2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

When I was on there many years ago , Rider Fans actually wasn't a bad place. They accepted fans from other teams & it was pretty respectful. Then the site changed & anyone who wasn't a Rider fan became targets to be mocked & ridiculed. It just got worse & worse. Finally I just said, **** it & left, Never went vack. 

Don't know enough about the forum, but that pretty much describes Rider fans in general. USed to be fine, but the last dozen years or so they've become inundated with dicks.

4 hours ago, bb1 said:

Hmmm what if we win the cup next year in their barn? Now wouldn't that be funny??..Riderfans are you getting nervous?🤣🤣

Grey Cup game is in the West. So if the trend is to continue we need to get in to the Grey Cup again and win it. 

Back to back, on their barn, will definitely a sweeter thing to brag against those melonheads.

#ForTheWW

9 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Get the **** over yourself and stop downplaying Matt Nichols. If Nichols had played the whole season like CoFaj did Nichols would have blown him away in counting numbers. 

You mean when Nichols played against all the easy teams and padded his stats?   He played Ottawa, BC and Toronto each twice. 

How did his last 4 games go ...  under 200 yards passing  only 3 TD to 4 ints.... fell down at the slightest hint of pressure... and this was against easy teams.  

Collaros comes in late in the season with out any familiarity with the offense or the players and completely out shines him playing against elite teams.    I dont' want LaPo anymore as an OC  but that makes it clear as day that the issue is at QB.  

Just because you and Noeller bark at the thought of anyone crapping on Nichols doesn't mean you are right.  

Nichols in his last 3 games was trending at 175 yards passing per game with two of the games against BC and Toronto.   This was with Harris and mostly healthy line up.    The guy at this point should be a veteran insurance back up like Glenn was in his last years. 

I'm sitting on the fence when it comes to Matt Nichols, but when it comes to Blue Bomber Quarterbacks this year, passing yards are not the best indicator.  I mean, we only had 170 yards passing in the Grey Cup, while laying absolute beating on the Hamilton Tiger Cats.  Bottom line, whoever the QB is, they need to have more success throwing the ball the 20 - 50 yards downfield, because then Bryant & Co. can just rip that LOS wide open. 

2 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I'm sitting on the fence when it comes to Matt Nichols, but when it comes to Blue Bomber Quarterbacks this year, passing yards are not the best indicator.  I mean, we only had 170 yards passing in the Grey Cup, while laying absolute beating on the Hamilton Tiger Cats.  Bottom line, whoever the QB is, they need to have more success throwing the ball the 20 - 50 yards downfield, because then Bryant & Co. can just rip that LOS wide open. 

It's a longer term plan as they move away from Nichols..

50 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

222 yards passing in the Grey Cup.

The ability to make those tight window throws to get first downs and quick throws to beat pressure is the big issue to me.  Nichols was by far the worst of the 3 who started for us this season at these two things, yes even worse than Streveler.  Our ability to score enough points this season with Nichols was hugely dependent on two things, the D/ST dominating field position and providing our offense with many possessions starting on the opponent side of midfield (or just scoring themselves) and Harris.  There weren't many 60-70-80 yard scoring drives even against crap opponents.  Too many games we've lost the past two seasons with Nichols simply as a result of our O not being able to stay on the field.

There's lots of issues with scheme too, but Nichols has never looked the same since the knee injury just prior to 2018, and I'm not sure I want to hitch my wagon to his recovery from a pretty significant shoulder joint injury.

6 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

222 yards passing in the Grey Cup.

The ability to make those tight window throws to get first downs and quick throws to beat pressure is the big issue to me.  Nichols was by far the worst of the 3 who started for us this season at these two things, yes even worse than Streveler.  Our ability to score enough points this season with Nichols was hugely dependent on two things, the D/ST dominating field position and providing our offense with many possessions starting on the opponent side of midfield (or just scoring themselves) and Harris.  There weren't many 60-70-80 yard scoring drives even against crap opponents.  Too many games we've lost the past two seasons with Nichols simply as a result of our O not being able to stay on the field.

There's lots of issues with scheme too, but Nichols has never looked the same since the knee injury just prior to 2018, and I'm not sure I want to hitch my wagon to his recovery from a pretty significant shoulder joint injury.

Edit: I meant to write ‘Collaros had 170 yards passing in the Grey Cup.’ 

I also wonder how much of the dependence on Harris is by design? He was the Grey Cup MOP & MOC, after all.

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

You mean when Nichols played against all the easy teams and padded his stats?   He played Ottawa, BC and Toronto each twice. 

How did his last 4 games go ...  under 200 yards passing  only 3 TD to 4 ints.... fell down at the slightest hint of pressure... and this was against easy teams.  

Collaros comes in late in the season with out any familiarity with the offense or the players and completely out shines him playing against elite teams.    I dont' want LaPo anymore as an OC  but that makes it clear as day that the issue is at QB.  

