Bench Streveler Again

TrueBlue4ever

11 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

It's time for the Streveler experiment to be put on hiatus and McGuire and/or Collaros should start the last game against Calgary.

Well he probably won't play but not a benching but simply because he's injured and chances are the game won't mean a lot in the final standings and with the bye week in the final week of the season it gives that extra time for the guy to heal for the playoffs. 

Honestly I don't think Streveler was as bad as people think he was. Yes the int was not a good throw, but Bo Levi MItchell threw a pick and could have thrown another if Fenner had expected the ball to be that badly thrown, it happens in football. 

The problems with the offense are the same things they have been forever. Lapo has built an offense that relies on Harris and Streveler breaking tackles and dragging guys for extra yards or for Whitehead or Demski to out run guys on short passes and pick up yards after the catch. We don't really have an effective downfield passing game. They're slow and methodical on offense when it works and grind games out. It's fine when you have a lead or are early in a game with time to play that way, but when we need to score quickly this team has nothing. 

1 minute ago, Mr Dee said:

I don’t like the word bench.

I do like the idea of playing McGuire. This game will mean virtually nothing, so let’s see what we have with a couple of changes. Not too many, because we have to give McGuire some weapons, but enough to rest some personnel.

Guaranteed, if we put McGuire out there, Lapo gives the ball to Harris 35 times. McGuire will only be asked to make throws to receivers behind the line of scrimmage. May as well sit Adams too, as he'll never see the ball. 

Yeah, despite having the OC place a choke hold on game planning, we’ll still get a glimpse (I hope) of what this guy has..and I believe he has something. Now’s the time to find out. It may be the only good result  of having finished so poorly.

Edited by Mr Dee

I'll tell you one thing and that's IF Streveler does start and he doesn't last past a series of downs ,I'm going to be one pi$$ed off fan...This is a nothing game...it's between riders and stumps to see who takes the top rung...We're playing out the string and it's time to test McGuire and see IF Collaros has anything left... After this game ,the bye week will give us some time to figure something out (although some say if we haven't figured anything out by now....welll)..  Circumstances have changed a bit with the addition of Collaros...We made a deal for him....let's see what he's got  ..  AND McGuire

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Guaranteed, if we put McGuire out there, Lapo gives the ball to Harris 35 times. McGuire will only be asked to make throws to receivers behind the line of scrimmage. May as well sit Adams too, as he'll never see the ball. 

I actually think McGuire is a guy who likes to heave it deep. Seem to remember him doing it a lot in preseason and his first try in calgary he went down field (and I really thought Lucky Whitehead held up on the route partway through and caused it to be over thrown. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

I actually think McGuire is a guy who likes to heave it deep. Seem to remember him doing it a lot in preseason and his first try in calgary he went down field (and I really thought Lucky Whitehead held up on the route partway through and caused it to be over thrown. 

I have no doubt he does and I remember those plays too. Even in warm-ups, he throws a nice deep ball.

However, he won't be allowed to throw the ball downfield. 

9 minutes ago, JCon said:

I have no doubt he does and I remember those plays too. Even in warm-ups, he throws a nice deep ball.

However, he won't be allowed to throw the ball downfield. 

No he will be allowed, until the first turn over, then it'll be nothing but hand offs. 

5 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Or he will complete a very high percentage of them,  and then the Matty fans/Big Chris haters will want him to start the playoff game. 

Hmmm. I'm not a Chris hater but I do not think he gives us the best chance in the playoffs.... doesn't matter what I think though, O Shea will do or die with him. (I do think O Shea should rest Streveler on Friday).