GDT: Bombers at Stamps

Noeller

14 minutes ago, J5V said:

How many shots did he take downfield today? His entire play set was from -5 yards to 10 yards. He hit Lawler on one pass up the middle that surprised Calgary on second-and-one. What is he supposed to do? Turn off his headgear and start freelancing with his receivers to push the ball downfield? Yeah, that'd be a good career move.

You can defend Streveler all night long. Nothing will change my mind about him now as I've seen enough. There's no growth or improvement in his passing game. He just seems to be stagnating. Any qb can complete the passes he throws at the pro level. It's the ones he can't that are killing us. I think  LaPo doesn't throw intermediate or deep because Streveler can't get the ball to his receivers with any kind of accuracy or consistency.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Well Nichols tends to checkdown to harris way 2 much.. But i don't think anyone said that. Pretty sure most of us has seen this for years from Lapo. 

Well then we could come back to the argument that the receivers are good and what not. I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure I saw a stat come up that strev actually throws to Harris more than Nichols 

6 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You also need a guy who can complete passes all over the field. Which we don't have as a starter now. 

Again, how do you know? He's never been given such a game plan. Not once. 

I hope I get to see this young man play for an intelligent, creative OC that recognizes what he can do and isn't afraid to throw the ball downfield. 

1 minute ago, J5V said:

Again, how do you know? He's never been given such a game plan. Not once. 

Because I don't believe Streveler can complete the throws we'd all like to see. That is why it's not game planned. Our dumb ass HC never gave any playing time to McGuire this season  to see what he could do under center & now we're hooped. 

22 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Bottom line.. Regardless of how points are scored considering the D was scoring points earlier in the season also.. Winning games without giving up TDs.. But regardless.. 33 points in Calgary should be enough to win. Problem recently has been the D giving up these big time explosion plays. 

D was not doing this earlier..they were shutting teams down. Now.. If the D needs a stop, they dont get it. 

The D wasn't good...I will start by saying that.  But the offense was pretty bad as well.  The defense basically gifted the offense 14 points.  1 on a turnover returned for a TD and another deep in Calgary territory where the offense only had to move the ball 25 yards for the TD.  Without those plays by the defense, the offense probably only scores 19-22 points...not particularly good.

Bottom line- both the offense and defense were not good.  Special teams was the best aspect of the game for the Bombers.

2 minutes ago, White Out said:

Defending Strev has become a religion for some people, because God forbid Nichols is actually a better option

It's a shame O'Shea didn't give McGuire a chance to see what he could have done tonight or in previous games. I remember when we signed Drew Willy & right away at that media conference, 4 months before training camp he announces Willy is the starter. No ifs, ands or buts. Never even saw the guy take a snap & he was suddenly our starter. O'Shea just gave the starting job to Willy that day. He didn't even have to earn it. That's O'Shea. He never even allowed McGuire to show what he could do this season. Coach may have short changed McGuire, his teammates & us by doing the same thing with Streveler. You think he'd have learned from that mistake but nope. 

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

It's a shame O'Shea didn't give McGuire a chance to see what he could have done tonight or in previous games. I remember when we signed Drew Willy & right away at that media conference, 4 months before training camp he announces Willy is the starter. No ifs, ands or buts. Never even saw the guy take a snap & he was suddenly our starter. O'Shea just gave the starting job to Willy that day. He didn't even have to earn it. That's O'Shea. He never even allowed McGuire to show what he could do this season. Coach may have short changed McGuire, his teammates & us by doing the same thing with Streveler. You think he'd have learned from that mistake but nope. 

The team seems to have peaked under this regime in 2017.  12-6 record.  While the team did finally win a playoff game in 2018 it was against the worst starting QB in recent playoff history...and that Bomber team was 10-8 in the regular season and clearly inferior to the one from the preceding season.

37 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure I saw a stat come up that strev actually throws to Harris more than Nichols 

That can't be right. I'll check and report back...

Edit: it was closer than I thought, but Nichols averaged more attempts/gm to Harris than Streveler did.

Edited by sweep the leg

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Because I don't believe Streveler can complete the throws we'd all like to see. That is why it's not game planned. Our dumb ass HC never gave any playing time to McGuire this season  to see what he could do under center & now we're hooped. 

