2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

3 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Nichols worked to improve his mobility this past off-season, he was more mobile this year than last coming off his leg injury but he is essentially still a pocket passer.  Collaros has always been more of a scrambler, if he'd signed with the Stamps instead of the Ti-Cats years ago he may have won multiple G.C.'s and better preserved his brain matter.

Brain Matter-Scientifically illustrated.

hqdefault.jpghqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Every time I learn something new, a little of the old gets pushed out of my brain. Remember that time I took that wine making course and forgot how to drive?

The Closest comparison in the NFL you will find with Streveler is Josh Allen of Buffalo but Josh has a bigger arm, cleaned up his mechanics issue from his rookie season and has progressed in the last year as a pocket passer. Where we have not seen the same progress from Streveler. I think this will be the make or break off season for Big Chris, he needs to work on his throwing mechanics, study CFL defensive zone coverages and presnap/read option reads. I find he holds the ball to often in read option and there are times when letting it go would have been the better option than running into the teeth of the D with no hole.

2 hours ago, Engelwood said:

The Closest comparison in the NFL you will find with Streveler is Josh Allen of Buffalo but Josh has a bigger arm, cleaned up his mechanics issue from his rookie season and has progressed in the last year as a pocket passer. Where we have not seen the same progress from Streveler. I think this will be the make or break off season for Big Chris, he needs to work on his throwing mechanics, study CFL defensive zone coverages and presnap/read option reads. I find he holds the ball to often in read option and there are times when letting it go would have been the better option than running into the teeth of the D with no hole.

Taysom Hill is the NFL Streveler

Edited by Geebrr

16 hours ago, Nickthesizz said:

If this isn't a direct personal attack I don't know what is.

Coming from someone who thinks you know nothing about football, I don't think you could possibly name one reason Nichols is better than Collaros. Should change your name to internet MD.

I didn't start this fire internet tuff guy. If you know more about football than I do you sure don't demonstrate it with your content very well because not much of what you state is anything more than misinformation. Whether that is intentional or not, I won't speculate but dude I can honestly tell you that you have everyone's bullshit meter redlining right now. Now go run along and hide behind your keyboard.

Don't try to condescend to people who know more than you, it makes you look stupid not us.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

Interesting. Justin Dunk is usually pretty connected in terms of information. But, this article is also really vague - "drawn the attention of NFL scouts". Who? Does he have workouts lined up?

I love our shirtless hero Streveler, as we all do. But, I'm still skeptical that he'll get much NFL interest. He just doesn't have the numbers as a QB to warrant an NFL look. Taysom Hill is basically not really playing QB in the NFL. Teddy Bridgewater is the back up there. And If Brees ever retires, pretty sure the Saints look elsewhere for a back up QB. I just don't think teams are going to try to replicate what the Saints have with Hill, and there are just too many new QB's to look at each year. I'm repeating myself but let's remember BLM got limited NFL interest as a potential back up QB. 

Edited by M.Silverback

3 hours ago, Engelwood said:

You could make a case for Hill in NO as well. Big guy, good runner, decent passer.

I dont think this is a make or break year for Streveler. Maybe next year, but I'd be willing to give him 5 years total to develop. Anything under that I think would be insufficient. 

12 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

True, but his versatility is something BLM doesn't bring to the table.

Teams wouldn't be looking for him to be a starting QB.

They would be looking at him to play ST, catch some passes, and sometimes pass.

He can do/is willing to do all those things.

Edited by Geebrr

I could see some NFL teams looking at Streveler to try to replicate what the Ravens have done. Lamar Jackson is not just an athletic running QB like Vick was, he's a power runner, who can cut and punish defenders. Streveler doesn't the athletic ability or arm of Jackson, though. 

And Jackson has done well in a pretty small sample size. How's he going to be in a couple of years when the pounding he takes adds up? Same with Streveler, he needs to evolve. 

2 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

True, but his versatility is something BLM doesn't bring to the table.

Teams wouldn't be looking him to be a starting QB.

They would be looking at him to play ST, catch some passes, and sometimes pass.

He can do/is willing to do all those things.

He's an amazing athlete. And if he was willing to basically become a RB or slot receiver, then maybe he gets a look. But still, there are so many practice roster RB's and WR's, plus a bunch more coming every draft. I just can't see Streveler getting a look at an alternate position ahead of players who actually play those positions. NFL teams still view CFL talent lower on the pecking order than one of their own college draft picks for the most part.

