2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

7 minutes ago, JCon said:

There's an arena downtown too. Oh, and The Forks. Human Rights Museum. The Royal MTC. The Concert Hall.

There's endless things to do in this city whether you're outdoorsy or in-doorsy. 

If you choose to focus on the Dollaramas, that's up to you. But, as someone who has lived across this country and travelled quite a bit too, there are dollar stores everywhere. 

It really is up to him. 

He's just expressing an opinion. Let's not get our inferiority complexes riled up. 

Edited by Jesse

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

There's an arena downtown too. Oh, and The Forks. Human Rights Museum. The Royal MTC. The Concert Hall.

There's endless things to do in this city whether you're outdoorsy or in-doorsy. 

If you choose to focus on the Dollaramas, that's up to you. But, as someone who has lived across this country and travelled quite a bit too, there are dollar stores everywhere. 

And I have done them all...like I said been here for 50 years...The downtown core is rather uninviting  and for some that is a huge turn-off (me I am used to it as I work there and see the alley behind portage place almost everyday)

I don't get overly defensive when people comment that Winnipeg isn't high on their lists of great places to live ..I can see where that impression comes from but at the same time I am still proud to be from here and will continue to make it my home.  

I don't wanna derail this thread, but **** every single one of you shitting on Winnipeg. Listen, as a city, I don't LOVE Winnipeg....but after moving to Alberta, I have come to REALLY appreciate Winnipeg. My wife is born and raised Calgary and is extremely vocal about her desire to move to Manitoba sooner rather than later. Granted, we would likely live in Lorette or something and commute, but the point remains. The winters are only slightly worse than Calgary and the summers are 10x better. The craft beer scene is booming, and there's no better fishing anywhere....**** the haters. I go to bat for Manitoba a LOT, and Winnipeg more than I used to.......

Okay, back to the offseason stuff and wringing my hands over the thought of losing 1/3 of The Trinity....

42 minutes ago, The Zipp said:

I am certainly entitled to my opinion and like I said i am choosing to stay here cause it's home but I can see why many people leave Winnipeg.  The weather is one, the size is another (some people like the smaller city, some dont).  The political climate...3 dollaramas and dollar trees downtown aren't a great draw...

don't take it personal but in my opinion it's just facts and observations after living in MB for 50 years.  

Just how many Dollaramas do you need?

27 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

If Walters is out and O'Shea stays that would mean that  this would have been Wade Miller's call.  I'm finding this somewhat difficult to swallow.   

Yeah, as much as I appreciate Kirk Penton with the only CFL coverage on The Athletic, and find his "insiders" comments interesting, you have to take them with a huge pile of salt. Even Penton knows this, hence why he often puts contradictory quotes in there. So many questions. Who are the insiders? Are their comments influenced by biases they have against certain teams? (spoiler alert: almost always) Do they actually know what they are talking about? Sometimes yes. Often no - like the early season fawning over BC, and how "insiders" blamed everything on the O-line coach and the Canadians on the O-line. Kinda missed that one insiders. 

Edited by M.Silverback

23 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

Yeah, as much as I appreciate Kirk Penton with the only CFL coverage on The Athletic, and find his "insiders" comments interesting, you have to take them with a huge pile of salt. Even Penton knows this, hence why he often puts contradictory quotes in there. So many questions. Who are the insiders? Are their comments influenced by biases they have against certain teams? (spoiler alert: almost always) Do they actually know what they are talking about? Sometimes yes. Often no - like the early season fawning over BC, and how "insiders" blamed everything on the O-line coach and the Canadians on the O-line. Kinda missed that one insiders. 

Penton doesn't know enough about the Bombers to properly evaluate the validity of what his "insiders" are saying.  Maybe at one point he did, but he's hopelessly out of touch now that he's semi-retired in Kelowna.

28 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

Those "insider" quotes are kind of like the review sections on anything being sold online.  The only people talking are ones with a grudge, and some of the other quotes by employed people are likely purposeful.

1 hour ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Does Argos have the $ to pay O'Shea?

I'm not sure if they're still paying for Trestman. 

And to hire O'Shea, they have to fire Chamblin who has 2 year left in his contract. 

It's reported that Chamblin will not step down as HC, to be a DC, if Clemons asks him. 

Ok now. there's where the money will come from. Leafs (MLSE) just fired Babcock. :D :D :D 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

Not sure if anyone reads the Kirk Penton "insider" article on the Athletic... but there's some interesting tidbits in today's edition...

• I think (Jason) Maas stays in Edmonton. Heard (Mike) O’Shea is going to be out in Winnipeg and going to Toronto regardless of what happens. Which leads to whom in Winnipeg? Don’t see why that would happen. I think Mike is a good coach. But I guess him and top brass don’t see eye to eye.-

• My coaches think (Ted) Goveia gets promoted. (Mike) O’Shea stays, and (Kyle) Walters is out. Don’t think O’Shea and Walters are tight anymore

I find it interesting that two (presumably) different sources are saying that Walters and O'Shea are no longer on the same page...

Nothing about that makes sense 

MOS is as good as gone. Been saying it all year. It's here or Toronto, doubt he'd even go to Hamilton if the job was there.

The only thing that could keep him here is the coaches cap implications in Toronto.

If he wins us a cup, who cares. This is here and now.

I'd sell my soul for a cup at this point so if you offered me the proposition "lose o'shea for a coin flip in the grey cup game" I'd take that gamble 7 days a week lol

Edited by Dr Zaius

1 hour ago, The Zipp said:

I am certainly entitled to my opinion and like I said i am choosing to stay here cause it's home but I can see why many people leave Winnipeg.  The weather is one, the size is another (some people like the smaller city, some dont).  The political climate...3 dollaramas and dollar trees downtown aren't a great draw...

don't take it personal but in my opinion it's just facts and observations after living in MB for 50 years.  

Every "downtown" in Canada is an absolute shithole outside of Montreal.

Most cities have a real nice and vibrant area(s) just on the edge of downtown and Winnipeg is no different.

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Came here to post this, but I don't know how to imbed tweets so I'm glad you did it first

when you're on Twitter, click the "copy link to tweet" thing.....then when you come here, right click, then "paste as text", and it will auto-embed :) #TheMoreYouKnow