GDT: Bombers at Stamps

Noeller

Streveler is a bad passing QB.

Nichols is a mediocre (at best) passing QB.

Neither will win you a Grey Cup as a starter. Especially with a passive, play it safe coaching staff on both sides of the ball.

Does anyone seriously think BLM would throw for 200 yards a game or less over and over again in our offense? Theres receivers running downfield on every play, we just rarely throw it to then.

I dont like Lapo either, but fact of the matter is we havent exactly got the cream of the crop QB stable. 

11 hours ago, J5V said:

I  hope I get to see this young man play for an intelligent, creative OC that recognizes what he can do and isn't afraid to throw the ball downfield. 

Before the game Dave Dickenson, an excellent former CFL QB and MVP, said he did not believe Streveler's bruising running style is sustainable and that the Stamps planned to hit him hard - and they did. Everyone could see the effect that the pounding took on Strev - except, apparently, OShea and Lapo. If there is one thing that is consistent about the Lapo/Oshea regime in Winnipeg it is that they break quarterbacks. Winnipeg is where quarterbacks come to die.  This has been a perennial problem here - mismanagement of the QB position. Edit: I want to add Pierce to this mismanagement problem. I shuddered when he was made QB coach. He started 67 games in the CFL at QB and threw 76 TDs and 63 ints - yet he could be OC next year.

Edited by Doublezero

11 hours ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Streveler is a warrior out there, no doubt about it.  However, it is frustrating watching a QB who is, for the most part, incapable of throwing it down the field with any accuracy on a consistent basis.  Less than 150 yards passing...you simply can't win with that performance which is what Streveler provides week in and week out. 

2 more picks by Strev so he now has 16 ints this season.  Based on his passing attempts, he throws a pick every 14 attempts...you can't win with that type of quarterbacking.

Looking at the final numbers, Strev had more rushing attempts than Harris which is inexcusable.  

And it's not Streveler's job ( for the most part ) to be a running back. I still feel he's a dynamite back-up qb, 

11 hours ago, White Out said:

There's a lot about this team right now that's inexcusable. McGuire actually showed something granted it was only a couple of days oh, but he has great mechanics and looks like he can stretch the field. 

Our defense plays a butter soft zone, Bighill has gone from invisible to. Ring a liability. Jefferson is invisible and a non factor. 

Our best hope is to play sask in the semi, steal a win, and hope for the best in the west final. But at this point we need a miracle to win the championship. 

It's simple stunning how fast we fell apart. 

It is absolutely stunning.....we all are outsiders looking in, but we start so strong,, and then the other team makes some changes to their plan, and we fall apart. Time and time again. I just don't see us making in-game adjustments.

Can we steal the game in Riderville? I don't believe we would steal it, I really believe we are the better team. 

So everyone is heaping the blame on Streveler again I see? 

The guy can play, yes he's young and makes some mistakes ( I didn't like the decision on the INT, however that play was never going to work no matter what Streveler did. Stamps had everybody over there, the dump to the RB wasn't available, the receivers were blanketed, best option would have been to run for a short gain) 

Lots of times when he did try to throw intermediate he had to put the ball super low for Lawler or Bailey to go down and get because the Stamps dbs were all over the receivers. 

This team just doesn't surprise people and it makes it hard to be a quarterback on this team. I have said it before, Lapo runs an offense that relies on Harris breaking tackles, and boy did he do that, but it still wasn't enough. 

D has holes all over it too but that's another issue. 

Everyone getting hot and bothered by 2 mcguire passes ignores that the receiver didn't catch anything he threw, that's a problem all of our qbs have. We don't put guys in positions to succeed on offense at all. Lapo is the biggest thing holding this team back.

BLM was really on his passing game. Aside from the obvious open receivers, he put the ball where it had to be several times with deadly accuracy. That includes that TD pass that Rios was covering. Rios played that well but you can throw that ball a dozen times and not come close to a reception. Except tonight.
Overall LaPo called a good game but some of his plays (ex. Screens) need to be chucked. Horrible designs. And so predictable. 
This game was like two big boys going at it, with the hometown favourite prevailing in the end. Smash mouth football with two good teams. But our D looked susceptible. That has to be fixed over the next game and bye week.
Streveler was used..finally, and it paid off, but there is no way he should have gone back in to try and win the game. McGuire, the better passer, should have finished the game.
Speaking of McGuire, he should start the next game, and I’m not kidding. Streveler is beat up and needs the rest. McGuire can finally have some game time in a game that essentially means nothing.  We’re finishing 3rd so let’s see what we have at QB.

Sent from my iPad

I will tell you this: is everyone on this team had the heart and will that Streveler and Harris have (Including the coordinators) they'd probably never lose a game. 

