The Trade Thread

TSN suggesting that Statsny could return to Winnipeg from Vegas.   Would you want him back?    It's a good stop gap, especially given the uncertainty of Little returning to the line up.  Plus Perfetti could learn from Schiefele and Stastny would be a boon to his development.    If this rumour holds any weight,   who could we part with?

19 minutes ago, captaincanuck12 said:

TSN suggesting that Statsny could return to Winnipeg from Vegas.   Would you want him back?    It's a good stop gap, especially given the uncertainty of Little returning to the line up.  Plus Perfetti could learn from Schiefele and Stastny would be a boon to his development.    If this rumour holds any weight,   who could we part with?

How am i going to sleep now thinking about this.

4 hours ago, Tony Fresco said:

These Trade tree videos are always fascinating to me! Love them.

I really don't believe it was about a single individual for the Nordiques as to why he not go there but clearly this was a massive one sided trade and imagine if they kept Sundin.

They also had help by...

A)MTL trading Roy

B)BOS giving Bourque to a cup contending team.

C)Non-salary cap era where moar money wins the cup

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

34 and a knee injury is a bit scary but his faceoffs and corsi are still off the charts... still taking Statsny helps Vegas more than it helps us

Part of me hopes that Chevy strings McPhee along right up until UFA opens and then pulls the trigger on another trade 

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

34 and a knee injury is a bit scary but his faceoffs and corsi are still off the charts... still taking Statsny helps Vegas more than it helps us

Part of me hopes that Chevy strings McPhee along right up until UFA opens and then pulls the trigger on another trade 

McPhee isn't the GM anymore 

On 2020-10-08 at 12:38 AM, captaincanuck12 said:

I don't know as much as I would love to have him back, we've had Comrie back, Hendricks back, and Dano back and what is that success rate? Stast has had some injuries since he was last here though

7 minutes ago, iHeart said:

I don't know as much as I would love to have him back, we've had Comrie back, Hendricks back, and Dano back and what is that success rate? Stast has had some injuries since he was last here though

This comparison makes very little sense. Comrie is AHL calibre (and a goalie), Hendricks was a 4th liner for the majority of his career (but was a solid locker room presence here), and Dano is a bottom 6 at best. Stastny is older now but he's still strong as a 2C, excellent in the face-off circle, and a solid play-maker. At this point, it remains to be seen how he'd pan out here on a second stint but the fact he enjoyed his first go-round here and had very good chemistry with his linemates speaks to the potential this trade has.

My only objection* is the Jets taking on his entire cap hit. Otherwise, this is a relatively low-risk trade (he has only one year on his contract) that would give this team a second line centre it desperately needs.

* it's not a big objection, to be clear

29 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

This comparison makes very little sense. Comrie is AHL calibre (and a goalie), Hendricks was a 4th liner for the majority of his career (but was a solid locker room presence here), and Dano is a bottom 6 at best. Stastny is older now but he's still strong as a 2C, excellent in the face-off circle, and a solid play-maker. At this point, it remains to be seen how he'd pan out here on a second stint but the fact he enjoyed his first go-round here and had very good chemistry with his linemates speaks to the potential this trade has.

My only objection* is the Jets taking on his entire cap hit. Otherwise, this is a relatively low-risk trade (he has only one year on his contract) that would give this team a second line centre it desperately needs.

* it's not a big objection, to be clear

I agree with the wish that the Knights retain some of that salary. I guess we’ll see what the Jets are giving up, because it should be essentially nothing if we’re paying all of his salary. 

Funny though that people shrug off the knee injury and age here (he’ll be 35 before the season starts) and yet sound alarm bells over Blake Wheeler’s declining skill set due to age (he is 8.5 months younger, BTW). 

5 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I agree with the wish that the Knights retain some of that salary. I guess we’ll see what the Jets are giving up, because it should be essentially nothing if we’re paying all of his salary. 

Funny though that people shrug off the knee injury and age here (he’ll be 35 before the season starts) and yet sound alarm bells over Blake Wheeler’s declining skill set due to age (he is 8.5 months younger, BTW). 

The sounds of it are that they are just ironing out the draft picks being swapped.  I believe the Jets are taking all the cap hit as well.  The rumour is that Vegas is going hard after Pieterangelo so they are clearing cap space to offer around 9M-10M to him.

2 minutes ago, captaincanuck12 said:

The sounds of it are that they are just ironing out the draft picks being swapped.  I believe the Jets are taking all the cap hit as well.  The rumour is that Vegas is going hard after Pieterangelo so they are clearing cap space to offer around 9M-10M to him.

They'll need to do a lot more than get PS off the books to do that. This just brings them 3 million under the cap. Fleury is a $7M hit but who's going to take that whole salary? 

20 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Stastny only has one year left on his deal. Wheeler has four. It's the back end that will kill us if he declines.