GDT: Bombers at Stamps

Noeller

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Streveler doesn't have the accuracy or consistency to make throws like BLM does. He can't hit receivers in stride consistently. He can't put the ball into small places accurately.

48 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm talking qb skill level throwing wise only between Nichols & Streveler. There's no comparison between the 2. Nichols is far superior throwing the ball & he isn't even Top 5. That's how bad Streveler is.

Disputable...

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm talking qb skill level throwing wise only between Nichols & Streveler. There's no comparison between the 2. Nichols is far superior throwing the ball & he isn't even Top 5. That's how bad Streveler is.

You were responding to the question: why do our receivers not catch the ball in stride? My point is, the same thing happens with Nichols at QB - it appears to be the scheme Lapo runs. 

Okay, here is one of the things I find so maddening. Calgary has the ball. We send a 3-man rush which Calgary picks up easily. They send out a handfull of receivers. All receivers are fully and completely wide open. Bo just needs to pick one. I assume we are playing some kind of zone. What kind of defense is this and why is it so pathetic?

wide-open.gif

FWIW: Over at 3downation, John Hodge dumped all over O'Shea for not only leaving an obviously injured Streveler in the game but also for some strange coaching decisions during yesterday's game, echoing what almost all of us here have said. I suspect that O'Shea is now quietly checking out U-Haul rates.

Edited by Tracker

19 minutes ago, White Out said:

The secret is out. O'Shea is, was, and will always be in over his head as a head coach in the cfl. 

He was a dumb hire. 

Hindsight is always perfect, but it was a risk, hiring a rookie head coach and a rookie GM at the same time. 

Dude was a special teams coordinator. For a short period of time. That's his coaching resume.

I got that there's a small faction of people, or maybe a large faction, that seemed to like O'Shea and God knows why, but his record is pretty mediocre and the team is going backwards now.

You think that he would learn, pick up nuggets, and improve his style and Effectiveness. But his deployment, and frankly, abuse of streveler last game leaves me little in the way of hope. The mindlessness of putting out a hobbled run only qb when you need yards fast is hard to wrap my mind around. 

Also, I was only three rows behind the bomber bench, and streveler absolutely looked hobbled. The idea that he was going out no matter what and O'Shea was just getting out of the way it's beyond ridiculous. Who runs this football club? A second-year rookie, or our esteemed head coach? Trick question don't bother answering.

Edited by White Out

29 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Bad coaches don’t continuously win 10+ games for four years in a row. 

Tim Burke was a “bad” coach, MOS is nothing of the sort. 

We'll never win a thing with O'Shea. But it's the safe choice. Like, there are absolutely no other coaches that could possibly do better. 

4 hours ago, bb1 said:

And yet the yardage is not much different??

Actually no. Streveler is averaging 120 yards per game passing while Nichols averaged 215 yards per game before his injury. Over 18 games that's 1,710 yards more. A significant amount IMO. Our passing game was bad enough with Nichols but has collapsed with Streveler at the helm. 

3 hours ago, J5V said:

Okay, here is one of the things I find so maddening. Calgary has the ball. We send a 3-man rush which Calgary picks up easily. They send out a handfull of receivers. All receivers are fully and completely wide open. Bo just needs to pick one. I assume we are playing some kind of zone. What kind of defense is this and why is it so pathetic?

wide-open.gif

This makes me sad ....  it's also envious seeing a team attack 30 yards down the field.....

Watching this gif in a loop ,   he has 2 guys wide open to dump off.... and 2 guys open down the field.....  I dream of this. 

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Actually no. Streveler is averaging 120 yards per game passing while Nichols averaged 215 yards per game before his injury. Over 18 games that's 1,710 yards more. A significant amount IMO. Our passing game was bad enough with Nichols but has collapsed with Streveler at the helm. 

Well the last 3 or 4 games Nichols played he was around 250 which is a better comparison imo. Its moot because while Strev is probably less accurate he brings a completely different dimension to the game that Nichols will never bring. Add to that he is only 24 and the fact that he still may develop into a potential star in our league,while Nichols is a good Qb his ceiling is already set. Young Qbs you have to be patient. I don't see us bringing back Nichols next year not as a starter...

Edited by bb1

3 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Well the last 3 or 4 games Nichols played he was around 250 which is a better comparison imo. Its moot because while Strev is probably less accurate he brings a completely different dimension to the game that Nichols will never bring. Add to that he is only 24 and the fact that he still may develop into a potential star in our league,while Nichols is a good Qb he ceiling is already set. Young Qbs you have to be patient.

I'd have patience if I felt Streveler had a realistic chance of developing into a so called star but I don't.  Take away his ability to run & there's nothing there. Now, he's getting physically beat up as the number of games pile up & his effectiveness is even less. What gets me excited about a young qb isn't his running ability or toughness but poise in the pocket. as well as being able to make every throw needed. To quickly recognize defenses & coverages & being able to deliver the ball to open receivers. Like we saw with Ricky Ray as a rookie or a young Henry Burris, Trevor Harris & Mike Reilly.  And are seeing with Dane Evans. Guys that you know will be great players with more playing time & you can see their level of performance improve over the season along with their level of understanding. That's what gets me excited about young qbs. Right now, I see Chris Streveler as another version of  Justin Goltz playing for us now. Goltz, like Streveler was a great short yardage qb but was unable to be a starter. 

7 hours ago, Brandon said:

This makes me sad ....  it's also envious seeing a team attack 30 yards down the field.....

Watching this gif in a loop ,   he has 2 guys wide open to dump off.... and 2 guys open down the field.....  I dream of this. 

The two short guys weren't going to be open for long. It was 2nd and long and they both had a Bomber above them around the first down marker.  If they got the ball, they wouldn't have gotten a first without breaking a tackle. Those would be the kind of throws people get mad at Lapo for.

I have no explanation for how wide open the actual target was, though.