The Trade Thread

15 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Seems like smoke has ignited to a small flame, way to much about Laine and the way he has been used, attitude toward coach and what he may be looking for financially speaking, still can't believe that the Jets will trade him but I'm slowly being coaxed.

Maurice and his refusal to leave Laine on the first line will be our downfall...better to leave Wheeler there he is in his prime.🙄

Too many 'if's and really no confirmation from Laine to believe any of this trade rumour talk....I don't see any trade partner being mentioned...just that Laine 'apparently' wants to be moved and that according to his agent....That's pretty weak...In any event IF it does happen that we part ways with Patrik we better be getting a truck load coming our way and not a load of crap..I'll wait for something more concrete than the musing from the tsn news maker wannabe's 

Just now, Stickem said:

Too many 'if's and really no confirmation from Laine to believe any of this trade rumour talk....I don't see any trade partner being mentioned...just that Laine 'apparently' wants to be moved and that according to his agent....That's pretty weak...In any event IF it does happen that we part ways with Patrik we better be getting a truck load coming our way and not a load of crap..I'll wait for something more concrete than the musing from the tsn news maker wannabe's 

The agents didn't say necessarily that he wanted to be moved, just that it would be mutually beneficial for both parties. That's not really an, if, but more of an sad realization that it could be over. 

Laine has many flaws in his game and he needs to develop. If the Jets just put him at the top of the circle and let him shoot all the time, he wouldn't develop. 

But, he's also has elite level talent and will be an elite level NHLer. If Laine doesn't see that he's becoming a better overall player, then that's on him (and his reps). 

18 minutes ago, JCon said:

The agents didn't say necessarily that he wanted to be moved, just that it would be mutually beneficial for both parties. That's not really an, if, but more of an sad realization that it could be over. 

Laine has many flaws in his game and he needs to develop. If the Jets just put him at the top of the circle and let him shoot all the time, he wouldn't develop. 

But, he's also has elite level talent and will be an elite level NHLer. If Laine doesn't see that he's becoming a better overall player, then that's on him (and his reps). 

To a point,but if he isn't getting ice time with other top players how is it his fault?  Why should he stick with a coach who clearly favors other players over him? He outplayed Wheeler last year and his reward? Second line again with a fourth line center. We wonder why he is frustrated?

8 minutes ago, bb1 said:

To a point,but if he isn't getting ice time with other top players how is it his fault?  Why should he stick with a coach who clearly favors other players over him? He outplayed Wheeler last year and his reward? Second line again with a fourth line center. We wonder why he is frustrated?

In what way? After Little got pucked Wheeler became a center.

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

In what way? After Little got pucked Wheeler became a center.

Nope after we acquired Eakin ,Laine was dropped to second line with him and Ehlers....another fourth line center in Eakin was added to list of centers that Laine has played with. And again we wonder why he wants out maybe?

Edited by bb1

1 minute ago, bb1 said:

Nope after we acquired Eakin ,Laine was dropped to second line with him and Ehlers....another fourth line center.

Wheeler is a better player than Laine is right now. And, he has great chemistry with Sheif. 

I would be in favour of firing Maurice if he didn't put Sheif and Wheeler together, rather than appeasing a young, incredibly talented but also flawed, player. 

7 minutes ago, JCon said:

Wheeler is a better player than Laine is right now. And, he has great chemistry with Sheif. 

I would be in favour of firing Maurice if he didn't put Sheif and Wheeler together, rather than appeasing a young, incredibly talented but also flawed, player. 

Good thing your not a coach or GM! I jest but we are a drafting team and if we can't ( or won't) have a coach that can let the young guys play. ( i will include Roslo and Niku in this) then these young guys are gonna walk...reality of modern day million dollar paychecks. These guys know it will cost them big coin down the road if they are not playing.The days of players biding their time is over.

1 minute ago, bb1 said:

Edited by bb1

1 minute ago, bb1 said:

Good thing your not a coach or GM! I jest but we are a drafting team and if we can't ( or won't) have a coach that can let the young guys play. ( i will include Roslo and Niku in this) then these young guys are gonna walk...reality of modern day million dollar paychecks. These guys know it will cost them big coin down the road if they are not playing.

