bo. Its a smaller sample size no doubt but with Lapo and potentially a good running game there I think Arbuckle will be fine. 

Thought we would have heard who our OC is going to be by now... Buck or whoever...Nothing like looking like what direction we're headed in with regards to a very important position this season...Could there be a dark horse vying for the job that we are considering???hmmmmm

7 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Thought we would have heard who our OC is going to be by now... Buck or whoever...Nothing like looking like what direction we're headed in with regards to a very important position this season...Could there be a dark horse vying for the job that we are considering???hmmmmm

Most likely all decided and just not announced yet....they're never in a rush to announce stuff to the public.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

100% Arbuckle was gone. He wasnt going to be sitting behind Bo when there would be teams asking for him to come in and at the very least compete to start. Cgy got WAY more for Arbuckle then I thought they were going to get.

now chalk this one up to "believe what you want to believe" but when I was in Calgary for GC, our Uber driver on the way to the convention centre Saturday night (his vehicle decked top to bottom in Flames & Stamps swag) was telling me that in order to get Bo Levi to stick with the Stamps after the Argos offered him more money, that they guaranteed his contract for 3 years.  Even if he were to get cut, the money is guaranteed.  I've never heard of such a thing in the CFL, and again, believe what you want... but he was pretty passionately talking about how that pissed a lot of fans off.   Has anyone else heard of this being the case with Mitchell??

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Most likely all decided and just not announced yet....they're never in a rush to announce stuff to the public.

Yes, this staff likes to get things aligned and potential pieces are always debated and talked over. There’s more than 1 person involved although I doubt they’ll let LaPolice have any say anymore. 
Frankly, I’m not worried when they’re not leaking. Last year, when it became known we were targeting certain receivers (Posy, Burnham, and Walker) it became clear we weren’t getting them..for money. No sweat for us. No rings for them.

They do know what they’re doing.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Maybe his preference was for Nichols or Collaros, but neither want to go there and get pounded into the TD Place turf.

2 hours ago, Geebrr said:

A rebuilding team takes a QB looking to start that showed some ability last year.

A real off the board move.

Arbuckle is ideal for Lapo.  A guy who can make all the throws for that modified West Coast offense that challenges the D horizontally with the odd vertical shot, plus a guy who can grab a few yards with his legs.  A lot like the guy who had the most success running Lapo's O (not counting Khari Jones, that's a different era)....Steven Jyles.  I think Ottawa's O will be fine.  Their D needs a full on rebuild.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules