2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

For some teams, the CFL Offseason is here. Rather than lose all the coaching movement discussions to the Regular season thread, I thought we could start putting it here.

Those teams currently lost in the wilderness:

Ottawa

Toronto

BC

Montreal

Calgary

Edmonton

Saskatchewan

Hamilton

The champs are here.. the champs are here... Winnipeg*

*Grey Cup Champions

5 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

This thread could really pick up after Sunday if we don't win eh......  I'm not sure though that O'Shea would be that hot of a commodity with his record,  regular season record his is building on....but a poor playoff record will eventually overshadow that won't it ?

Nope. Only three teams in the off season right now. We'll all get there eventually but lets not expedite the process.

The real question, do we see a coaching change in Toronto? They've been beat to the punch by the two other teams already.

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

Nope. Only three teams in the off season right now. We'll all get there eventually but lets not expedite the process.

The real question, do we see a coaching change in Toronto? They've been beat to the punch by the two other teams already.

I'm not sure what they'll do. They're still paying Trestman and that's counting against their salary cap, so, I think they'll stay put. Unless MOS becomes available, which I doubt. 

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

My god, this can't be true. 

He signed a three year deal in 2017. Regardless, when they fired him, his salary still counted against the cap. As I understand it, they're able to spread that out over 5 years. So, $600k *2 years (2018 & 2019) = $1.2M /5 = $240k/year against the cap. 

14 minutes ago, JCon said:

He signed a three year deal in 2017. Regardless, when they fired him, his salary still counted against the cap. As I understand it, they're able to spread that out over 5 years. So, $600k *2 years (2018 & 2019) = $1.2M /5 = $240k/year against the cap. 

As I understand it, most coaches have a clause in their contracts that say they get paid less by the original team if they get a new job. More like a 'top up' number to pay the difference between the original contract and their new contract with their new team. That would significantly reduce the cap hit. 

37 minutes ago, Jesse said:

That's just for salary cap purposes though. Hard pill to swallow if they're paying three guys.

For MLSE this is not a lot of money. Leafs and Raptors are huge moneybags. A little coin spillage would deal with Argos salary issues. The embarassment of empty seats is more of an issue. 

11 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

As lazy a player as I can remember 

I've heard Doug Brown say some "I know things, but I can't really say it on the air" stuff during broadcasts, and I think it would be really fun to drink scotch (he's a scotch guy...) with DB97 and ask him what he really thinks about Duron Carter....

3 hours ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

I really hope this is the last stop for DC. If he couldnt revive his little bit of success he had with the Riders, with Mike Reilly throwing him the ball I dont know where else he would fit in.

D (bag) Carter is my nominee for Fans Choice Award of Most Detested Player, ever. 

Edited by Rod Black

If we have a strong playoff run & win the West, O'Shea will be back. if  It's a quick exit, I don't think Walters can sell the majority of the fanbase on another three years of the guy. There's a small but vocal group (some here) that think O"Shea is a great coach but they're in the minority. I think coaches have to be judged on post season success not just good regular seasons. O'Shea has never had a great season as a coach. A bunch of good ones. Not great. Hence, his losing record. He's never had a couple of dominant season to offset the dreadful ones. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

O'Shea has done a lot of good things here and he gets props for that. He brought us back up to a winning standard and he learned to be a head coach. Fair exchange. If he wants to go back home to Toronto then I wish him all the best. There's just the matter of a little bit of unfinished business here to take care of. Go Bombers!

1 hour ago, J5V said:

O'Shea has done a lot of good things here and he gets props for that. He brought us back up to a winning standard and he learned to be a head coach. Fair exchange. If he wants to go back home to Toronto then I wish him all the best. There's just the matter of a little bit of unfinished business here to take care of. Go Bombers!

Good things. That's the key phrase. Not great. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27