2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

Honestly, who our OC is next year will dictate what our offense will look like more than anything. I believe that with Lapo as OC, our offense will look exactly the same next year whether it's Nichols or Collaros. 

Edited by Noeller

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Everyone has even lost the entire point here. It's not really whether or not Collaros is better than Nichols, he may very well be, but at this point in their careers (pending how Nichols comes back from injuries) they're not so far apart. 

The entire point here is that it is complete and utter horseshit that people are so willing to downplay everything that Matt Nichols has done for this team. 

Some would argue that other people are all too eager to overstate what Nichols has done for this team. The truth of his impact is probably somewhere in the middle.

4 hours ago, Goalie said:

The O put up similar numbers to what the O was doing when Nichols was starter. This idea our O was consistent or good is just such a myth. We won with a below average O. 

The O with Nichols put up similar numbers against the crappiest teams.

The O with Collaros put up similar numbers against the best teams.     

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Everyone has even lost the entire point here. It's not really whether or not Collaros is better than Nichols, he may very well be, but at this point in their careers (pending how Nichols comes back from injuries) they're not so far apart. 

The entire point here is that it is complete and utter horseshit that people are so willing to downplay everything that Matt Nichols has done for this team. 

How many play off wins and cups has he won for us :)   Collaros has done more in a month and a half then Nichols has done in years.  

Yes Nichols definitely came to our club and gave it life when he first started.  No question about that.    After his first main injury with us he has been on a steady decline to a point where unless he can dump it off to Harris and Harris racks up massive yards... he can't win us games at all.   Now after a 2nd major injury the odds of him some how reversing to the player he was when he first joined us is massively low.    

At a back up salary he's worth the value... at starter salary it's terrible value for the dollars.   MBT at this point would be better value at half the price.  

I like Nichols, when he was backing up Willy I was calling for him to get a shot and when he did he helped turn us into a good team and for that I'll be forever greatful. Also loved watching him at the parade, you could tell how much it meant to him. Even made me tear up a bit. But maybe that's okay if that's where it ends..You can't allow emotions to cloud your assessment of his play and just pay him for being a super sweet guy. 

His play has been good and he's helped us win games for sure, but whether it's fair or not QB success is determined in big games and playoffs and that's where he's lacking. See our record vs Calgary last few years or only 1 playoff win vs Brandon Bridge....

These are really tough decision but you have to be able to make them if you wanna stay ahead of the curb and win championships. I'd really love to find away to keep him around as a backup, but i just don't think it's smart to dump starting QB money on him given his age, health, and record.  

6 hours ago, Blue and Gold87 said:

See our record vs Calgary last few years or only 1 playoff win vs Brandon Bridge.

This is the stupidest ******* argument in have ever seen. Give nichols the D we saw in this playoffs backing him up he would have won a lot more playoff games. Also calgary this year is not the same as Calgary last year so don't even try and make that comparison.

I don't get this argument as people flip flop and waver...some say "look how many play-off wins he has"...not looking at the craptcular defensive performance in the losses and it's all on him...other side say he won one..and only cause the defense....some say he was reason we won.

Last 4 years has the best winning percentage save for BLM...But it's all because the defense many will say....yet even though he has been top of league those years in offensive points produced (excluding ST and Defensive scores) as well as being T.O.P winner in games more times than not

...how does the defense factor in with that? Many forget for a good portion of those wins, he had to put up 30+ points to get those wins as the "defense" was giving up 30+ a game...a lot! And many a game was lost when we scored 30+ points..I guess that because Nichols sucks and we can't win with him but in spite of him?? Many be,oan that we stalled and had to settle for a FG...well those 3 points each time count, and are a reullt of the QB getting the team in a position to score them...and the wins that resulted came because the opponent's QB failed to do so...Again I guess it's all on the defense for those wins eh?

You can twist and contort stats..wins..losses...whatever you wish all you want but fact of tha matter since 2016 ol Matt Nichols..Game Manager has managed to get us the most wins of any team next to CGY and last time I checked it was a team game and a team is only as good as it's collective parts...

Reilly and BLM are obviously top tier but their grip there isn't iron clad...Next tier has to be fancy Stats Harris, Nichols, Masoli and Collaros..similar results will be achieved in different ways...pick your poison I guess in how you want to achieve them, tho not sold 100 percent on Collaros "health" yet and think we dodged a bullet and kept him clean...hopefully I am wrong, but concussion problems don't go away after time..once your in that dance, you never leave it and why I would steer away from him. 

Evan's isn't in the next tier yet..as was super evident in the Grey Cup but has upside, tho needs an attitude makeover to get there..wouldn't want that pouter as my field general..when going got tough..he checked out

Arbuckle and Strev are at the cusp and both guys who teams should be priority signing and grooming, as they will be a teams future...they just need to marinade a bit more before being the defacto starter, and I think Adams is there now, and ready to be lumped in the top...he's paid his dues...been around and is finally in a good spot...for him

The rest are just a middling group of you get what you see...you'll get a game here or there to make you go "wow" but for most part are what they are and that's it...back-up's and emergency starter but not a guy to hitch your wagon to

1 hour ago, Booch said:

I don't get this argument as people flip flop and waver...some say "look how many play-off wins he has"...not looking at the craptcular defensive performance in the losses and it's all on him...other side say he won one..and only cause the defense....some say he was reason we won.

Last 4 years has the best winning percentage save for BLM...But it's all because the defense many will say....yet even though he has been top of league those years in offensive points produced (excluding ST and Defensive scores) as well as being T.O.P winner in games more times than not

...how does the defense factor in with that? Many forget for a good portion of those wins, he had to put up 30+ points to get those wins as the "defense" was giving up 30+ a game...a lot! And many a game was lost when we scored 30+ points..I guess that because Nichols sucks and we can't win with him but in spite of him?? Many be,oan that we stalled and had to settle for a FG...well those 3 points each time count, and are a reullt of the QB getting the team in a position to score them...and the wins that resulted came because the opponent's QB failed to do so...Again I guess it's all on the defense for those wins eh?

