FANS SELECT BLUE BOMBER GREATS FOR MAIN GATES

Kind of surprised they didn't go with Walby, but all around this is a good group of legends. Can wait to see the gates in person.

http://www.bluebombers.com/article/fans ... main-gates

FANS SELECT BLUE BOMBER GREATS FOR MAIN GATES

Rare opportunity for fans to meet all four Hall of Famers on June 6, 2013

The fans have spoken and have chosen their favourite Blue Bomber living legends to grace the four main gates at Investors Group Field. After a steep online competition, they include Milt Stegall, Ken Ploen, Doug Brown, and Joe Poplawski.

“All four are true ambassadors and well deserve this honour,” said Garth Buchko, President and CEO of the Winnipeg Football Club. “To this day, they continue to bleed Blue and Gold which is why they remain so beloved by our fans.”

After narrowing the choices to 40 names, fans logged on to www.bluebombers.com and voted for who they thought should adorn the massive signs at each of the four main gates.

“Not only will these iconic gates take on lives of their own as popular meeting places,” said Buchko, “but they will also be constant reminders of our rich past and the heritage that drives us forward.”

Milt Stegall (Gate 1, sponsored by the MLCC) was an all-star receiver for the Blue Bombers from 1995-2008 and held several major CFL records upon his retirement including most career receiving yards. He currently holds the records for career receiving touchdowns and most touchdowns scored.

Ken Ploen (Gate 2, sponsored by CJOB 680) led the Blue Bombers to six Grey Cup appearances as quarterback, including four victories. In the 49th Grey Cup in 1961, Ploen scored one of the most memorable touchdowns in professional football history, eluding numerous defenders on an 18-yard run into the end zone during overtime to win.

Doug Brown (Gate 3, sponsored by Budweiser) was named the CFL’s Most Outstanding Canadian in his first year in the league in 2001 and finished his career ranked second on the team’s all-time tackles list with 429 and his 52 sacks is third-best in team history.

Joe Poplawski (Gate 4, sponsored by Advance) was a five-time All-Star who helped the Blue Bombers capture the 72nd Grey Cup in 1984 by hauling in five passes for 101 yards and a touchdown in the championship game. At the age of 29, he ended his career with 8,341 receiving yards on 549 receptions and 48 touchdowns.

Winnipeg Blue Bomber fans are invited to ‘Come Meet the Greats’ at the unveiling of the gates:

DATE: Thursday, June 6, 2013

TIME: 12:00 noon for the unveiling

5:00 – 7:00 p.m. for the Meet & Greet

PLACE: The Bomber Store, Investors Group Field

To celebrate the occasion, special edition merchandise, signed by all four legends, will be available to purchase during the in-store Meet & Greet.

Investors Group Field will also feature Blue Bomber alumni on eight smaller gates and 16 directional signs. These will be unveiled on opening day.

Agreed that Walby should be there, but then...pulling off DB97? I dunno...he's the only one you could, but I dunno....

Clearly they will have to build a 5th gate.

ha ha -- it's the only way. Brown's not only the best DT in Bomber history, he's one of the best D players in league history, period. Pretty tough to not have him honoured in some way...

I can think of about 6 or 7 people I'd pick before Doug Brown, honestly.

Milt, Ploen, Walby, Poplawski, Cal Murphy, Tyrone Jones, Richard Harris, Cameron ...

ok, 8.

While I don't disagree with you.. Brown is a recognizable face at this point.. alot of new fans won't know who Richard Harris was or Tyrone Jones.. You have to consider all the angles..

and its not like Brown was some rag player who doesn't deserve the recognition.. He was arguably 1-2 of the best interior defensive line men (and canadian to boot) that we have seen...

Milt, Ploen, Walby, Poplawski, Cal Murphy, Tyrone Jones, Richard Harris, Cameron ...

ok, 8.

While I don't disagree with you.. Brown is a recognizable face at this point.. alot of new fans won't know who Richard Harris was or Tyrone Jones.. You have to consider all the angles..

and its not like Brown was some rag player who doesn't deserve the recognition.. He was arguably 1-2 of the best interior defensive line men (and canadian to boot) that we have seen...

I have to be honest, I just don't really care for Doug Brown. lol

ok, 8.

I have to be honest, I just don't really care for Doug Brown. lol

lol but you have to respect what he did bring to the table.

