2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

4 hours ago, Zontar said:

He said he wants Masoli to come back. One big happy family. ..until the inevitable cries of "Start Masoli!"

Or as Evans  is delegated as number 2 once Masoli is deemed healthy to play as he is making significantly  more money than Evans this coming season. This one big happy family thing won't last. 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Nothing wrong with being a veteran back up. Look how long Glenn lasted in that role 

At the time of the injury, Masoli was the best qb in the CFL. Why would he be expected or be happy to be #2 in Hamilton? I believe that Masoli wasn't signed to be the backup. He was signed to start. Perhaps Ti Cat coaches & management weren't happy with Evans after the Grey Cup game as he looked to be in a huge snit the more hits & sacks he took. He  was yelling at his blockers & his body language was terrible. I remember Jim Barker trying to calm Evans down on the sidelines.  Mentally he had checked out of the Grey Cup game by the third quarter. Perhaps Steinhauer felt Evans needs another year to watch & learn how to remain calm & handle pressure? Just speculating here. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

35 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

At the time of the injury, Masoli was the best qb in the CFL. Why would he be expected or be happy to be #2 in Hamilton? I believe that Masoli wasn't signed to be the backup. He was signed to start. Perhaps Ti Cat coaches & management weren't happy with Evans after the Grey Cup game as he looked to be in a huge snit the more hits & sacks he took. He  was yelling at his blockers & his body language was terrible. I remember Jim Barker trying to calm Evans down on the sidelines.  Mentally he had checked out of the Grey Cup game by the third quarter. Perhaps Steinhauer felt Evans needs another year to watch & learn how to remain calm & handle pressure? Just speculating here. 

With his 9 TD's and 7 INT's ???  Compared to Dane Evans 21 TD's and 13 INT's despite having much less experience???  Say whaaaat?

So to put it in perspective... you are saying Hamilton would rather go with a guy coming off a major injury,  who is 6 years older,  much more mileage,  had an inferior statistical season, who didn't take the team to a grey cup, who more then likely won't be healthy at the beginning of the season over the young guy who showed more in one season then Masoli did in his previous 5?

Organization is all in on Evans.

He won't lose starting job unless he has the worst camp of his life and Masoli , if hes even there, vice versa, in other words, improbable. 

Reg season? Wheels would have to come completely off multiple times and Masoli will have to be demonstrably better, again, I don't know how realistic a scenario that is.

Masoli parked his career for a season in the primo parking spot. Facing out, close to the door, easy out...whole issue starts all over again late 2020....if he isn't traded by then.

Edited by Zontar

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Maybe they will use a 2 QB system to keep both guys happy once Masoli is fully healed. Unconventional for sure, but it could work in this specific situation.

Could see second / third and short packages with Masoli running. But he's been reluctant to run like he used to and that was before his injury.

6 hours ago, Zontar said:

Organization is all in on Evans.

He won't lose starting job unless he has the worst camp of his life and Masoli , if hes even there, vice versa, in other words, improbable. 

Reg season? Wheels would have to come completely off multiple times and Masoli will have to be demonstrably better, again, I don't know how realistic a scenario that is.

Masoli parked his career for a season in the primo parking spot. Facing out, close to the door, easy out...whole issue starts all over again late 2020....if he isn't traded by then.

You guys are in a great situation... 

Dane is a really good QB, of he continues his growth, he will be in the elite group of QBs. The only time he lost his poise and looked flustered all season was in the Grey Cup - the fact he never had anytime to in pocket was probably the reason. But other than that game where we dominated the LoS, Dane has looked really good. 

Having Masoli healing up and ready for the second half push and into the Play offs will be great for the Ticats. 

I don't see a trade at all for Masoli, the only way that happens is if the Ticats don't make the Play offs... And I don't foresee that happening, i am fully expecting to see the ticats in the GC.

If we aren't in the GC, I am totally rooting for the Ticats.

43 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Yup. One year for a guy who says he wants to stay for life (just sayin)

What if he signs for 3 and gets traded?  Then he’s screwed himself.  Better to sign for 1, then you have some control of where you go if things don’t work out.

1 hour ago, baxter said:

What if he signs for 3 and gets traded?  Then he’s screwed himself.  Better to sign for 1, then you have some control of where you go if things don’t work out.

