2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

1 hour ago, johnzo said:

all these declarations about how Pierce will be a certain kind of coordinator who will have a certain kind of offence and how he'll be able to develop players in a certain way ... are laughable.

we haven't seen one play of a Pierce-run offence yet and people already know how it's gonna go with him there.

Right!? Lapo's offence isn't the only one pierce has ever played in or seen before. Yes, they worked together for a few years, but seriously,  it's not like they share a brain.

I am noticing certain people getting excited that Big Chris will have a new OC to work with if he is still with the team next season......some of those people I assumed were huge Nichols supporters ... so am I correct in assuming they are hoping for big things first from Matt next year  from the new OC .....?.... an then transition to Streveler once he has " developed " ?

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

I doubt that Masoli is coming here,   he himself says he wants to stay in Hamilton.
Plus it makes more sense to sign Nichols or Zach since they are familiar with our team and I'd assume come at a slightly lower price.

Agree on Masoli. I think Nichols will re-sign here, loves Winnipeg and the team, whether that is a good omen remains to be seen though. Can't see ZC re-signing with us as it sounds like TO wants him back, we'd have to overpay for him which isn't something I would be doing on a whim.

26 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Agree on Masoli. I think Nichols will re-sign here, loves Winnipeg and the team, whether that is a good omen remains to be seen though. Can't see ZC re-signing with us as it sounds like TO wants him back, we'd have to overpay for him which isn't something I would be doing on a whim.

Why would Hamilton sign Masoli? He is expensive while the Ti Cats still have Evans on his intro deal. I think there's a slim chance they sign Masoli. He'll go to the team that pays him the most. 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why would Hamilton sign Masoli? He is expensive while the Ti Cats still have Evans on his intro deal. I think there's a slim chance they sign Masoli. He'll go to the team that pays him the most. 

Because if they want to make a run for the cup they would rather have a guy like Masoli then signing a cast off like Jennings or bringing in a guy with zero experience.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Because if they want to make a run for the cup they would rather have a guy like Masoli then signing a cast off like Jennings or bringing in a guy with zero experience.

They have Evans who will only get better with more experience. I can't see both being there. Financially & from a playing situation it doesn't make a lot of sense to have both of them.  That would be a toxic locker room. I bet the moment Masoli signs that Evans would demand a trade. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

They have Evans who will only get better with more experience. I can't see both being there. Financially & from a playing situation it doesn't make a lot of sense to have both of them.  That would be a toxic locker room. I bet the moment Masoli signs that Evans would demand a trade. 

You don't think teams want a veteran back up as insurance?  

Hamilton can afford Masoli at starters money because Evans is on a cheap contract. I could see a 1 year deal with the carrot being a realistic chance of getting to the Grey Cup and winning it. That's a bigger deal in the long run than a few thousand dollars this year.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Not at $400,000 a season. 

On 1290 they discussed how teams probably would move on to investing $700 000 at the position rather then only one guy in the future... I think this will be true.   Evans is on a dirt cheap deal,  why not throw some extra cash at a veteran back up who knows your system? 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

On 1290 they discussed how teams probably would move on to investing $700 000 at the position rather then only one guy in the future... I think this will be true.   Evans is on a dirt cheap deal,  why not throw some extra cash at a veteran back up who knows your system? 

I think for the very short future this will hold true. We have a rare situation where there are more starting QBs, then starting jobs.

I dont think it will continue though, once the old guard of starters are gone teams will again over pay for a proven starter for fear of ending up with out one. 

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

I'm glad 1290 took the time to weigh in on it in between 2 hours of the impact Nick Shore has on the Jets lineup

1290 is basically jets/nhl network. I miss when they covered more local sports. I feel like the jets brain drain chokes the life out of none hockey sports in the province more and more every year. 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

1290 has spoke a lot about the Blue this season,  much more then before.  

I think for the QB situation last year is a perfect example of why it won't work blowing all your money on one guy.    I think the starting salaries will go back down to a more reasonable rate.  

I think we will just see teams spending even more at the QB position, rather then less at starter. I think all the other positions will take a hit to make up for it. 

On 2019-12-08 at 2:12 PM, J5V said:

I'm already resigned to Collaros leaving and if Lapo wanted to take Nichols with him I'd be somewhat okay with that too. I do not want to see Streveler go anywhere as I believe he is a future star here and I'd be intrigued to see what Buck could do with Streveler as starter and McGuire as the backup. Under that scenario I expect to see us enter an era of very exciting, prolific, and high scoring football. If we can keep Mike O'Shea, Richie Hall, and the bulk of this defense, we could be looking at the start of a dynasty. 

That's certainly optimistic given how we looked with Strev as our starter this season.

From TSN dated Nov 25, 2019:

TSN’s CFL Insiders Dave Naylor and Farhan Lalji reported over Grey Cup Weekend that while the team has Evans under contract for the next two seasons and Masoli is a pending free agent, the Ticats want both QBs back in the fold next season.

“Hamilton is set with Dane Evans. He has two years left on his contract at a reasonable number so that’s a very good situation for the Ticats going forward,” Naylor said. “They would like to have Jeremiah Masoli back. He started the season as their No. 1 quarterback, had an ACL injury at the end of July, and not 100 per cent certain when he’ll be ready to play, but the Ticats want him back in the fold. They believe this is a two-quarterback league.”