If selections were being made 20-30 years from now, I agree DB97 wouldn't likely have made the cut. But he is instantly recognizable to most current fans, he's Canadian, he's a Winnipeg resident.. oh, and he's a 7 time CFL All-Star.

Now... I personally would have put Chris Walby ahead of Doug Brown. He was a 9 time CFL All-Star, Winnipeg born and raised, and is also a Winnipeg resident. If current Bomber fans aren't aware of who Chris Walby is, they should be.

The anti-DB97 sentiments in this thread are laughable. He's one of the greatest Bombers of all time, period. He's everything a CFLer should be. Canadian, Elite-level talent, lived in Wpg year round and contributed countless hours in the community. One of the greatest CFLers of all time, bar none. Ridiculous to think he won't be considered Top 5 in 30 years...ridiculous.

ok, 8.

Sure he was a loveable guy, but an assistant coach should not be one of only 4 people chosen for an honour like that.

I would have had Walby before either of Brown or Poplawski.

For what it's worth, even DB97 himself thinks Walby shoulda got his spot. Just tweeted that Walby is the greatest lineman of all time, and that the reason he (Brown) got the votes is because of immediacy and when he retired...

The anti-DB97 sentiments in this thread are laughable. He's one of the greatest Bombers of all time, period. He's everything a CFLer should be. Canadian, Elite-level talent, lived in Wpg year round and contributed countless hours in the community. One of the greatest CFLers of all time, bar none. Ridiculous to think he won't be considered Top 5 in 30 years...ridiculous.

QFT

QFT

I'm skimming back through the comments... seems more like 'pro-other guys' than 'anti-DB97' but that's just me. DB97 was stellar, if Cup-less. From where I sit, Stegall gets the nod because of all the records he set, despite not winning a Cup. Bud Grant also seems like a pretty good choice, if a Coach were to be featured.

At this point, it doesn't really matter, now does it? Doug Brown deserves to be honored, no matter what.

Edit: 'Dough' Brown would be a terrible nickname.

QFT

I'm skimming back through the comments... seems more like 'pro-other guys' than 'anti-DB97' but that's just me. DB97 was stellar, if Cup-less. From where I sit, Stegall gets the nod because of all the records he set, despite not winning a Cup. Bud Grant also seems like a pretty good choice, if a Coach were to be featured.

At this point, it doesn't really matter, now does it? Dough Brown deserves to be honored, no matter what.

very hard not to agree with this. While Walby probably should have got a nod, I can't fault the fans and the team for picking Dougie.

SPuDS, you don't base a decision like this on whether fans remember a face ort not. What if fans had voted for Fritz Hansen? How many fans know what he looks like? It's based on past play & performance of individual greats. I'm with a lot of people here. Brown was indeed a great player but if you put him heads up against Walby I think Walby wins out. Chris was a beast, an absolute nasty beast. And he won Grey Cups in 1984, 88 & 90. No one was better as an OT in the league for years, no one. Brown never won a Grey Cup as a player. Is that his fault? No, but it should have a bearing on whether he or Walby were honoured, IMO. Then again, neither did Milt Stegall win a Grey Cup but his individual stats as a receiver far out weigh the lack of championships because for a number of years he was THE dominant receiver in the CFL even with some of the trashy qbs he played with during his career like TJ Rubley. So again, IMHO... Stegall, due to circumstances, deserved to be honoured.

ok, 8.

Leo Lewis, Willard Reaves, Bud Grant, James Murphy

Was Bud Grant one of the choices in the poll?

Hopefully they will honour all Bomber greats in some way at the stadium.

ok, 8.

Leo Lewis, Willard Reaves, Bud Grant, James Murphy

Was Bud Grant one of the choices in the poll?

Hopefully they will honour all Bomber greats in some way at the stadium.

They said that other lesser gates will have a Bomber legends names attached to them.

ok, 8.

tumblr_inline_mjkw9sQHdX1qz4rgp.jpg

Not saying there aren't guys I'd put there before Brown, but Brown is definitely worthy of it.

ok, 8.

tumblr_inline_mjkw9sQHdX1qz4rgp.jpg

Not saying there aren't guys I'd put there before Brown, but Brown is definitely worthy of it.

Not to single you out on the subject but I think a man who won 4 Grey Cups in 10 years as Bomber head coach should be on one of the gates instead of Brown