Week of Stamps @ Bombers

JCon

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Being 38 I have not many memories of the 80's and early 90's but boy I sure took them for granted.    But even during the 90's I always thought this team could win any game because either Roberts or Stegall would or could just absolutely take over and dominate.    

It feels like right after they stopped playing that our offense has been so painfully weak since then.  We've had good defenses at different times but man it's annoying to go in every week and being thrilled if the qb can put up 250 yards... meanwhile a nobody like Evans is tossing for 300 and 400 yards no problem.    

We had a small stretch with Nichols before his injury where he was really good... but since then it's been craaaap. 

Maybe we need to find some Scottish players...

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Being 38 I have not many memories of the 80's and early 90's but boy I sure took them for granted.    But even during the 90's I always thought this team could win any game because either Roberts or Stegall would or could just absolutely take over and dominate.    

It feels like right after they stopped playing that our offense has been so painfully weak since then.  We've had good defenses at different times but man it's annoying to go in every week and being thrilled if the qb can put up 250 yards... meanwhile a nobody like Evans is tossing for 300 and 400 yards no problem.    

We had a small stretch with Nichols before his injury where he was really good... but since then it's been craaaap. 

The only time I can really remember in my time watching the bombers play was exceptional on offence was the first 8 or so games in 07 with Kevin Glenn. Other than Khari In 01 ( which I remember but still a little young) that’s really it.

I feel kind of bored and unsatisfied with Bomber football.. oh well... there’s always next year lol

1 hour ago, CodyT said:

The only time I can really remember in my time watching the bombers play was exceptional on offence was the first 8 or so games in 07 with Kevin Glenn. Other than Khari In 01 ( which I remember but still a little young) that’s really it.

I feel kind of bored and unsatisfied with Bomber football.. oh well... there’s always next year lol

Wow, it's not often I'm glad to be 64 but after what you just posted I feel fortunate to have been around long enough to see some helluva great teams in the past. 

6 hours ago, CodyT said:

Other than Khari In 01 ( which I remember but still a little young) that’s really it.

02 was probably better, khari had I think 3 of the first 4 games with 5 td passes. 

Oh for the days when we had some top receiving threats and a great running threat as well.

Yeah, well those Bomber teams from around '88 to '91 had a great defense. In fact the Bombers MAY have had the best defense of all time in the CFL during those years (our offense sucked between the Clements and Dunigan years, but we still managed 2 Grey Cups).

That's why I am so sad about this year. Our defense is good, our offense has some good players...weakness is at QB and with Nichols going down it is even weaker. Maybe we can still pull it off...

6 minutes ago, blueingreenland said:

That's why I am so sad about this year. Our defense is good, our offense has some good players...weakness is at QB and with Nichols going down it is even weaker. Maybe we can still pull it off...

A good team that is curiously inexplicable at times. 

12 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Lol....maybe he will.  When the bombers first attained collaros I thought, ah frig, how am I supposed to defend this when those melon head friends that I have start on me about it..... plus I thought really nothing else was available ? He never even took a snap in Toronto did he ?..... and today when I read your post it made me think of it again.  And now I think meh,  might as well run with it if he plays.  Its not like I will stop cheering for the team.  I was jus havin a chuckle about it with your post,  sorry if I offended.

Offended? He’ll no.  I get yelled at and sworn at everyday in my job. My skin is thick and it now takes a lot to piss me off these days. 

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Wow, it's not often I'm glad to be 64 but after what you just posted I feel fortunate to have been around long enough to see some helluva great teams in the past. 

Wonder why the bombers have trouble attracting a younger crowd... visit exhibit A

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Try being 64 & realizing I was 35 the last time this team won & some people around here are preaching patience.  I've been waiting half a lifetime for another championship. The way this team is going we'll have colonies on Mars before we win again. 

I am trying to figure out why we don't have colonies on Mars by now.  What are we waiting for?  Arnie just needs to turn on the machine, and they'll have an atmosphere in minutes...

