2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

At least he isn't with Saskatchewan!   

As for Buck Pierce being a gun slinger... he had a lot of heart but it's not like the guy was throwing bombs when he was playing (healthy).   Danny McManus was a gun slinger....  Pierce was more of a LaPo type of guy of the short passes and moving around the pocket.   

I'd assume his familiarity with the offense that he wouldn't make many changes.   The million dollar question is can he game plan against defenses,  make changes on the fly and can he talk his qb into throwing passes more then 5 yards down the field.  

As for LaPo ....  I'm curious to see who they bring in as QB.   I hope he gets 2 seasons at least to help right the ship since it's such a mess.  

29 minutes ago, Brandon said:

At least he isn't with Saskatchewan!   

As for Buck Pierce being a gun slinger... he had a lot of heart but it's not like the guy was throwing bombs when he was playing (healthy).   Danny McManus was a gun slinger....  Pierce was more of a LaPo type of guy of the short passes and moving around the pocket.   

Pierce is the definition of gun slinger - guy had a ton of 300 yard games and some 400+

Masoli would actually be a nice fit... if Buck's schemes reflects his QB play

I'm sticking with Arbuckle on my wish list though

5 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Last I checked we won more than 4 games this past season.

Yes, but I think you know what I meant.  We really didn't see the full extent of our offense until Collaros took control. He & Streveler were brilliant. Nichols play never seemed to reach the level we saw in the playoffs. The offense seemed to suit Zack's style of play to a tee.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Pierce is the definition of gun slinger - guy had a ton of 300 yard games and some 400+

No he didn't.     His best season with the Bombers he had 14 TD's and 18 ints.   He also only had 1 good season with BC.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_Pierce

I loved the guy as a player and he put his heart on the field,  but I think your memory of him dominating might be skewed.   Khari had a tonne of big games... Buck played with a tonne of heart and with a crap offense and laid it out on the field.  Big time heart... wouldn't classify him as  some QB rifling big bombs down the field.   

10 minutes ago, Brandon said:

No he didn't.     His best season with the Bombers he had 14 TD's and 18 ints.   He also only had 1 good season with BC.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_Pierce

I loved the guy as a player and he put his heart on the field,  but I think your memory of him dominating might be skewed.   Khari had a tonne of big games... Buck played with a tonne of heart and with a crap offense and laid it out on the field.  Big time heart... wouldn't classify him as  some QB rifling big bombs down the field.   

You are getting end of career buck mixed up with him in his prime 

for sure he had several 300+ yard games and one game with almost 40 completions - I’m not mixed up...  gunslinger for 80-90% of his career

4 hours ago, Floyd said:

for sure he had several 300+ yard games and one game with almost 40 completions - I’m not mixed up...  gunslinger for 80-90% of his career

Gonna agree with Brandon.  Buck didn’t have a full season as starter until he was in Winnipeg.  “In his prime” should refer to a season or three, not a series of 4 or 8 games...

Khari was a gun slinger when he first came over.  5 and 6 receiver sets, high scoring games, 46 Passing TDs in a season...

Edited by ALuCsRED

2 hours ago, ALuCsRED said:

Gonna agree with Brandon.  Buck didn’t have a full season as starter until he was in Winnipeg.  “In his prime” should refer to a season or three, not a series of 4 or 8 games...

Khari was a gun slinger when he first came over.  5 and 6 receiver sets, high scoring games, 46 Passing TDs in a season...

2008 and 09 were Buck’s prime - and he never really had a full season because of injuries

08 he had a several 300 yard games - I think he hit 3000+ yards playing half a season

BC Buck was a gunslinger - Winnipeg buck still had that in him but was getting shell shocked and in a barresi/Lapo system

I wish LaPo all the best. I think we will probably see what Buck can do here. 

I do think Sask is better with Mass

I do think Campbell is better than Claybrooks

Very curious to see how FA goes. 

My guess as to QBs Collarris goes to Ott. Arbuckle to T.O as well as one of Nichols or Masoli. Wpg re-sings Strev. And the other of Masoli or Nichols.

1 hour ago, NorthernSkunk said:

We get a new OC,  Nichols shoulder is not at 100%,  Big Chris starts some games early in the season,  throws for over 300 yards in consecutive game,  bandwagon fills up ! It's gonna be a fun season in 2020 !

Change can be beneficial. Buck has shown himself to be intelligent and dedicated to his craft, so the new offence will probably look a lot like the old offence to start with but with a few new wrinkles and then evolve to suit what he sees as the strengths of his players. It ought to work out fine but the joker in the deck is who will be behind center.

10 hours ago, Floyd said:

He had numerous seasons where he had under 1000 yards passing.    If we are going with small sample sizes then why not hire Dinwiddie as he had a 450 yard game once upon a time.

Pierce was beloved because despite having a crap offense and crap coaching,  the guy would get smashed over and over and would use every ounce of energy to get back up and then run head first into a defender just to fight and claw for a first down.    He never complained , never pouted, never made excuses and gave it his all.   

I will always remember when he came back as a BC Lion and the Bombers were losing big time and BC put Pierce in at QB. Our hometown crowd were cheering him getting first downs against our own team.   The camera panned to him on the side lines and you could see how touched he was with by the city.    I'll always remember that moment it was awesome.