Bench Streveler Again

TrueBlue4ever

3 minutes ago, White Out said:

I have to say, and apologies if this sounds snooty, but how in gods name isn't the general consensus here Arbuckle/Evans/Masoli? Walters has to back up a truck of cash and get one of these QB's or we're in the wilderness.

There are three teams looking for QBs this off-season and maybe only two if the Argos go back to Collaros. Masoli, Nichols, Streveler, Arbuckle are not going to have a huge market to choose from if they want to start. 

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

There are three teams looking for QBs this off-season and maybe only two if the Argos go back to Collaros. Masoli, Nichols, Streveler, Arbuckle are not going to have a huge market to choose from if they want to start. 

Rank those 5 QBs. 

Edited by White Out

16 minutes ago, White Out said:

Rank those 5 QBs. 

That's tough to do. Based on some kind of ratio I only have in my own brain, in order: Masoli, Arbuckle, Nichols, Streveler, Collaros. Based on a completely arbitrary, in my head ratio of ability/expected contract/value of contract/age/injury history/potential/peak tier (i.e. I think Nichols has peaked as a mid or low mid tier; Arbuckle could be higher than that; Collaros was (pre multiple concussions) higher than that. 

This is why GM's get paid well, and get canned when they mess up. Not easy. 

Edited by M.Silverback

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I can definitely see that too. But I can see Masoli really wanting to come back to Hamilton, as that's where all his success has been. And the team obviously knows him and his capabilities. If TO or OTT or someone else is willing to give up some solid assets for Evans, you'd be crazy to not look at it. We've seen guys come in and light it up for a year and then disappear, Masoli has been performing well for a few years now. Argument could be made you're taking a chance with Evans as he could regress.

I'm also not sure Masoli will be able to demand that much more of a raise...So they might be able to get him signed and have both to a similar amount as this year. Lots of interesting scenarios this off season.

Masoli is a free agent come February. No team will be giving up any assets for him. He's the odd man out. He'll find a soft landing spot that will pay him well. But I doubt that it will be Hamilton. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

As an aside, would they put out 15,000  Knucklesheads when Bob Irving retires?

Ha! We don't like Bob?! He's great on radio play by play. Plus, his grumpy old man responses to twitter trolls kill me. Someone told him he needs a nap one time, he responded with "I like naps", Funny and likely true!

9 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Masoli is a free agent come February. No team will be giving up any assets for him. He's the odd man out. He'll find a soft landing spot that will pay him well. But I doubt that it will be Hamilton. 

Sorry I meant, if hamilton resigns Masoli, teams could be lining up to get Evans. Especially at his current pay scale.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Minimum offer for Masoli will be $500,000 x exchange, so something in the neighbourhood of $650,000 CDN.  I doubt he gets that, and then signs with Houston in the XFL to play the Run and Shoot with June Jones.

Will he be healthy by January (pre-season camp)? 

Arbuckle - Young with tons of upside. Looked great in Calgary's offence. Question is, will he look as good in another teams offence.

Streveler - Young with a bunch of upside. Needs to learn to read defences quicker. 

Masoli - Expensive. Coming off a non-contact injury. 

Nichols - Average at best. Coming off of an injury to his throwing shoulder.

Colaros - Was good 4 years ago. Huge concussion issues.

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

I thought there was something like a $250,000 limit. Would XFL teams pay unknown CFL qbs almost 700 grand? I guess they could. But they won't be around long.

Masoli might get some attention but I can't see them paying him $500k-USD. Ex-Duck under Kelly who got himself arrested a few times?  I don't think they would pay Streveler that kind of coin but they might pay him $300k-USD. 

20 minutes ago, JCon said:

Masoli might get some attention but I can't see them paying him $500k-USD. Ex-Duck under Kelly who got himself arrested a few times?  I don't think they would pay Streveler that kind of coin but they might pay him $300k-USD. 

I can't see any QB getting that much in the XFL. There's an article about a player named Corey Vereen who has dropped out of the XFL because he discovered the base salary is $29,000. The XFL had said the average salary would be $55,000. Here is a statement from the player's agent:

On Friday October 11, 2019, the XFL league office made players and agents aware of the player compensation and payroll for the new league. The salary schedule did not come close to matching what was talked about rampantly throughout the XFL combine workouts and was discussed online by many different sources. The base salary is $27,040 with per game active bonuses of $1,685 and weekly win bonuses of $2,222.

The XFL said some players, like QBs, would make more but it's hard to believe it would 15 times more.

The quote came from The Sporting News: https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nfl/news/xfl-player-drops-out-of-league-after-finding-out-base-salary-is-only-27000/1env8oobiog1d1twdz2icm574p

Edited by Jacquie