Just because you and Noeller bark at the thought of anyone crapping on Nichols doesn't mean you are right.  

Nichols in his last 3 games was trending at 175 yards passing per game with two of the games against BC and Toronto.   This was with Harris and mostly healthy line up.    The guy at this point should be a veteran insurance back up like Glenn was in his last years. 

Yay for small sample sizes!

Yes Collaros and Nichols do things differently, and maybe Collaros is the overall better quarterback... but the numbers offensively still played out the same for every quarterback we used. Not super impressive passing stats, a crap load of rushing yards. The way this team was set up was the same for every qb. Don't make mistakes and capitalize on the chances you get. That's what Nichols was doing this year. It is quite frankly unfair to put the midseason crap on Nichols. There was a fundamental change in the way this team played after those games they gave away with the passive ****. Defensively they tightened up a hell of a lot and offensively they stayed more aggressive too. 

Let's consider that Bailey and Lawler really came on as the season progressed and I don't think Nichols ever got the chance to have Bailey in the lineup. That makes a difference too. 

To try and downplay Matt Nichols is just  silly give all the factors surrounding this team. 

7 hours ago, tacklewasher said:

Don't know enough about the forum, but that pretty much describes Rider fans in general. USed to be fine, but the last dozen years or so they've become inundated with dicks.

That racist old Black Panther Roy Shivers changed their culture. He was aggressive in his hate for other teams & that hate became part of their fan culture. He felt Rider fans had been pushed around for too long. That they had no pride. Hence the nickname Priders. They've been douchebag fans ever since. I used to say Shivers was a great 1 dimensional recruiter. That he could find a player like Solomon Elimimian but he couldn't find someone like Adam Bighill or Nate Holley because he had no interest in doing so. 

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That racist old Black Panther Roy Shivers changed their culture. He was aggressive in his hate for other teams & that hate became part of their fan culture. He felt Rider fans had been pushed around for too long. That they had no pride. Hence the nickname Priders. They've been douchebag fans ever since. I used to say Shivers was a great 1 dimensional recruiter. That he could find a player like Solomon Elimimian but he couldn't find someone like Adam Bighill or Nate Holley because he had no interest in doing so. 

He was an angry dude with a chip on his shoulder coupled with an enormous amount of arrogance. It's no wonder that the bandwagon jumpers who joined that fan base when he was GM took on his personality. 

12 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

He was an angry dude with a chip on his shoulder coupled with an enormous amount of arrogance. It's no wonder that the bandwagon jumpers who joined that fan base when he was GM took on his personality. 

Wally Buono & the Stamps gave him his first shot in pro football to be more than just a scout. He became Wally's right hand man for 8 seasons helping in recruiting & negotiating contracts. Then in late 1999, he got his chance to be the Riders GM. The first thing he does is start trashing the Stamps. I never understood the hate he had for Calgary when he was GM in Saskatchewan. To me, it was just disgusting that he would talk so negatively about the former team that gave him his first break into pro football yet there he was running his mouth constantly for the entire time he was in Regina. Then, after he was fired by the Riders, who picked him up off of the ground & dusted him off? Wally Buono when he became GM of the Lions.  

Edited by SpeedFlex27

24 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Wally Buono & the Stamps gave him his first shot in pro football to be more than just a scout. He became Wally's right hand man for 8 seasons helping in recruiting & negotiating contracts. Then in late 1999, he got his chance to be the Riders GM. The first thing he does is start trashing the Stamps. I never understood the hate he had for Calgary when he was GM in Saskatchewan. To me, it was just disgusting that he would talk so negatively about the former team that gave him his first break into pro football yet there he was running his mouth constantly for the entire time he was in Regina. Then, after he was fired by the Riders, who picked him up off of the ground & dusted him off? Wally Buono when he became GM of the Lions.  

probably pissed off that he had to work for a white man. 

Guy was one of those real angry racists. And yes I am sure he had to deal with discrimination and racism directed his way in his life, but the answer to that is never being racist right back. 

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

probably pissed off that he had to work for a white man. 

Guy was one of those real angry racists. And yes I am sure he had to deal with discrimination and racism directed his way in his life, but the answer to that is never being racist right back. 

And to just recruit players of colour as well? Think an NFL team would let him do that? Not because it's racist because a recruiter should have the best interests of the team he works for as his #1 priority & they want results. If a player is white & he can help the team you work for then sign him. He wouldn't do that. Like you said, I'm sure that  he was discriminated against but 2 wrongs don't make a right. Football was still good to him in that he rose to the position of a CFL GM. Not many guys can say that.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Interesting note on Twitter this morning... Apparently Timmy Condell has declined 3 requests to interview for HC vacancies. Has no interest in leaving at this time... 

I guess I respect the self awareness and personal contentment.

I'm not sure what job he thinks is opening up in the next year or two if that is what he is waiting for.