Week of Stamps @ Bombers

JCon

13 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I think we should have ZC as QB and Strevs at full back... I think that could be plenty fun.

But save it for a second half surprise, so the opponents don't get a chance to draw anything up to counter it. If we can never do competent second half adjustments... just throw the whole 1st half concept out the window and go with something completely different in the 2nd half.

I can see it now... As the snow falls on the field on a cold November day in Calgary, McGuire sets in to begin the second half. The score 21-0, with the Bombers creating less than a 100 yards of offence in the first half. But not to worry, the injured threesome of Nichols, Collaros, and Streveler spent the halftime break giving McGuire advice. Adams is warming up on the sideline in case McGuire goes two and out again. 

Edited by JCon

The CFL is in a sad state of QB'ing. 

Mitchell and Rielly are the only legitimately good QBs left in the league and Rielly is in his twilight. 

Fajardo, Nichols, Dane, Masoli, Harris, Streveler, Collaros are all just meh. Maybe Adams could be considered upper-echelon, but he really shouldn't be.

MBT and Davis are straight awful.

The CFL needs new blood at the position.

Edited by Dr Zaius

44 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

The CFL is in a sad state of QB'ing. 

Mitchell and Rielly are the only legitimately good QBs left in the league and Rielly is in his twilight. 

Fajardo, Nichols, Dane, Masoli, Harris, Streveler, Collaros are all just meh. Maybe Adams could be considered upper-echelon, but he really shouldn't be.

MBT and Davis are straight awful.

The CFL needs new blood at the position.

What do you think Fajardo, Evans, Arbuckle, Streveler, MBT and Adams are? Even Harris and Masoli, who are more established, have growing to do and will be better. Given the lack of experience and young age of so many QBs now (remember, all pressed into emergency duty due to injury) I'd say they for the most part have acquitted themselves well.

This argument about lousy QBing comes up every so often when the old guard goes down. Brock, Moon, Wilkinson, Holloway all leave and then it's "there are no good QBs other than Clements - Dunigan, Ham and Allen are too raw, Dewalt is a flash in the pan", then they mature into great QBs, some get injured and replaced by rookies, and then McManus is no good, Calvillo is no good, Khari Jones is a third stringer, Kevin Glenn is below average, once Flutie (then Garcia, Dickenson, Burris, Mitchell, etc.) is gone there will be no one in Calgary, other than Ricky Ray there is no one good, then Ray is no good, Lulay is washed up, Pierce is a waste, ad nauseum.

I'd say the fact that we had back-ups step up in every single CFL city this year, and right now 3 of those back-ups (Evans, Fajardo, and Adams) are the new unquestioned starters going forward, with a 4th (Arbuckle) being able to likely start on any team needing help, and 2 more (Streveler and MBT) being young enough and with enough upside that they are worth keeping around to see if they can morph into a #1, that the league is in OK shape. Add the remaining old guard of top tier Reilly, Mitchell, Masoli, and - if they can overcome their health issues - a competant middle tier of Nichols and Collaros as starters, and that is a decent load of talent.

And who knows if one-time "next big things" Jennings and Franklin can re-discover magic like Calvillo did after starting big in Vegas and then crashing and burning in Hamilton?

I guess if I was McGuire I would certainly consider not signing next season. Has been given a chance nor will he. Something I can’t understand....he beats out last years back up to Streveler as back up yet not enough confidence from coaches to play him when his turn comes up. Instead we look for anyone but him. Great way to develop QBs but then again not our strong point is it.

55 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

There are some good young qbs that will be free agents that won't er-sign with their current teams in February but we know the Bombers won't sign one which is both disappointing & frustrating. Nope, just same old, same old. 

I lean towards that too unfortunately.  Let's hope Bomber management proves us wrong with the signing of Masoli or Arbuckle.

Just now, B-F-F-C said:

Just you wait and see.  He'll make Streveler look like the2nd coming of Brian Brohm. 

Lol....maybe he will.  When the bombers first attained collaros I thought, ah frig, how am I supposed to defend this when those melon head friends that I have start on me about it..... plus I thought really nothing else was available ? He never even took a snap in Toronto did he ?..... and today when I read your post it made me think of it again.  And now I think meh,  might as well run with it if he plays.  Its not like I will stop cheering for the team.  I was jus havin a chuckle about it with your post,  sorry if I offended.

Hard not to be disappointed (again) about our season.

What once looked so promising...

Were now excited to see Zach Collaros at qb.. nothing against the guy, but I mean really. I started posting on the bombers websites when I was 14..

Im 27 now and we haven’t even really come close aside from maybe 07.

I’m not even angry anymore, just so tired of the same ol’ storyline. 

Edited by CodyT

13 minutes ago, CodyT said:

Hard not to be disappointed (again) about our season.

What once looked so promising...

Were now excited to see Zach Collaros at qb.. nothing against the guy, but I mean really. I started posting on the bombers websites when I was 14..

Im 27 now and we haven’t even really come close aside from maybe 07.

I’m not even angry anymore, just so tired of the same ol’ storyline. 

Try being 64 & realizing I was 35 the last time this team won & some people around here are preaching patience.  I've been waiting half a lifetime for another championship. The way this team is going we'll have colonies on Mars before we win again. 

3 hours ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

I guess if I was McGuire I would certainly consider not signing next season. Has been given a chance nor will he. Something I can’t understand....he beats out last years back up to Streveler as back up yet not enough confidence from coaches to play him when his turn comes up. Instead we look for anyone but him. Great way to develop QBs but then again not our strong point is it.

Not signing what? He's under contract for next year. 

Sorry, but if you're so fragile that you think you deserve a chance, late in the season, when you started the preseason as fourth or fifth on the depth chart, then you're probably in the wrong business. The team took a chance on you and let another, more experienced player walk. QB's understand it takes time to develop,especially as a raw rookie in an unfamiliar system. Not sure why fans don't. 

11 minutes ago, CodyT said:

It’s honestly just annoying. Like is so ******* pathetic. Not once in nearly 30 years in an 8-9 team league. It’s embarrassing 

Being 38 I have not many memories of the 80's and early 90's but boy I sure took them for granted.    But even during the 90's I always thought this team could win any game because either Roberts or Stegall would or could just absolutely take over and dominate.    

It feels like right after they stopped playing that our offense has been so painfully weak since then.  We've had good defenses at different times but man it's annoying to go in every week and being thrilled if the qb can put up 250 yards... meanwhile a nobody like Evans is tossing for 300 and 400 yards no problem.    

We had a small stretch with Nichols before his injury where he was really good... but since then it's been craaaap.