23 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

He has one in Harris, he tries to ride him as hard as he can but it only goes so far. Lapo always relies on players being superb to make the offense work, he doesn't  elevate anyone on his own.

That is such a ridiculous comment. You say that LaPo did well only because he had great players in 2002 (I believe you said even you could have crafted a great offensive game plan with that talent). So when he does well (like 14 club records on offence in 2002) all the credit goes to the player, not him. But if a player does not do well, it's because LaPo has not "elevated" them, so he gets all the blame. Maybe, just maybe, the "talent" right now is not as earth shattering as some think.

But for the sake of argument, let's look at the talent LaPo has had in the past and now. In 2002, he took an MVP QB and that QB produced even better numbers than the year before and according to Milt Stegall should have won MOP that year too. He took an all-star receiver and got him to the greatest receiving season of that receiver's career and lifted him to MOP status and league records. He took a part-time running back and made him a star in the backfield, and the next year got him his first league rushing title. Also the 2 best receiving years of Roberts' career those 2 seasons.

He went to Saskatchewan and turned Darian Durant into an all-star and got them to the Grey Cup.

He came to Winnipeg and found a way in 2011 to keep Buck Pierce healthy long enough for Buck to have his most productive season ever and get to a Grey Cup. Like with Khari before him, once he lost his effective starting QB due to injury, the lesser talent at back-up hindered him.

Now that he is back, he has "elevated" Andrew Harris into bar none the best running back in the CFL. Harris had zero rushing titles and two 1,000 yard seasons before coming here, will get his 3rd consecutive 1,000 yard year (and second 1,300+ yard year), and his 3rd rushing title, on top of becoming the best receiving running back in CFL history in 2017. He took Matt Nichols and devised a system that minimized his weaknesses (average arm strength, low mobility) and fed off his strengths (passing accuracy, "game manager", low turnover risk) to create the most efficient QB in the CFL this year who had the team #1 in the CFL standings before he got hurt. But you expect the entire playbook to be thrown out to cater to a new QB who does little else but run the ball and hasn't shown he can pass very well rather than expect management to have as a back-up someone who can step into the existing system and execute it to relatively the same degree, like Calgary, Sask, and Hamilton did. And LaPo to a great extent has tweaked that playbook to incorporate more runs and option/pass from his QB. But having a QB who can't throw very well or get into his second or third progressions efficeiently does not seem to have gotten us very far.

So how about you tell us who has suffocated under LaPo only to have their obvious underdeveloped talents shine elsewhere? It is possible, but no one obvious springs to mind for me.

5 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Lot of players on offence  have come and gone under these coaches, and the only one that has 

thrived is harris and dressler.

the rest  can’t all have been a average or worse.

So who is above average in your mind but failing solely due to the system? Better yet, who has proven it was the system by leaving and producing better results elsewhere?

Flanders, wolktarski, Bailey, Augustine, lucky, this season. Lucky has one play they use for him.

peterman.

basically anyone other than the two I mentioned have done little. Can’t just be lousy players.

not sure thriving elsewhere matters, not too many of those from any team.

Edited by Mark F

17 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Flanders

Let's take Flanders. Lapo was criticized for not getting him more involved. Well, what has he done since?

Lapo was criticized for not getting Matthews more involved. And, where is he now?

Bowman? What did he do after he left? 

Dom Davis. Look at him now!

Simonise. 

Lankford. 

Who stands out? 

27 minutes ago, JCon said:

Let's take Flanders. Lapo was criticized for not getting him more involved. Well, what has he done since?

Lapo was criticized for not getting Matthews more involved. And, where is he now?

Bowman? What did he do after he left? 

Dom Davis. Look at him now!

Simonise. 

Lankford. 

Who stands out? 

So everyone that’s been through here just sucks?

i don’t think so.

lankford actually been ok returner in bc

we saw what flanderssssss could do when given a chance

mathewd scored two td against us. For Montreal.

Edited by Mark F