The Trade Thread

3 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

Love it. Would have liked to have them retain a little bit, but eh. That's fine. The cap space is there for this reason. Another good move by Chevy. 

They retained a bit by taking Dahlstrom. $850k. 

I feel like they did not get enough here. Vegas very desperate to shed cap dollars, we should have gotten a draft pick back from them, forced them to retain salary, or offered no better than a 5th or not given a player as well. They were in more need to make this deal than we were. And I don’t know how much 2 years older and the injuries will offset the prior chemistry with Laine and Ehlers in a short sample size. If we had the 2018 Stastny and not the 2021 Stastny I’d be more pleased with the deal. We shall see. 

Great write-up from Ken Wiebe on the trade: https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/re-acquiring-paul-stastny-benefit-jets-multiple-ways/

A trade for Stastny in an attempt to rekindle some chemistry with Laine and Ehlers is a much better alternative for Cheveldayoff than moving Laine in a trade he might end up regretting.

Stastny is a highly-analytical player who loves to talk about the game, which allowed him to build a fast friendship with Jets top centre Mark Scheifele. Stastny is also close with Jets captain Blake Wheeler and it’s possible those two could play together on a line at some point, much like they did during the 2012-13 lockout when they were teammates in Germany in the DEL with Munich EHC.

We're going to have to move Roslo and Niku to add anyone else. Or, the best we'll be able to do is a $2M defender. 

Currently, we have one defender making just over $6M per year and everyone else is at $3M or less. Crazy. 

$16.075M (plus Niku). Presently, 19.7% of our cap is going to our defense. 

It's time to make some moves. 

Edited by JCon

Very interesting comments from Pierre Lebrun, who spoke with Laine's agents. 

Both sides are in regularcommunication and Laine's agents have said to Chevy, given the trade speculation, that a trade would be mutually beneficial for both parties. 

We are definitely looking at the end of Laine's tenure here, I fear. 

This doesn't sound like contract negotiation stuff. 

A shame, really.