2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Masoli is not better and Arbuckle is wildly unproven. We don't know what he is. There is absolutely a chance that Nichols doesn't recover from this injury....but I want him to at least be in camp. I do NOT want to go into 2020 without a proven veteran QB. 

Masoli is also coming off a serious injury (if people are going to use that as a negative for Nichols, they should for him as well) and could quite possibly just be a product of a good system.  He was nothing special until the June Jones system got installed in Hamilton, so the question is would he be just as good outside of it?

I'm more sold on Arbuckle than I am on Masoli but the name James Franklin keeps coming to mind when I think about him. It's a big risk to take but then again, the upside could be very big too if he pans out.

9 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

I'm more sold on Arbuckle than I am on Masoli but the name James Franklin keeps coming to mind when I think about him. It's a big risk to take but then again, the upside could be very big too if he pans out.

I know this is all just speculation... but Bob Irving stated explicitly that the bombers have no interest in James franklin...

Edited by bearpants

Cfl.ca staff:

VANCOUVER — The BC Lions didn’t wait long to fulfill their head coaching search. On Monday, the team named Rick Campbell as the 27th head coach in franchise history.

Last line of the article quotes Campbell saying:

“I think the sky is the limit around here. There’s nowhere to go but up.”

I know it`s probably not what RC meant but nice kick to DC`s nads. 

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

extremely small sample size. I've been down the dark road of CFL Life Without A QB for too long. Matt Nichols came in and did nothing but win, win, win and win. I'm not going back into the darkness again...

If this team experiences a dark era again, it will almost certainly be because the defence and special teams take a step back. It will have very little to do with whether Nichols returns or not. 

7 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Masoli is also coming off a serious injury (if people are going to use that as a negative for Nichols, they should for him as well) and could quite possibly just be a product of a good system.  He was nothing special until the June Jones system got installed in Hamilton, so the question is would he be just as good outside of it?

A lot depends on who our OC will be...

Masoli and Strev would be a good pair with similar strengths

i think Arbuckle does have what it takes to at least be a game manager maybe with Nichols as a 1B...

I don’t see Streveler content in another season as a gadget QB - he’ll want an actual playbook

15 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

This year James Franklin looked more lost than his almost namesake John who disappeared in the Arctic 175 years ago...

2 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

This year James Franklin looked more lost than his almost namesake John who disappeared in the Arctic 175 years ago...

Chapdelaine wasn’t helping anything there...  still think Lapo is the guy Franklin needs 

21 minutes ago, Mike said:

I still think with a different OC, Streveler could be a top tier QB in this league. 

The book definitely isn't closed on his career. I don't think he's a great passer right now but I'm pretty sure we said the same about Masoli and Adams. This would be the optimal result in my books.

10 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I think Strev's passing is under rated,   I wish they would have more plays designed where he rolls out and throws some bombs....

He sure looked good throwing that dart to Harris between two defenders in the Cup.....Streve showed he has the touch

Edited by Stickem

35 minutes ago, Booch said:

Thats what I have been saying...he needs to play in Khari's system..wide open..high risk..high reward and live to fight another day...his development would speed up so much faster

It seems like some guys need to be moved around to get the mechanics on their throws correct, and into the flow. Masoli comes to mind.

More roll outs, more options, more play action.

Some guys thrive in chaos

Look at banjo bowl highlights.. made several different ranges of throws..same with grey cup..he needs to be let loose a bit like people have said.. roll outs..sprint outs..etc..hes not a pocket passer at this time so why force it

Look at early Dunnigan stuff..they had him changing launch points all the time..teams weren't sure to defend run..or pass.. that's wht makes him effective.

Having him run obvious run plays or keeping him stationary is stagnating his progress..let the boy loose and have at er

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

Look at banjo bowl highlights.. made several different ranges of throws..same with grey cup..he needs to be let loose a bit like people have said.. roll outs..sprint outs..etc..hes not a pocket passer at this time so why force it

Look at early Dunnigan stuff..they had him changing launch points all the time..teams weren't sure to defend run..or pass.. that's wht makes him effective.

Having him run obvious run plays or keeping him stationary is stagnating his progress..let the boy loose and have at er

Think that Read-option started putting too much pressure on Streveler...  Need an expanded but simple playbook for the first half of this season 

I honestly think Maas would be a great OC for him...

6 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Think that Read-option started putting too much pressure on Streveler...  Need an expanded but simple playbook for the first half of this season 

I honestly think Maas would be a great OC for him...

Ha..yeah he prob would be..and that read option became too one dimensional and predictable.. needed to be more organic..and if u gonna beat it to death utilize more than just Harris and Strev

A more varied offence with some of that..not focusing on it with roll outs..moving of pocket and launch point would be just as effective if not more..spreading the defense out and if the pass isnt there the run threat is..or suck them in and the pass is there. 

6 hours ago, Nickthesizz said:

I've put it out there, name to me one tangible facet of the game of football he's better than Zach Collaros.

Turnovers. He takes better care of the ball. Matt Nichols only has 8 more INTs thrown during his career, but he's played 22 more games than Zach. Yes, he's boring, yes, he doesn't push the ball deep as often, but Nichols also takes care of it. Passive? Absolutely! However, you can't argue that as a quarterback having more turnovers is a good thing.

7 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Turnovers. He takes better care of the ball. Matt Nichols only has 8 more INTs thrown during his career, but he's played 22 more games than Zach. Yes, he's boring, yes, he doesn't push the ball deep as often, but Nichols also takes care of it. Passive? Absolutely! However, you can't argue that as a quarterback having more turnovers is a good thing.

Nichols has .0252 of his throws as ints

Collaros has .0247 of his throws as ints.