Bench Streveler Again

TrueBlue4ever

Just now, 17to85 said:

I'd be shocked if collaros lasts a full game for this team. Our QBs are asked to stand in and take shots, that6bad for a soft headed guy like collaros. Seriously does lapo ever have a qb he doesn't get hurt?

They're not asked to take shots, they just don't get rid of the ball soon enough. 

14 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I'd be shocked if collaros lasts a full game for this team. Our QBs are asked to stand in and take shots, that6bad for a soft headed guy like collaros. Seriously does lapo ever have a qb he doesn't get hurt?

To be fair, there isnt a OC in the league this year that has been able to keep their qb healthy.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Are you suggesting Nichols was taking more shots than the average QB in the CFL.  I really don't see it that way. 

22 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

Are you suggesting Nichols was taking more shots than the average QB in the CFL.  I really don't see it that way. 

Yeah if any thing our qbs are put in the safest position in the cfl. Short throws, good OL, great blocking Rb, lots of wrinkles and PA to keep the D honest. If any thing BC and mike reilly have lived in the danger zone the most and he will have played the most games out of any qb that was the starter out of TC. 

On 2019-10-22 at 1:18 PM, JCon said:

They're not asked to take shots, they just don't get rid of the ball soon enough. 

Quick decisiveness, reading, and release are some thing you can work to improve but not some thing you can gain. You gotta prioritize that in scouting. 

Previously his decision making process and reading were good. Though he seemed to be playing rattled when he struggled this year. Tucking the ball early, choppy footwork, not stepping up in the pocket etc. In the past when he struggled his throwing motion would elongate into a wind up.

Both will lead to taking more shots. But I dont think hes ever gotten close to fully recovering from last years injury. Previously he was fully able to roll out as needed, and even broke the occasional decent run. This year his mobility looked worse then late danny mac or kerwin bell. 

To me he looks this year like collaros looked when he went to ssk. 

35 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Quick decisiveness, reading, and release are some thing you can work to improve but not some thing you can gain. You gotta prioritize that in scouting. 

Previously his decision making process and reading were good. Though he seemed to be playing rattled when he struggled this year. Tucking the ball early, choppy footwork, not stepping up in the pocket etc. In the past when he struggled his throwing motion would elongate into a wind up.

Both will lead to taking more shots. But I dont think hes ever gotten close to fully recovering from last years injury. Previously he was fully able to roll out as needed, and even broke the occasional decent run. This year his mobility looked worse then late danny mac or kerwin bell. 

To me he looks this year like collaros looked when he went to ssk. 

Not clear which QB you're talking about above but if it is Nichols, 100% agree.  Also, decisiveness, reading and release can be coached up. And schemed. Why does Lapo have Streveler launching from a 3-step drop? Let the kid sprint out and throw from different launch points, or run from there. Would love to see Streveler working with a decent QB coach. Hope that happens here next year and not elsewhere.

Edited by Doublezero

5 hours ago, Doublezero said:

Not clear which QB you're talking about above but if it is Nichols, 100% agree.  Also, decisiveness, reading and release can be coached up. And schemed. Why does Lapo have Streveler launching from a 3-step drop? Let the kid sprint out and throw from different launch points, or run from there. Would love to see Streveler working with a decent QB coach. Hope that happens here next year and not elsewhere.

I think our system is as qb pressure friendly as it gets. 

They can be improved, but you wont take a guy whose slow and make quick release and quick read his strength. Not at the pro level. By then these guys have seen an insane amount of reps. 

Defenses play too tight for 1 step drop stuff, 3 step drop is the common rhythm for timing plays. 5 and 7 are deeper routes which we dont run much. 

I agree with the sprint out. We could do soo much more with strevelers running. Drag routes from the back side, play action sprint out to the wide side. Run the QB draw on a clear out deep routes play etc. Ive been diying to see good shovel pass play. He doesnt make the best decisions in RPO/ option run which isnt surprising its very nuanced and he has no experience in it. So give him simple shovel options a couple passing options with the grain and clear outs. 

I dont think buck is the issue, but he may or may not be the right guy as well. 

On 2019-10-22 at 1:30 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

Bo Levi stood in the pocket all last game. Should we reflexively rip his offensive coordinator for trying to get him hurt too?

Bo Levi knows his offense cold & can read defenses faster than Streveler so standing in the pocket works for him.... until it doesn't & he gets hurt.

Masoli - hurt himself not in the pocket 

Nichols - again somewhat self inflicted on a simple tackle 

I dunno.. Seems to me QBs got hurt this year either due to the turf monster or taking simple tackles where they landed weird like Nichols.. Basic tackle but bad result. Has 1 been hurt cuz of taking some vicious illegal tackle or is it mainly self inflicted.  

Not sliding, turf monsters etc. 

Edited by Goalie

On 2019-10-22 at 3:53 PM, Mr Dee said:

Eliminate..
The PI penalty on the play where BLM is sacked, forcing them to kick, instead, they end up scoring a TD because of that penalty, and we lose.

One play away all game long..but we didn’t do it.

Absolutely. Also the hit by Jeffcoat that erased a sack and gave them a first down was a killer for us late in the game. As bad as the offence was, these 2 plays by the defence really hurt us.

The O has been pretty poor all year even with Nichols.. Prob averaged around 300 to 350 max total yards per game so the O not being great isnt new. The D collapsing tho when it matters most is troubling.. Im telling u right now.  If that's week 5.. We win cuz our D doesnt give up 10 explosion plays a game. The 0 has surprisingly remained somewhat consistent in terms of total yards etc.. The D tho has gotten worse. 

And it's not play calls like some want you to believe, its flat out just getting beat, missed tackles or just dumb penalties that extend drives. 

Im starting to think the talent level on the D isnt as great as we thought. 

With the O, its been Harris or bust all year long. I mean, our receivers are either not good enough or not being used to their strengths.. 

When i look at the O i see poor play calling, predictable.. 

On D, i see a lack of execution on the field.. Guys just flat out getting beat. 

Edited by Goalie