2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

I will laugh a little bit if Lapo poaches Streveler. I just don't think Lapo really knows how to develop a guy like that and think it would hinder his development. 

Really think that Pierce though can be the guy to help Streveler become the star he has the potential to be. Pierce understands being a dual threat type qb and having that warrior mentality. 

I am excited at the idea of Pierce running the show. Really think the biggest problem with Lapo was his in game stuff, and I think a guy like PIerce who has been in there as a player will have a better understandng of when to play it safe and when to go for it. 

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I don't get how PLAP hinders QB development or that Buck, who has been our QB coach since 2016, is going to turn anyone into a star.

PLAP called plays for Streveler to sit in the pocket and throw the ball under 10 yards or in the play offs call every single play to be a run play with Strev either taking it himself or handing it off.  The one time he called a passing play it did fool Hamilton because literally the previous 30 plays he was given was a run play.

Pierce (we hope) would call plays that would have Streveler moving the pocket and throwing on the run.  We hope Pierce wouldn't call 30 consecutive running plays. 

When Strev started those games in his first season it was a decent balance of run and passes which kept Montreal off balance.  LaPo fell in love with the bull rushing run plays and kept running with it over and over again.

This is why I don't think Strev is a good fit in Ottawa and neither will Masoli be.    Masoli became infinitely better in Hamilton once they changed the offense and used his strengths.  Masoli had great success running to the sideline buying time and having lb'ers dropping from coverage to chase him and then for him to loop balls over their heads to the receivers coming back.    

5 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I don't get how PLAP hinders QB development or that Buck, who has been our QB coach since 2016, is going to turn anyone into a star.

Quick name all the QBs that developed under Lapo's offense... Now let's look at what he did with 2 guys, Willy and NIchols. When Willy started here he was making throws all over the field, but by the time he was done everyone was screaming about how all he did was check the ball down.... So then Nichols replaces him and he's making throws all over the field yet now everyone is complaining that all he does is check the ball down... That's starting to look like a pattern to me. I also feel that Lapo really hindered Streveler by shoehorning him into this gimmick running threat without much threat of passing. Remember the first couple games Streveler played? Guy looked like a passer didn't he? But also a dangerous runner too. Lapo essentially neutered that passing game by giving him a dumbed down play book. 

I just don't see Pierce putting the reigns on a qb like that. He's a guy who didn't play scared and I believe that as a play caller he will do the same and allow his qbs to play the position without fear of making a mistake. Every qb knows that mistakes happen out there, just gotta shake it off and go make the next play. 

30 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

“There's also been some chatter about LaPolice perhaps "stealing" some local QBs. As much as LaPo has inspired the likes of Nichols, Streveler and Collaros, all three, especially Nichols and Streveler, have a ton of respect for Pierce and would likely stay for him, if team wants.” - Jeff Hamilton 

Send Collaros to OTT for their first (2nd? Overall) and glady send our first (9th) to TO. 

6 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

Send Collaros to OTT for their first (2nd? Overall) and glady send our first (9th) to TO. 

Collaros is a FA. No one would trade for him when they can just sign him. But apparently going to TO as a FA. Why he'd want to be part of that clown show is beyond me. I know his family is there but lots of players play away from home. His choice, I guess. 

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Quick name all the QBs that developed under Lapo's offense... Now let's look at what he did with 2 guys, Willy and NIchols. When Willy started here he was making throws all over the field, but by the time he was done everyone was screaming about how all he did was check the ball down.... So then Nichols replaces him and he's making throws all over the field yet now everyone is complaining that all he does is check the ball down... That's starting to look like a pattern to me. I also feel that Lapo really hindered Streveler by shoehorning him into this gimmick running threat without much threat of passing. Remember the first couple games Streveler played? Guy looked like a passer didn't he? But also a dangerous runner too. Lapo essentially neutered that passing game by giving him a dumbed down play book.

Drew Willy didn't play under LaPolice.

A more fair comparison would be him and Joey Elliott feuding... my memory of Elliott getting pissed because LaPo calling a conservative play when we needed big yards....

18 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I just don't see Pierce putting the reigns on a qb like that. He's a guy who didn't play scared and I believe that as a play caller he will do the same and allow his qbs to play the position without fear of making a mistake. Every qb knows that mistakes happen out there, just gotta shake it off and go make the next play. 

That's an interesting take but Willy was way over-rated as a QB and the early wins the team got with him at the helm were largely due to stellar ST and D.  So it wasn't that Lapo ruined Willy - he just wasn't that good to begin with. Pure pocket passer with a crappy O-line is a recipe for failure. With Nichols, I think Lapo designed the offence around Nichols capabilities, which are average and journeyman at best. That's why the focus for us turned to the running attack. When Collaros came in we finally had a QB with some escapability and so you saw a more balanced attack and good distribution to all receivers getting more balls thrown their way. Comes down to Lapo tweaking things to match the talent level at the key QB postiion.

9 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Collaros is a FA. No one would trade for him when they can just sign him. But apparently going to TO as a FA. Why he'd want to be part of that clown show is beyond me. I know his family is there but lots of players play away from home. His choice, I guess. 

I am quite aware that Collaros become a FA in February, doesn’t change that we hold his rights until then. Could allow Desjardins to talk to his agent ahead of time and if they reach an agreement we trade and they sign an extension. 

Desjardins has to know he’s the next one fired and needs to give Lapo something to work with. I also think he’s petty enough that he would enjoy “sticking it” to Pinball. 

Strev wont follow lap..you can take that to the bank 

And as mentioned.. Pierce is not a rookie..or inexperienced.. he is/was heavily involved in game plan creation as well as a lot of what we did on offence..like mentioned he just didnt coach QB's

It was Lapos base basic offence..which we seen when Peirce played in it..and coached within it..but there are things within it that are Peierce influenced.

