Fighting stomach cancer, Hawerchuk wants ‘to live to tell the story'

JCon

The sad part is it will be Arizona that retires his number & not us. A city he never played for & the fans could care less about. Which is why the history of the Jets should belong to us. Not Arizona. Their history started in 1996. Mark Chipman needs to work out a deal with the NHL to give us all of our history back, including the old colours & logos.  

24 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The sad part is it will be Arizona that retires his number & not us. A city he never played for & the fans could care less about. Which is why the history of the Jets should belong to us. Not Arizona. Their history started in 1996. Mark Chipman needs to work out a deal with the NHL to give us all of our history back, including the old colours & logos.  

Jets could retire his number anytime. He's in the Jets HOF. He is also in the Coyotes ring of honour, FWIW. 

19 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Jets v2 reuse the colours and logos all the time when they honour players so...

AZ has him in their ring of honour but ex WHL/NHL(Hull/Steen) retired numbers are not really retired there.

8 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Jets can use the old logos for special occasions but not if they wanted to full time. Our true history belongs to Arizona. We are not free to use it any way we want. 

Wrong. Dead wrong.

TNSE purchased all of the old logos years ago: https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/true-north-buys-old-jets-logo-131123723.html

True North Sports & Entertainment has bought the trademarks for the original team's logos from the 1970s, '80s and '90s...

Scott Brown, director of communications for the Jets, confirmed the team obtained the trademarks for the old logos from the NHL this past summer. The league had owned them since the team moved to Phoenix in 1996 and became the Coyotes.

TNSE can use any of the 1.0 logos, colours, and trademarks whenever it wants. The 2016 Heritage Classic, the Jets Hall of Fame induction ceremonies the last few years, and the 2019 Heritage Classic are all plainly obvious examples of this fact.

The statistical history of 1.0 belongs to the original franchise, now located in Arizona. I don't think there's a way to "reacquire" that history per se but TNSE has mentioned it all whenever it's celebrated 1.0 history or those players.

For all intents and purpose, the Jets 1.0 belong here and TNSE made sure to cover that base when it successfully relocated a team here nearly a decade ago.

Edited by blue_gold_84

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Hawerchuk's number has been officially retired by both the 'Yotes and the Jets 2.0....

Was it retired? I couldn't remember. I know he's in their hall and the banner hangs high but I couldn't remember if the number had been retired. 

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

Was it retired? I couldn't remember. I know he's in their hall and the banner hangs high but I couldn't remember if the number had been retired. 

I thought I read that yesterday in one of the many pieces I read.....but it might just be that he was inducted into the Jets HOF (by 2.0 Jets) and had the banner raised. I just assume that "retiring" the number goes along with that...

42 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Wrong. Dead wrong.

TNSE purchased all of the old logos years ago: https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/true-north-buys-old-jets-logo-131123723.html

TNSE can use any of the 1.0 logos, colours, and trademarks whenever it wants. The 2016 Heritage Classic, the Jets Hall of Fame induction ceremonies the last few years, and the 2019 Heritage Classic are all plainly obvious examples of this fact.

The statistical history of 1.0 belongs to the original franchise, now located in Arizona. I don't think there's a way to "reacquire" that history per se but TNSE has mentioned it all whenever it's celebrated 1.0 history or those players.

For all intents and purpose, the Jets 1.0 belong here and TNSE made sure to cover that base when it successfully relocated a team here nearly a decade ago.

When was this? Living in Calgary we don't get news like this. 

I met Dale Once, when he first came to the Jets. For some reason he was at a friend’s Family home, I vaguely recall he was living there, temporarily. 

He was just a kid, I don’t know, maybe eighteen .....

He was friendly, down to earth, polite, and definitely left me with the impression of him being a good person.

Shawn Lackie used to work in communications for the league, but he’s been in real estate for the last 16 years.
About a dozen years ago he recalls listing a home in Oshawa, Ont. that he found out was the home Hawerchuk grew up in.

In chatting with one of the long-time neighbours, Lackie heard an interesting story.

“He told me that in 2001 when Dale was named to the Hockey Hall of Fame Dale came back to the neighbourhood and personally delivered invitations to the people that were still living in that area,” Lackie told me. “It was his way of saying thanks to the neighbours that supported his hockey dreams from a very early age. Now how classy is that?”
https://winnipegsun.com/sports/football/friesen-some-good-ideas-and-some-lousy-ones-for-the-cfl?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter