2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It's always a gamble when you pay your starter big money. Look at Reilly in BC. Willy signed for big bucks here & played himself off the team. 

Both of these examples are more of: shitty roster management and shittier talent along the o-line than a gamble on the quarterback themselves.

Reilly was sacked on average 5 tomes a game for the first half of the season and was hit more than twice that amount and hurried even more.... you can't produce under that kind of duress- take Dane in the GC as a prime example. Once Reilly got better protection, he was producing much better...

Wily was a pretty decent QB, then our in-line became a sieve and Wily was abused and violated on a weekly basis... the Bombers broke Wily, he was never the same after that. I still remember that game vs Hamilton where he got rag-dolled and spun around and was clocked in the head... we totally ruined that QB.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

17 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Wily was a pretty decent QB, then our in-line became a sieve and Wily was abused and violated on a weekly basis... the Bombers broke Wily, he was never the same after that. I still remember that game vs Hamilton where he got rag-dolled and spun around and was clocked in the head... we totally ruined that QB.

It's really too bad... it would've been nice to see what Willy 5 years ago could do on this current team...

On 2019-12-09 at 6:08 PM, Floyd said:

So Ottawa, Winnipeg and Toronto need quarterbacks - that’s not a massive bidding war...  Especially if Collaros is already Toronto bound

That's three teams and you've got Collaras, Nichols, MBT, Masoli (potentially), and Arbuckle.  The wild card is Streveler.  And Winnipeg is really well positioned because they are by far the best situation to put a qb into.  After what Zach with minimal time to get up to speed is a testament to him and the group around him.  Any QB to hit the free agent market would love the opportunity to play in Winnipeg.  For a guy like Arbuckle you could go to a weaker organization and end up blowing your career. 

14 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

That's three teams and you've got Collaras, Nichols, MBT, Masoli (potentially), and Arbuckle.  The wild card is Streveler.  And Winnipeg is really well positioned because they are by far the best situation to put a qb into.  After what Zach with minimal time to get up to speed is a testament to him and the group around him.  Any QB to hit the free agent market would love the opportunity to play in Winnipeg.  For a guy like Arbuckle you could go to a weaker organization and end up blowing your career. 

The more you mention MBT, the more he sounds like a reasonable option with Streveler...  actually has more upside than Nichols or Collaros really

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

The coaches dumped MBT when we had him in the past.... not sure if they go back on that road.   MBT at this point is a stop-gap QB for a team dealing with an injury.  Mentally the guy is all over the place. 

Yeah he is a bit of an odd duck, but when he was dumped here was pretty much a guy with zip for CFL experience and has since learned the game.

5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The coaches dumped MBT when we had him in the past.... not sure if they go back on that road.   MBT at this point is a stop-gap QB for a team dealing with an injury.  Mentally the guy is all over the place. 

Yet we're ready to declare Streveler our QB of the future because he spent a week partying in a fur coat and cowboy hat haha...  which I'm fine with btw

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

The more you mention MBT, the more he sounds like a reasonable option with Streveler...  actually has more upside than Nichols or Collaros really

I can't for the life of me see why Toronto wouldn't be going all in on the guy.  He put up great numbers on a bad team and he can take a hit.  He's a pure pocket passer so i think he could do quite well in a tandem with Streveler and not break the bank so we can continue to have an elite team around the qb's. 

2 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I can't for the life of me see why Toronto wouldn't be going all in on the guy.  He put up great numbers on a bad team and he can take a hit.  He's a pure pocket passer so i think he could do quite well in a tandem with Streveler and not break the bank so we can continue to have an elite team around the qb's. 

Completely different kind of players...   The one thing about MBT which would be nice is that we wouldn't have to take a deep breath if someone gets a clean hit on him.

If I'm Ottawa I'd be looking at him as a possible stop gap for the next few seasons.  He's definitely an upgrade over Jennings and Davis.  

2 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Sure that's all fine and dandy... but where does his wife work?

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Sure that's all fine and dandy... but where does his wife work?

Pretty sure his wife won't be getting CTE working in one market or another. I'm not convinced we want Collaras back given all the options. I just think if Winnipeg wants him back and goes after him aggressively that he would do it. 

DELMONACO ADDS OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR TO TITLE: Calgary Stampeders head coach Dave Dickenson has announced that Pat DelMonaco has been promoted to offensive coordinator and offensive line coach. DelMonaco has been a CFL coach for a… https://www.stampeders.com/2019/12/11/delmonaco-adds-offensive-coordinator-title/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter  via @calstampeders

5 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

I'm on board the MBT train. He and Streveler would be a great 1-2.

6 hours ago, Booch said:

How this team is set up, and the depth and continuity with it even with Lapo departure I would say regardless of who comes in (along with Strev which is key) we won't miss a beat..especially when that O-line gets locked down with the last 2 key free agents

Maybe. It is going to come down to who is going to take the snaps and the OC. The reality is that Collaros is very high-risk and has voiced a desire to play in Toronto, and Nichols is almost as high-risk and may not even be ready for training camp. Plus, he hurt his throwing shoulder, and we all know what that did to Khari. Calgary will move heaven and earth to keep Arbuckle and I would bet that he is high on the RedBlack wish list.