Lapo over the years has really stagnated QB's and not allowed them to really reach full potential..played a safe conservative game that got him...one Cup over course of his career..Buck will most likely allow his guys to be more aggressive and attack things moreso than Lapo did..and therein is where any QB in our system moving forward will develop more

And should be mentioned..losing Lapo should be..and is probably one of the least impactful issues we need to adress/face this off season

We can still run the same offence if we want..its property of the Bombers..not Lapo..and we will most likely run a variation of it as our base..with new tweaks and influences..and change terminology but with basically all our offensive starters being back pretty much..there will be minimal issues

Just now, Jpan85 said:

Willy did for the first five weeks of 2016 season.

I was wrong,  looking at the stats though he had great passing yards in 4 of the 5 games.     Willy diminished because he was shell shocked and beaten up.

Nichols also had good stats with LaPo when he first started... but after getting hurt it's regressed drastically.

18 hours ago, Brandon said:

At least he isn't with Saskatchewan!   

As for Buck Pierce being a gun slinger... he had a lot of heart but it's not like the guy was throwing bombs when he was playing (healthy).   Danny McManus was a gun slinger....  Pierce was more of a LaPo type of guy of the short passes and moving around the pocket.   

I'd assume his familiarity with the offense that he wouldn't make many changes.   The million dollar question is can he game plan against defenses,  make changes on the fly and can he talk his qb into throwing passes more then 5 yards down the field.  

As for LaPo ....  I'm curious to see who they bring in as QB.   I hope he gets 2 seasons at least to help right the ship since it's such a mess.  

That's because Lapo was the coach here when Buck played but I always had the feeling that Pierce was more of a Streveler than a Nichols. LOL!

Yeah, really good points. Those are the unknown things that make me somewhat nervous about Buck as an OC.

Lapo is dead to me now. I hope his teams never win a single game against us. j/k

On 2019-12-07 at 4:07 PM, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

If anyone can still see a glimmer of hope in Dom Davis, it's Lapo. Otherwise buh bye

dunno how much future Davis has with the redblacks considering that Lapo kept him around for a couple seasons as the QB2 and heir apparent. Then when finally he got his shot when Nichols got hurt in late 2017, he lasted like two quarters and suddenly the Fever was starting (and winning) the We Beat Calgary On The Road With A High School Offence game.

you know, a typical stubborn O'Shea team move, sticking with their plan no matter how badly it goes.

Edited by johnzo

15 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

I am quite aware that Collaros become a FA in February, doesn’t change that we hold his rights until then. Could allow Desjardins to talk to his agent ahead of time and if they reach an agreement we trade and they sign an extension. 

Desjardins has to know he’s the next one fired and needs to give Lapo something to work with. I also think he’s petty enough that he would enjoy “sticking it” to Pinball. 

A trade won't happen. 

all these declarations about how Pierce will be a certain kind of coordinator who will have a certain kind of offence and how he'll be able to develop players in a certain way ... are laughable.

we haven't seen one play of a Pierce-run offence yet and people already know how it's gonna go with him there.

Edited by johnzo

6 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

“There's also been some chatter about LaPolice perhaps "stealing" some local QBs. As much as LaPo has inspired the likes of Nichols, Streveler and Collaros, all three, especially Nichols and Streveler, have a ton of respect for Pierce and would likely stay for him, if team wants.” - Jeff Hamilton 

I'm already resigned to Collaros leaving and if Lapo wanted to take Nichols with him I'd be somewhat okay with that too. I do not want to see Streveler go anywhere as I believe he is a future star here and I'd be intrigued to see what Buck could do with Streveler as starter and McGuire as the backup. Under that scenario I expect to see us enter an era of very exciting, prolific, and high scoring football. If we can keep Mike O'Shea, Richie Hall, and the bulk of this defense, we could be looking at the start of a dynasty. 

1 minute ago, J5V said:

I'm already resigned to Collaros leaving and if Lapo wanted to take Nichols with him I'd be somewhat okay with that too. I do not want to see Streveler go anywhere as I believe he is a future star here and I'd be intrigued to see what Buck could do with Streveler as starter and McGuire as the backup. Under that scenario I expect to see us enter an era of very exciting, prolific, and high scoring football. If we can keep Mike O'Shea, Richie Hall, and the bulk of this defense, we could be looking at the start of a dynasty. 

If they let Nichols go then they better sign a veteran like Masoli to take his place as Streveler isn't ready to be #1. He needs another veteran in front of him. He's at his best when he comes in with a package. 

41 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If they let Nichols go then they better sign a veteran like Masoli to take his place as Streveler isn't ready to be #1. He needs another veteran in front of him. He's at his best when he comes in with a package. 

100%! People go blind when talking about strev because he’s cool and parties and has the hearts of the fans. This tends to lead to them over looking that he isn’t starting material yet.

47 minutes ago, johnzo said:

all these declarations about how Pierce will be a certain kind of coordinator who will have a certain kind of offence and how he'll be able to develop players in a certain way ... are laughable.

we haven't seen one play of a Pierce-run offence yet and people already know how it's gonna go with him there.

so sorry for being optimistic...

Pierce can game plan against any defence . 

He has seen every defence you can run, on the field and in the booth. He knows what is going to be successful against it. 

Zero worry about that.

He has been around some phenomenal offensive minds in Wally Buono and Dave Dickenson, and LaPo.

I would not just assume he is just going to run LaPo style offence, he will be wanting to put his own mark on the team. 

Lazy logic to just think he will just roll out the same offence.