Was being sarcastic. A lot of people here are in love with " I wanna be here for life" and looking the other way on the length of the deal. They don't want to harsh the "one big happy family" vibe.

33 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Was being sarcastic. A lot of people here are in love with " I wanna be here for life" and looking the other way on the length of the deal. They don't want to harsh the "one big happy family" vibe.

I’m sure a lot of guys say they want to be there for life, while thinking  “ as long as they pay me what I want”

On 2019-12-23 at 6:11 PM, Booch said:

And a team with at moment the whole oline as free agents. The whole linebacking crew..half the defensive backfield and 3 starting receivers..their punter..and really no depth currently on club.. and if  they lose a canadian or 2 in free agency..they are royally screwed...yup..set up for years

and as fortunate as they were last year, and they really did have a lot of good fortune, it really was the worst of all possible years with their biggest nightmare coming true just when it seemed that it all was going to work out in their favour.

The nightmare was cataclysmic and included losing at home in the playoffs in dramatic style, losing to us, their arch nemesis, and then having to sit and watch us win it all.

You just know they were writhing in agony over there having gone from finishing in first in the West and daring to believe they were the best team in the CFL to being crushed mercilessly again and again and again. I almost feel sorry for them, kinda like the fly that has it's wings torn off.

I'm sure death would have been preferable for many of them compared to watching us celebrate the Grey Cup victory by whipping a 15-3 team.

On 2019-12-29 at 1:00 PM, Booch said:

I almost think it was restructured to yes..take handcuffs of the team..but also to make him more traceable.. they get right offer..I can see him traded

Huffing is no fool and if he sees that they can accomplish same thing with Arbuckle..and for 150..200k less he wont hesitate to move him

What's interesting about the off-season is that it becomes a battle of the GMs. You can bet that Huffer doesn't like the nice work that Walters has done in Winnipeg and will be looking to out-do his counterpart. Let the chess game begin.

On 2019-12-31 at 1:23 PM, Zontar said:

Masoli re-sign.

Would have comfortably bet against it...my guess is there was too much uncertainty around the injury for Masoli to test the market so why not wait it out a year?  All my friends are here, know the system...and perhaps a chance to get my job back ?

Do you think Evans performance in the Grey Cup had something to do with it? Do the Cats figure that maybe with Masoli they win that game?

20 minutes ago, J5V said:

Do you think Evans performance in the Grey Cup had something to do with it? Do the Cats figure that maybe with Masoli they win that game?

If everyone except Evans played well Evans' brand would have taken a hit for sure. But the GC loss was a group effort. No way in hell Masoli makes any sort of difference.

Edited by Zontar

387 in hard money for Masoli with up to 460 with playing time.

That would definitely qualify as an overpay, imo, but considering about half of that will not count against the cap it was a necessary evil for having two legit qb's which is necessary in today's CFL. Overpaying was a shrewd move by their GM

Provides stability in 2020 for Hamilton then they go all in with a big raise to Evans in 2021. If Masoli doesn't take a Kevin Glenn 200k contract in 2021 he hits the bricks.

Edited by Dr Zaius

I hate to say this and maybe it says alot about Masoli and his injury but why would he not at least wait until FA time and hear what Ottawa has to offer? He would be guaranteed to start and any QB worth anything has to be the No.1,if you want to be a backup might as well retire in my books...

31 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Thinking more on the lines of being the undisputed No.1, but you make some good points.

Also I'd assume the comfort level of playing with a group of guys he knows in a system he's comfortable with in comparison to going to Ottawa or Toronto where he starts off fresh and playing on a potential dumpster fire of a team.  

12 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Also I'd assume the comfort level of playing with a group of guys he knows in a system he's comfortable with in comparison to going to Ottawa or Toronto where he starts off fresh and playing on a potential dumpster fire of a team.  

Yes again good points but when there is that fire to be No.1 and prove you are among the best in the league typically these type of things don't play into it, you just want the reins to do what you do best...and with Lapolice there you would at least have that support.

14 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Yes again good points but when there is that fire to be No.1 and prove you are among the best in the league typically these type of things don't play into it, you just want the reins to do what you do best...and with Lapolice there you would at least have that support.

Maybe some guys value loyalty and a greater chance at winning the cup?