2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Meh, you beat this drum every year and they keep ending up above us in the standings.

I'll believe it when I see it.

You've seen it. We just beat them two years in a row in the playoffs in their own house. The regular season is just white noise in comparison. It's why our 2017 season wasn't as good as we thought it was, and why our 2018 and 2019 were better seasons than we first thought. Anyone can ride a thirty something old veteran group into the playoffs, few can win with them. If you are building a team for regular season success and not playoff success then you are building your team incorrectly. Especially when that veteran group is your core and it has aged out.

BTW, I have correctly predicted every year since 2015 that we were a better team than the Riders, and every year we were.

Edited by gcn11

their core next year will be very gutted...and if they choose to bring them all back...if it's possible I hope they do...an aging declining crew who couldn't get it done this year...won't next...I also think that CoFag will level out and be an average QB who will keep them around .500 or slightly better...he is not a game changer by any means

Not sure how a fan base calls a season a rebuild when they brought back basically the same team from 2018 starter wise and added a high priced Free Agent pick-up for defense who did squat for them, and an aging high priced free agent running back whom they chose to not use properly...they added big buck guys Ryan..Johnson..Powell and to lesser degree Arceneaux to add to the same starters from previous year...how is that a rebuild???

They were giddy with their abundance of talent...over estimated it slightly and added what they thought were big free agent scores...Their own words were Jefferson was not a loss and were even better with Johnson...not a rebuild...just an old team who fizzled out, and got out coached...

Not sure if anyone reads the Kirk Penton "insider" article on the Athletic... but there's some interesting tidbits in today's edition...

• I think (Jason) Maas stays in Edmonton. Heard (Mike) O’Shea is going to be out in Winnipeg and going to Toronto regardless of what happens. Which leads to whom in Winnipeg? Don’t see why that would happen. I think Mike is a good coach. But I guess him and top brass don’t see eye to eye.-

• My coaches think (Ted) Goveia gets promoted. (Mike) O’Shea stays, and (Kyle) Walters is out. Don’t think O’Shea and Walters are tight anymore

I find it interesting that two (presumably) different sources are saying that Walters and O'Shea are no longer on the same page...

9 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Not sure if anyone reads the Kirk Penton "insider" article on the Athletic... but there's some interesting tidbits in today's edition...

• I think (Jason) Maas stays in Edmonton. Heard (Mike) O’Shea is going to be out in Winnipeg and going to Toronto regardless of what happens. Which leads to whom in Winnipeg? Don’t see why that would happen. I think Mike is a good coach. But I guess him and top brass don’t see eye to eye.-

• My coaches think (Ted) Goveia gets promoted. (Mike) O’Shea stays, and (Kyle) Walters is out. Don’t think O’Shea and Walters are tight anymore

I find it interesting that two (presumably) different sources are saying that Walters and O'Shea are no longer on the same page...

This would be absolutely wild if true. There has literally been nothing to suggest these three are anything but a close-knit team.

Not that we ever hear any leaks out of the organization, so they could just respect each other enough to keep it in house.

4 minutes ago, Jesse said:

This would be absolutely wild if true. There has literally been nothing to suggest these three are anything but a close-knit team.

Not that we ever hear any leaks out of the organization, so they could just respect each other enough to keep it in house.

O'Shea may have disagreed with Walters on acquiring or starting Collaros but you would think the results of the last three games would be positive enough for one of them to concede that they were wrong in their pre-assessment of his impact.  I think the rumour is hogwash.

This sure feels like pure speculation. How has Penton's  predictive track record been in the past? Walters has done a very good job and would be a real loss but may have had issues with O'Shea's personnel management (ie: Drew Willy) and O'Shea's stubbornness. Can't help thinking that O'Shea would be a real fan draw in the Big Smoke. And who says Goveia has the credentials to become a head coach.?

Well if MOS leaves I think the draw of southern Ontario is what did it...his son is going to school at Guelph...his family is from there - he has strong ties to the Argos and if they win the cup he can simply say that he accomplished what he set out to do in Winnipeg.  

Winnipeg is a bit of a hole too...I live here , will prob die here but let's be honest...

38 minutes ago, The Zipp said:

Well if MOS leaves I think the draw of southern Ontario is what did it...his son is going to school at Guelph...his family is from there - he has strong ties to the Argos and if they win the cup he can simply say that he accomplished what he set out to do in Winnipeg.  

Winnipeg is a bit of a hole too...I live here , will prob die here but let's be honest...

Disagree. No city is perfect, but I have lived in Ontario, Alberta and Saskatchewan and this is an imperfect but  great city. 

Edited by Tracker

Does Argos have the $ to pay O'Shea?

I'm not sure if they're still paying for Trestman. 

And to hire O'Shea, they have to fire Chamblin who has 2 year left in his contract. 

It's reported that Chamblin will not step down as HC, to be a DC, if Clemons asks him. 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

3 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Does Argos have the $ to pay O'Shea?

I'm not sure if they're still paying for Trestman. 

And to hire O'Shea, they have to fire Chamblin who has 2 year left in his contract. 

It's reported that Chamblin will not step down as HC, to be a DC, if Clemons asks him. 

Popp as well, I think Trestman was their Mulligan.

20 minutes ago, Tracker said:

This sure feels like pure speculation. How has Penton's  predictive track record been in the past? Walters has done a very good job and would be a real loss but may have had issues with O'Shea's personnel management (ie: Drew Willy) and O'Shea's stubbornness. Can't help thinking that O'Shea would be a real fan draw in the Big Smoke. And who says Goveia has the credentials to become a head coach.?

This isn't Penton predicting anything. It's simply him sharing things that are said to him from people around the league.

3 minutes ago, MC said:

I cannot stand this type of crap - usually from people who never lived anywhere else and just visit other cities.  Trust me, Winnipeg has a lot going for it.

I am certainly entitled to my opinion and like I said i am choosing to stay here cause it's home but I can see why many people leave Winnipeg.  The weather is one, the size is another (some people like the smaller city, some dont).  The political climate...3 dollaramas and dollar trees downtown aren't a great draw...

don't take it personal but in my opinion it's just facts and observations after living in MB for 50 years.  

2 minutes ago, The Zipp said:

I am certainly entitled to my opinion and like I said i am choosing to stay here cause it's home but I can see why many people leave Winnipeg.  The weather is one, the size is another (some people like the smaller city, some dont).  The political climate...3 dollaramas and dollar trees downtown aren't a great draw...

don't take it personal but in my opinion it's just facts and observations after living in MB for 50 years.  

There's an arena downtown too. Oh, and The Forks. Human Rights Museum. The Royal MTC. The Concert Hall.

There's endless things to do in this city whether you're outdoorsy or in-doorsy. 

If you choose to focus on the Dollaramas, that's up to you. But, as someone who has lived across this country and travelled quite a bit too, there are dollar stores everywhere.