2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

8 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Do you even read what I say about Lapo? And **** sakes at least twice tonight I've shown you how Collaros and Nichols put up similar numbers... but yeah, it was ALLLL the awesomeness of Collaros and not this team doing what this team does best. Simple fact is that the problems this team had with Streveler as the starter we twofold. One Lapo used him too much as a running gimmick and two that he turned the ball over more. Collaros being a veteran brought it back more in line with what was happening when Nichols was there because they're both veterans. 

All you have done is **** all over Nichols and shown nothing that makes Collaros better... unless it's that one throw against Calgary to end the regular season, which was a hell of a play, but still just one play. 

Ive supported Nichols all season and still do but even the most reverent Nichols supporter has to admit that collaros was much better at executing the offence. And to me the most glaring improvement over Nichols is how Collaros was significantly better at converting on 2nd down and extending drives.   Plus eluding the rush.  

Just now, TBURGESS said:

We were lucky that Nichols got hurt. He wouldn't have got us past Calgary, let alone have won the cup.

There’s no telling that to be true. His numbers and 7-2 record could suggest otherwise. 
I think this team was going to win it all this year regardless. A cumulation of the Canadian Mafia’s vision and hard work all coming together. However Nichols got hurt and didn’t get his just desserts, prompting Walters to swing a trade for a like-for-like replacement. 

I fully believe this was our year regardless. 

18 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

Ive supported Nichols all season and still do but even the most reverent Nichols supporter has to admit that collaros was much better at executing the offence. And to me the most glaring improvement over Nichols is how Collaros was significantly better at converting on 2nd down and extending drives.   Plus eluding the rush.  

Didn't we have a pretty good 2nd down conversion rate with Nichols most times? The thing collaros does better is elude pressure, I've said that the whole time. But people are really forgetting all the things Nichols did for this team.  They are missing the big picture because all their squirrel attention spans can see are the last few games.

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Didn't we have a pretty good 2nd down conversion rate with Nichols most times? The thing collaros does better is elude pressure, I've said that the whole time. But people are really forgetting all the things Nichols did for this team.  They are missing the big picture because all their squirrel attention spans can see are the last few games.

We've had one of the highest scoring offences for years.

Also, all Trevor Harris' yards matter for **** when you can't put the ball in the endzone 

Edited by Geebrr

8 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Also, all Trevor Harris' yards matter for **** when you can't put the ball in the endzone 

Our 2nd and short conversion rate is definitely high. I was referring to 2nd and mid to long range. 

47 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

This Nichols conversation is beyond boring.

Some people want to ignore/downplay anything positive he has brought to the franchise, and focus on his flaws.

He has been given credit for being a part of the team as it got better. His flaws will keep him from ever playing in a final and winning a cup.

Edited by NorthernSkunk

2 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

He won because he was a member of the team..... 

Edited it to say what I meant to say..

He won because he was part of the team. Just cuz a guy is hurt doesn't mean he didn't win also. 7 and 2 as a starter. U can **** on him all you want but hes a grey cup champ. He was an important part of the winning season

Edited by Goalie

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

We won cuz of our D tho. 

Have to agree with that comment - the "D" won it for us IMHO. However the offense did what it had to do to keep drives going etc. Total Team Effort IMHO.

As for next year's starting QB - really hard to say however I would think MN would be considered the front runner going into training camp.

49 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Just like the two seasons before, Nichols regressed hard as the season went on. For all you say about people ignoring the good things Nichols does in favour of the little things, I just can’t agree. It’s been explained many times in reasonable terms why Nichols’ record as a starter is inflated and it’s insanely frustrating when those with measured criticism of him get responses like “But he was 7-2!!!” and “71% completion percentage!!” 

I am a huge fan of Streveler but can recognize his limitations right now as a starting QB. It feels like fans of Nichols see any criticism of him as a need to dig in their heels and make him out to be more than he is. And this is all before a major injury to his throwing shoulder. A similar injury which sunk Lulay’s career and Lulay at his best was 10x the QB that Nichols could ever hope to be. 

I realize that not all criticism is fair and balanced but there are plenty of good reasons to believe that Nichols was fairly poor in most games he played this season and even more reasons to believe he’s not the guy we should want starting for this team going forward. I say this with the full knowledge that he will be re-signed and handed the starting job next season and sure, O’Shea has earned the right to do things his way. It’s just not the route that I would take for a number of reasons. 

Edited by AKAChip

42 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Nobody who knows anything is clamouring for a guy like Trevor Harris either. He’s basically a more hyped Nichols. 

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

No, Nichols is a winner.... 

Forgive me if I’m in the camp that a QB of Nichols’ caliber is elevated by the quality of his team and being a “winner” really isn’t a singular player’s attribute. But that’s seemingly a fundamental difference between us. Let’s not forget when Nichols wins in the regular season, he gets credit for his record even in games where he played objectively poorly. But his 1-3 playoff record with the Bombers is scoffed at with responses like “But he was incredible in that loss to Edmonton in the playoffs!” Seems like a double standard to me. 

Edited by AKAChip