2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

2 hours ago, BBlink said:

If the option is between losing Streveler or making him our #1 QB to start the year next year I'd do the latter.

The guy is a leader and will run through a brick wall for this team. Like others have said, don't write him off as a passer yet. And at worst we could trade for Collaros at the end of the season again lol

I certainly hope that the people within the WBB organization have a better idea.  That would be a huge risk to pin the season on Streveler as your #1.

35 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

What do you see as over the top excitement?

some of the comments above; he hasn't played in a game.

Lots of guys have looked good in camp, and can't play in a game.

I wonder if Lapo as a genius came from his time at TSN, media like to froth things up. I don't mind if he's back, just won the Grey Cup with him on the staff. got to count for something in his favour.

Edited by Mark F

10 minutes ago, Mark F said:

some of the comments above; he hasn't played in a game.

Lots of guys have looked good in camp, and can't play in a game.

I wonder if Lapo as a genius came from his time at TSN, media like to froth things up. I don't mind if he's back, just won the Grey Cup with him on the staff. got to count for something in his favour.

Point one out.

I can't find one.

20 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Point one out.

I can't find one.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about my comment where I said "if he can ever learn to read a defense, he could be one of the best QBs we've ever recruited"... 

I see how that could be interpreted as "over the top", but I stand by it. If the kid has brains and can figure out a CFL defense (and I believe that learning to process information and read a D is the thing that makes you a legitimate starting QB) then he'll be a good one... 

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm pretty sure he's talking about my comment where I said "if he can ever learn to read a defense, he could be one of the best QBs we've ever recruited"... 

I see how that could be interpreted as "over the top", but I stand by it. If the kid has brains and can figure out a CFL defense (and I believe that learning to process information and read a D is the thing that makes you a legitimate starting QB) then he'll be a good one... 

I love the Bombers...not a high bar 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

He's only been what he is told to do..and game planned for..he cant fo rogue and do his own thing or his ass would be firmly planted on bench..or PR

If put in an offence to augment what he can do with his legs and the conundrums he could cause defenses with his running  threat he'd be lights out..Lapo hasnt done that here

He is a passer if allowed to..and with more reps and plays doing so..would get better and better..He threw for over 6000 yards and I believe 50 some odd TD's...4100 of it in his senior season..a QB coming out of college with the label attached to them as a runner dont do that..they pass for 2000..2800 yards a year..Much like Fajardo  was labelled a runner..was only used as that but for a chance..ans grew into it..that's after 4 years of college as a QB and his 4th year in cfl..Strev has had 2 years of college experience and 2 years here and from what he has accomplished so far being so raw is pretty amazing..given another year or so of grooming by the time he hits 26 he's gonna be a top dawg..and u can quote me on that now..

His style of play though, Booch. It is so physical. He won't last a season let alone have a long career taking the shots he takes. It'll take him awhile to get to lights out you speak of & then the brights will fade to blue if he has injury issues. He has to decide the kind of qb he wants to be. To continue giving out & taking shots running the ball or learn to play the qb position behind the LOS where he finds open receivers downfield. Does he want to change? That will only happen if he internalizes & changes the way he thinks of himself as a player. He has to take the next step & work hard to achieve it. The other question,  is LaPo the coach to do it for him? Working on his throwing fundamentals? Dickenson & Maas would be. Not sure about LaPo.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Saw that James Franklin made $350k last year...  can't see Streveler signing for less than that

That was starter money....  I don't see him making that much cash as a back up.      Collaros will be probably signing for that kind of cash maybe a tad more.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

His style of play though, Booch. It is so physical. He won't last a season let alone have a long career taking the shots he takes. It'll take him awhile to get to lights out you speak of & then the brights will fade to blue if he has injury issues. He has to decide the kind of qb he wants to be. To continue giving out & taking shots running the ball or learn to play the qb position behind the LOS where he finds open receivers downfield. Does he want to change? That will only happen if he internalizes & changes the way he thinks of himself as a player. He has to take the next step & work hard to achieve it. The other question,  is LaPo the coach to do it for him? Working on his throwing fundamentals? Dickenson & Maas would be. Not sure about LaPo.

True..but thing is in a more conventional offense based around his running ability, not focusing on it as the main component he would do great..and take less hits.

I see him as being a Tracy Ham type..but a bit more aggressive runner if he takes off.

His running would be way more effective when it was sporadically called..or came from moving pocket..changing launch points and roll and sprint outs..if first or second read isnt immediately there he vamooses or extends the play for someone to come back to ball or break off down field 

Once that chemistry is created and he is in same head space with receivers when they see the scramble.. big plays are coming as the defense will have to respect the run and drop coverage..or stay in coverage and Strev will be in the second level in a heart beat

6 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

You guys have fallen in love with the cigar smoking, beer drinking, fur coat wearing and shirtless Chris Streveler.  He's become a fan favourite due to his persona not his abilities as a QB. 

I agree he's a bit over-hyped, but man, dude played a month on a broken foot and absolutely laid it all on the line for this organization. You can't tell me he wasn't an instrumental part of our O this year. Even when his game was off, defenses had to plan and play around him, he completely changed the dynamic when he subbed in for our starter - whether it was Nichols or Collaros.

If nothing else, he's the best QB sneaker in the league and that alone is worth something.

Just now, Brandon said:

That was starter money....  I don't see him making that much cash as a back up.      Collaros will be probably signing for that kind of cash maybe a tad more.

Yeah Franklin was signed to that as the heir apparent starter..first year main guy money..Strev I would think should be in the 200k range

25 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

I agree he's a bit over-hyped, but man, dude played a month on a broken foot and absolutely laid it all on the line for this organization. You can't tell me he wasn't an instrumental part of our O this year. Even when his game was off, defenses had to plan and play around him, he completely changed the dynamic when he subbed in for our starter - whether it was Nichols or Collaros.

If nothing else, he's the best QB sneaker in the league and that alone is worth something.

I think we should give him starting money based alone on his sneaking skills.

4 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

O'Shea in the background, "well that's real nice, back to work."

O'Shea definitely gets that it's the players who risk their physical health and go out there and play a violent sport at a high level to win that damned championship. Yes he played a role but at the end of the day, it's all about the players, and that is why they are worth every single penny they are paid to play this game. 

I remember Scotty Bowman putting on his skates and going out on the ice after one of his teams won the Stanley Cup. Hated it.

I remember Viktor Tikhonov stealing Nikolai Khabibulin's gold medal after the Soviet's won gold. Hated it.

Mr. O'Shea, my hat's off to you, sir. You do, indeed, get it.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

True..but thing is in a more conventional offense based around his running ability, not focusing on it as the main component he would do great..and take less hits.

I see him as being a Tracy Ham type..but a bit more aggressive runner if he takes off.

His running would be way more effective when it was sporadically called..or came from moving pocket..changing launch points and roll and sprint outs..if first or second read isnt immediately there he vamooses or extends the play for someone to come back to ball or break off down field 

Once that chemistry is created and he is in same head space with receivers when they see the scramble.. big plays are coming as the defense will have to respect the run and drop coverage..or stay in coverage and Strev will be in the second level in a heart beat

Your example of Tracy Ham is a good one & he was the qb I was thinking of when I posted. However, Ham could already throw the ball pretty well when he came to Edmonton. He became a very good passer as he relied less & less on his legs to get him out of trouble when the pocket broke down the longer he played.