And, he's no where near ready to be an NFL QB, even third string. He's not quite ready for be a CFL starter at QB. Pretty sure he re-signs with Winnipeg. If he ever put up decent QB numbers in the CFL, he may get a look down the road with the NFL. 

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

I could see some NFL teams looking at Streveler to try to replicate what the Ravens have done. Lamar Jackson is not just an athletic running QB like Vick was, he's a power runner, who can cut and punish defenders. Streveler doesn't the athletic ability or arm of Jackson, though. 

And Jackson has done well in a pretty small sample size. How's he going to be in a couple of years when the pounding he takes adds up? Same with Streveler, he needs to evolve. 

You're right that teams will try to replicate what the Ravens have done. But, Lamar Jackson is really, really good, and always was. It was ridiculous and insulting that some NFL teams wanted him to change positions out Louisville. Lots of other reasons for that. But, smart football people knew he was a true talent. 

If Streveler could become a CFL version of Jackson-lite we'd all be thrilled. 

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

I didn't start this fire internet tuff guy. If you know more about football than I do you sure don't demonstrate it with your content very well because not much of what you state is anything more than misinformation. Whether that is intentional or not, I won't speculate but dude I can honestly tell you that you have everyone's bullshit meter redlining right now. Now go run along and hide behind your keyboard.

Don't try to condescend to people who know more than you, it makes you look stupid not us.

I'd say it's more along the lines of just don't be an ass in general.

9 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

He's an amazing athlete. And if he was willing to basically become a RB or slot receiver, then maybe he gets a look. But still, there are so many practice roster RB's and WR's, plus a bunch more coming every draft. I just can't see Streveler getting a look at an alternate position ahead of players who actually play those positions. NFL teams still view CFL talent lower on the pecking order than one of their own college draft picks for the most part.

And, he's no where near ready to be an NFL QB, even third string. He's not quite ready for be a CFL starter at QB. Pretty sure he re-signs with Winnipeg. If he ever put up decent QB numbers in the CFL, he may get a look down the road with the NFL. 

It's the overall package. Teams in the NFL are looking to innovate and do something you either don't see or don't see often. They're not looking for a QB or FB or RB, they're looking for a football player who can provide flexibility and offer a threat that teams have to think twice about to defend. There aren't many players in the NFL who can line up as a runner, passer or receiver and hurt you. Streveler can.

16 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

He does so much that you could fill a few backup spots just having him on the roster to play ST.

He was a receiver in college so he could pick up TE.

You could coach him up to play a RB position. 

His value comes from his versatility to an NFL team with a limited roster size. 

The RBs and stuff you mention generally won't have his versatility.

I'm pretty sure he declined an NFL opportunity before coming here, so I'm sure interest is legit.

Edited by Geebrr

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

It's the overall package. Teams in the NFL are looking to innovate and do something you either don't see or don't see often. They're not looking for a QB or FB or RB, they're looking for a football player who can provide flexibility and offer a threat that teams have to think twice about to defend. There aren't many players in the NFL who can line up as a runner, passer or receiver and hurt you. Streveler can.

Plus a guy who said in the paper the other day he will do whatever he is asked, including being a wedge buster.

Belichick uses guys like this all the time 

4 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

He does so much that you could fill a few backup spots just having him on the roster to play ST.

He was a receiver in college so he could pick up TE.

You could coach him up to play a RB position. 

His value comes from his versatility to an NFL team with a limited roster size. 

The RBs and stuff you mention generally won't have his versatility.

I'm pretty sure he declined an NFL opportunity before coming here, so I'm sure interest is legit.

He was offered mini-camp invites but was not drafted. He turned them down to join the greatest team in football. 

50 minutes ago, Mike said:

You might be right. And if he gets an NFL shot, great for him. I'm always rooting for any CFL player to make an NFL roster when they get a shot. It's a dangerous, short career in football, if you can maximize your earnings, do it. I'm just not sure Steveler gets an NFL look this off season. If he puts up okay CFL numbers, then I think he'd get a future look. But as of now, he'd have to be a complete position-less player, and I think there are way too many RB's, WR's, TE's ahead of him in the cue. No way he's being considered as an NFL QB. Tim Tebow was every bit as good of an athlete as Strevler, and a better QB, and he couldn't stick. But, maybe times have changed ...