Yeah, good thing.... Some players might actually develop. 

I remember when people lost their minds when Sheif wasn't get the top minutes because of his "potential" 

Niku has earned his spot on the Moose. Roslo has never shown he can play centre at the NHL level. Potential, sure. 

Everyone wants the rookies to play now, play now, play now, ignoring the fact that they need to develop to be better players. 

It's not "reality of modern day", players have always wanted to play more. Always. 

44 minutes ago, JCon said:

Yeah, good thing.... Some players might actually develop. 

I remember when people lost their minds when Sheif wasn't get the top minutes because of his "potential" 

Niku has earned his spot on the Moose. Roslo has never shown he can play centre at the NHL level. Potential, sure. 

Everyone wants the rookies to play now, play now, play now, ignoring the fact that they need to develop to be better players. 

It's not "reality of modern day", players have always wanted to play more. Always. 

Yep no doubt but the 10 million plus paydays are now, and the mindset is now not later ,you just have to look at the players now no matter how little experience they have that demand play me or trade me. That has changed. No player of Laine 's ability is gonna be happy with second line minutes. Too much money on the table.

12 minutes ago, JCon said:

Laine had like 75% of his time on ice with Sheif last year. And, he got more 5on5 ice time than Wheeler too, I believe. 

But at the end of the year it was Laine who was put with Eakin not Wheeler..we can spin it anyway we want but it looks like Laine is not happy with how he has been treated and i agree with him,Maurice has his favorites and that's that. Most coaches do,but imo its wise to make them your most talented. 

According to the tsn talking heads ..potential landing spots for Patrik are Columbus....Detroit....or L.A.....So that's their latest take IF Laine is moved....No mention....not even a guess about who these teams are willing to part with in a trade....Which brings me to, you have to give up great talent to get great talent....How do any one of those clubs mentioned move forward by making a 'saw off ' deal...UNLESS they think they can pull off a shyster deal ..Chevy is not going to part ways with the most liked player on this club for diddly....and he didn't just fall off the turnip truck....We better be talking 'blue chip' for 'blue chip' or someone's arse is gonna be on the line

• 2 weeks later...

Last year Laine played more time with Scheifele than Wheeler did and averaged almost a minute per game more in ice time. Usage theories debunked.

Some will say, well that's only because of the Little injury, but does it matter? Fact is that Laine had ample opportunity to play with Scheif and had ample ice time.  He is 22 years old and still developing and quite frankly if his usage is the concern he has then maybe we should trade him because he would then be a me first guy. The Jets have done everything possible this offseason to set him up for success, if he is still unhappy unload him.

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Last year Laine played more time with Scheifele than Wheeler did and averaged almost a minute per game more in ice time. Usage theories debunked.

Some will say, well that's only because of the Little injury, but does it matter? Fact is that Laine had ample opportunity to play with Scheif and had ample ice time.  He is 22 years old and still developing and quite frankly if his usage is the concern he has then maybe we should trade him because he would then be a me first guy. The Jets have done everything possible this offseason to set him up for success, if he is still unhappy unload him.

I repeat again, at the end of the year when your best players need to shine,Laine was dropped to second line with a fourth line center. That would make any star upset,spin it any way want. Unload him yes,make our team weaker by unloading a top scorer over a mediocre coach i guess that's where we are headed.

18 hours ago, bb1 said:

I repeat again, at the end of the year when your best players need to shine,Laine was dropped to second line with a fourth line center. That would make any star upset,spin it any way want. Unload him yes,make our team weaker by unloading a top scorer over a mediocre coach i guess that's where we are headed.

Laine should displace who exactly? Wheeler? Who ranks in the top 10 in NHL scoring production over the past 5 years. Connor? ...and play on the off wing?  Where exactly would you put Laine, who still has some weaknesses in his overall game, if you were Maurice? Imo, Maurice is providing him with ample ice time, and has provided plenty of top line and PP minutes. Could he have given him more? Sure. Is it a slam dunk that he should have done so...far from it.