Just can not see Streveler ever succeeding with a guy like Lapo running the offense for him. He is too much a competitor to play in that passive bullcrap game Lapo loves. He needs someone like khari who will give him the green light to be aggressive and force the issue. That's just the kind of guy Streveler is. play it safe isn't his thing. 

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I will tell you this: is everyone on this team had the heart and will that Streveler and Harris have (Including the coordinators) they'd probably never lose a game. 

Just can not see Streveler ever succeeding with a guy like Lapo running the offense for him. He is too much a competitor to play in that passive bullcrap game Lapo loves. He needs someone like khari who will give him the green light to be aggressive and force the issue. That's just the kind of guy Streveler is. play it safe isn't his thing. 

I’m a huge streveler fan but there’s a huge concern about his arm strength - I haven’t seen a long accurate throw from him yet - it’s an issue now

i know he was hurt but that last throw was just sad to watch

10 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Heart is a great attribute to have but it must also be accompanied by skill and talent. 

1 minute ago, AKAChip said:

Talent is not something Streveler is lacking either. 

Oh I'm sure he can probably tap dance or sing but you need skill to be effective as a QB in the CFL.  Maybe in the NCAA you can win some games with 200+ team rushing games but in the CFL you have to throw the ball downfield.   

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You can't compare Streveler to Mitchell as it isn't even close. I've seen enough of Streveler to know things aren't going to change. He isn't improving throwing the ball. He's played enough now for me to see it ain't happening for the guy. In 13 games, he's thrown for 1,564 yards. That is 120 yards per game & stretched out over 18 games that amounts to 2,166 yards, 11 TDS & 16 INTS  in a league where qbs routinely throw for 5,000. We can't win with those passing stats. 

Hypothetically, if you put Streveler in Mitchell’s spot in that Calgary offence, do you not think he could hit those wide open receivers that Mitchell had?......Food for thought.

1 minute ago, B-F-F-C said:

Oh I'm sure he can probably tap dance or sing but you need skill to be effective as a QB in the CFL.  Maybe in the NCAA you can win some games with 200+ team rushing games but in the CFL you have to throw the ball downfield.   

Again, regardless of what his CFL QB career ends up looking like, he is undeniably supremely talented and athletic. His shortcomings fall elsewhere. 

1 minute ago, AKAChip said:

Again, regardless of what his CFL QB career ends up looking like, he is undeniably supremely talented and athletic. His shortcomings fall elsewhere. 

Quite possibly true but all we're interested in is his ability to lead this team and become an effective and successful QB for this team.  

2 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

I puked watching Nichols slide in open field prior to getting to the first down marker.  You'd never see Streveler do that.

I would never condemn a football player for protecting themselves from a potentially career ending dirty hit.  Especially with some of the dirty headhunter players in the CFL these days.   

10 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

I would never condemn a football player for protecting themselves from a potentially career ending dirty hit.  Especially with some of the dirty headhunter players in the CFL these days.   

I agree. But that's not what happened. I've seen Nichols slide in open field where it looked like he could have made the first down without damaging himself. For sure, you could accuse Streveler of being reckless, getting injured, and potentially costing his team by diminishing his own effectiveness (ie that might have happened a bit yesterday). Conversely, you could accuse Nichols of being too cautious in self-preservation mode. He saves himself but selfishly costs the team an opportunity to finish a play or get the first down.  One is being unselfish in the extreme and the other is being selfish in the extreme. You decide who you'd rather have as a leader.

Edited by Doublezero

All the QB comments aside, and I’m a Streveler fan like most, this comes down to coaching plain and simple. Streveler has been with the team for 2 years and has been given little opportunity to develop his throwing abilities. Buck pierce was a Streveler run first pass second so how would one think he could develop his passing game. And if memory is correct pierce wasn’t that great a passer either. Then you have the game plan being practiced week in week out....short pass game very few long balls little time to develop chemistry with receivers outside 10 yards and no development on timing ie throwing to a spot where the receiver is supposed to be. So from a coaching perspective little developmental input hence little development.

Another point that has been mentioned here, why did the coaches risk Streveler’s career and health seeing what we all saw....a guy who could barely walk let alone run ! Any sensible coach would have taken him out whether he wanted to or not the first time he could hardly get up! Why do you have backups dressed....to look pretty? I blame O’Shea first and Lapo second...regardless of what Streveler said he should have been taken out and replaced by either of the others.

and finally why did Harris only get 12 touches running the ball.it certainly says something about the game plan when the QB has more rushing attempts and more yards than the leading rusher in the league!

oh well maybe next year!

1 hour ago, AKAChip said:

Yes he is an extremely talented runner. But, at this point anyway, he lacks in being able to execute (i.e. find and hit the open receiver). That is one of the most important aspects of a successful QB. If he doesn't improve in this area he will be nothing more than a tougher, faster version of Nealon Greene.