You can twist and contort stats..wins..losses...whatever you wish all you want but fact of tha matter since 2016 ol Matt Nichols..Game Manager has managed to get us the most wins of any team next to CGY and last time I checked it was a team game and a team is only as good as it's collective parts...

Reilly and BLM are obviously top tier but their grip there isn't iron clad...Next tier has to be fancy Stats Harris, Nichols, Masoli and Collaros..similar results will be achieved in different ways...pick your poison I guess in how you want to achieve them, tho not sold 100 percent on Collaros "health" yet and think we dodged a bullet and kept him clean...hopefully I am wrong, but concussion problems don't go away after time..once your in that dance, you never leave it and why I would steer away from him. 

Evan's isn't in the next tier yet..as was super evident in the Grey Cup but has upside, tho needs an attitude makeover to get there..wouldn't want that pouter as my field general..when going got tough..he checked out

Arbuckle and Strev are at the cusp and both guys who teams should be priority signing and grooming, as they will be a teams future...they just need to marinade a bit more before being the defacto starter, and I think Adams is there now, and ready to be lumped in the top...he's paid his dues...been around and is finally in a good spot...for him

The rest are just a middling group of you get what you see...you'll get a game here or there to make you go "wow" but for most part are what they are and that's it...back-up's and emergency starter but not a guy to hitch your wagon to

/thread.

Let's move on to another topic...

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Some facts on 30+ games...

2016- Bombers gave up 6 30 plus games in 19 including playoffs, double-digit (10+) points of turnovers by the opposition in 3 of them.

2017- Bombers gave up 9 30 plus games in 19 including playoffs, double-digit points off turnovers by the opposition in 4 of them.

2018- Bombers gave up 7 30 plus games in 20 including playoffs, double-digit points off turnovers by the opposition in 4 of them.

2019- Bombers gave up 2 30 plus games in 21 including playoffs, week 15 and 16, double-digit points off turnovers by Hamilton in week 16 with Streveler at QB.

That's some amazing D led by Richie Hall through those seasons and perhaps not a surprise that the team by far the best at keeping opponents out of the endzone finally wins it all.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

14 hours ago, J5V said:

You say this with such conviction. How do you know ?

I don't say it with any more conviction than those who say we would have won it anyway with Nichols at QB.

Collaros > Nichols. He hit the deep balls down the sidelines that Nichols doesn't hit very often. In each playoff game, those completions got us out of trouble and flipped the field. Collaros extended plays with his feet, while continuing to look down field. He threw medium to deep after moving the pocket. Instead of throwing the ball away, he gave our receivers a chance to catch the ball. He did all that against the best teams in the league.

Lets play 'what if' for a single play. Nichols wouldn't have made that great TD pass in the last game of the season. He doesn't have the escapability, nor the deep ball accuracy. That play won us the game, lifted the team, and knocked Calgary into 2nd instead of 1st. Assuming we beat Regina, we play a rested Calgary team on a +15 day instead of -11 day which works in Calgary's favour.

The whole team was more pumped with Collaros/Streveler as the QB's .....you could tell they weren't going to give up with Big Chris running over people all over the place....., and you could tell the receivers were running harder knowing that Collaros could extend plays longer than Nichols,  thus giving them all more opportunities for a reception.  

Lions to make a major football operations announcement today...wonder what that is...Perhaps they have decided on a coach already...be smart to have a guiy locked in now to have a hand in possible free agent extensions prior to free agency in whom they may wanna keep...discard

TSN reporting Campbell to be named Lions head coach.

I think he gets eaten alive in the western conference. He had an abysmal record, but the GC win buys you 9 lives in the CFL.

That said, I think he's a better hire than Maas. Maas as an OC with Rielly could tear up the league. Something in the works there?

Edited by Dr Zaius

Without Nichols O’shea Would have been fired in 2016 and we would have no grey cup. Our defense is great this year and was pretty good last year but in 2016-2017 it was not good at all and it really was Nichols and Harris holding the glue together. Say what you want about the man but without Nichols there is no Grey cup period. 

32 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

The whole team was more pumped with Collaros/Streveler as the QB's .....you could tell they weren't going to give up with Big Chris running over people all over the place....., and you could tell the receivers were running harder knowing that Collaros could extend plays longer than Nichols,  thus giving them all more opportunities for a reception.  

Image result for jerry laugh gif

3 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Without Nichols O’shea Would have been fired in 2016 and we would have no grey cup. Our defense is great this year and was pretty good last year but in 2016-2017 it was not good at all and it really was Nichols and Harris holding the glue together. Say what you want about the man but without Nichols there is no Grey cup period. 

You can't really argue with that...100 percent agree

2 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

During the whole playoff run and most of the last regular season games you could see it in the players body language...   they knew they had not 1.... but now 2 leaders at QB and they all stood up and did what it took.....  

Image result for stop you're embarrassing yourself meme

These shitposts are the kinds of nonsense you posted on TEP that resulted in you getting banned* from there.

* running away with your tail between your legs

4 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Image result for stop you're embarrassing yourself meme

These shitposts are the kinds of nonsense you posted on TEP that resulted in you getting banned* from there.

* running away with your tail between your legs

There were times when Matty never completed a play in the past,  and it was clearly visible the intended target(s) were frustrated in Matty as that is right where they were looking while they scowled....  others here posted about it when it happened.

edited to say....its funny cause I got booted for saying what turned out to be fact.

Edited by NorthernSkunk