Laine has to learn to put the team ahead of himself. There is NOTHING in the evolution of his usage that should have him upset. 

Edited by GCn20

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Laine should displace who exactly? Wheeler? Who ranks in the top 10 in NHL scoring production over the past 5 years. Connor? ...and play on the off wing?  Where exactly would you put Laine, who still has some weaknesses in his overall game, if you were Maurice? Imo, Maurice is providing him with ample ice time, and has provided plenty of top line and PP minutes. Could he have given him more? Sure. Is it a slam dunk that he should have done so...far from it.

Laine has to learn to put the team ahead of himself. There is NOTHING in the evolution of his usage that should have him upset. 

Of course Wheeler,how old is Wheeler now? And you can see that he is not the same player he was 2 years ago,no shame happens to all players. I think Laine took his game to a better level last year and how was he rewarded? There is no top level talent like Laine that will bid his time ,careers are too short and money these players can make too large. 

12 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Of course Wheeler,how old is Wheeler now? And you can see that he is not the same player he was 2 years ago,no shame happens to all players. I think Laine took his game to a better level last year and how was he rewarded? There is no top level talent like Laine that will bid his time ,careers are too short and money these players can make too large. 

He was "rewarded" with the more ice time. He's not as responsible or as good of a player as Wheeler is today, which is why he's behind him. Even if Wheeler has lost a step, he's still a better player TODAY. 

2 hours ago, JCon said:

He was "rewarded" with the more ice time. He's not as responsible or as good of a player as Wheeler is today, which is why he's behind him. Even if Wheeler has lost a step, he's still a better player TODAY. 

I don't agree but compare them both at 22? The potential is definitely still there for Laine. Wheeler has been a good pro but his best is behind him.

Just now, bb1 said:

I don't agree but compare them both at 22? The potential is definitely still there for Laine. Wheeler has been a good pro but his best is behind him.

Compare them both at 22? Why? What does such a comparison accomplish now?

Here's my take: Blake Wheeler is on, if not close to, the back 9 of his career. He's still a top line winger, though.
Laine needs to play top minutes against the league's best in order to continue his development into a superstar. The ceiling for him is extremely high.

Keeping 55 and 26 together as some hard-set rule makes no sense in regard to either of those aspects, but it isn't a hard-set rule by the head coach (despite what some have claimed). Wheeler is still the more well-rounded winger, he's stronger defensively, he's more responsible with the puck, and he's often more physical. 

If anything, I'd rotate 26 and 29 at 1RW and 2RW based on situation. Laine playing with Stastny will be nice to see again but he also needs to work on his chemistry with Scheifele. Wheeler should be able to plug in on Stastny's right wing pretty easily, lessening his workload as he continues to age. If this type of flexibility can't be established on the top 6, I can't see Laine's progression happening as optimally as it should on this team.

I firmly believe a top line of Connor (LW), Scheifele (C), and Laine (RW) is the future of this team. But when that comes to fruition remains to be seen. Frankly, I'm still surprised Laine getting more top line minutes remains a point of contention for his camp; he played a ton last season. He's a second overall with one of the best shots in hockey and has set some pretty incredible records for someone his age. It only stands to reason he'll end up a top 3 in the right environment but there needs to be a balanced approach.

At 34, the captain may benefit from a slightly reduced workload, especially over time. Wheeler getting bumped down to the second line isn't some insult to him or his play; he remains a phenomenal winger and is often the straw that stirs the drink of this team's speed and intensity. And he can still do just that on the second line.

It's difficult to compare Laine to Wheeler, as their styles differ noticeably. However, both are highly effective in their own special ways but I think it goes without saying 81-55-29 is the top line of the future. And the potential of such a line has me salivating at the possibilities.

IMO, it's a touch and go situation that'll have to be dynamic. Having Stastny back on this roster is a major benefit in this regard.