So McGuire comes in today and because he's such a great thrower he overthrows Lucky on a deep shot down the sideline but last week, Streveler hits Adams in the hands on a deep shot which he drops and it's Streveler that can't throw so now we're hooped. I'm struggling with the logic in this. I saw Lawler and Whitehead each with drops today. Is that on Streveler too? 

I saw Begelton and Rogers with drops today also. I guess that means Mitchell sucks too and Calgary is hooped.

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

That can't be right. I'll check and report back...

Edit: it was closer than I thought, but Nichols averaged more attempts/gm to Harris than Streveler did.

Ok, well it was a few games ago I saw this stat, so it could’ve changed in the last few games.

8 minutes ago, J5V said:

So McGuire comes in today and because he's such a great thrower he overthrows Lucky on a deep shot down the sideline but last week, Streveler hits Adams in the hands on a deep shot which he drops and it's Streveler that can't throw so now we're hooped. I'm struggling with the logic in this. I saw Lawler and Whitehead each with drops today. Is that on Streveler too? 

I saw Begelton and Rogers with drops today also. I guess that means Mitchell sucks too and Calgary is hooped.

This is a bad take.

Just now, J5V said:

You can't compare Streveler to Mitchell as it isn't even close. I've seen enough of Streveler to know things aren't going to change. He isn't improving throwing the ball. He's played enough now for me to see it ain't happening for the guy. In 13 games, he's thrown for 1,564 yards. That is 120 yards per game & stretched out over 18 games that amounts to 2,166 yards, 11 TDS & 16 INTS  in a league where qbs routinely throw for 5,000. We can't win with those passing stats. 

Like the way we simplify the O in these 2nd halfs.....

But seriously.....Streveler is a warrior.....but less than 150 passing is simply not going to get it done....especially against the big boys.    Lapo is still a 30 minute OC.

On D...a couple of guys standing out and a couple of gift turnovers.   That covers the good news..

Until late...Stamps OL did a number on our Dl. 

We also used our useless blitz packages, yet again...to leave the flats/hash areas wide open. 

Bighill must have some serious physical ailment - he can't pivot or change direction or wrap up on tackles.  Completely ineffective.

As far as defending the two pointer.....less said the better.

The Toronto and Montreal choke jobs really loom large now....as the Bombers keep failing to make it happen down the stretch.

Back to gin and Laotian massages...

2 hours ago, do or die said:

Like the way we simplify the O in these 2nd halfs.....

But seriously.....Streveler is a warrior.....but less than 150 passing is simply not going to get it done....especially against the big boys.    Lapo is still a 30 minute OC.

On D...a couple of guys standing out and a couple of gift turnovers.   That covers the good news..

Until late...Stamps OL did a number on our Dl. 

We also used our useless blitz packages, yet again...to leave the flats/hash areas wide open. 

Bighill must have some serious physical ailment - he can't pivot or change direction or wrap up on tackles.  Completely ineffective.

As far as defending the two pointer.....less said the better.

The Toronto and Montreal choke jobs really loom large now....as the Bombers keep failing to make it happen down the stretch.

Back to gin and Laotian massages...

Good to see you have maintained your sense of humour.

Calgary's D laid a beating on Streveler just like Dickenson told the officials they would. 

Note to Walters: Lawler, Demski, and Whitehead < Rogers, Begelton, and Mayala.

Lapo with nothing to surprise the Calgary D in the second half, as usual. 

Hall's D unable to adjust to shut down Calgary in the second half, as usual.

O'Shea with no answers, as usual, although I did like some of the questions the media had for him.

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You can't compare Streveler to Mitchell as it isn't even close. I've seen enough of Streveler to know things aren't going to change. He isn't improving throwing the ball. He's played enough now for me to see it ain't happening for the guy. In 13 games, he's thrown for 1,564 yards. That is 120 yards per game & stretched out over 18 games that amounts to 2,166 yards, 11 TDS & 16 INTS  in a league where qbs routinely throw for 5,000. We can't win with those passing stats. 

You're just taking it out on Streveler and throwing stats around when you know he has a crap OC and consequently no open receivers to throw to. Do you remember Nichols saying he had no open receivers to throw to last year? It wouldn't matter who was playing QB on this team the stats wouldn't be there. 

2 hours ago, nawrockp said:

Just wondering: if we lost against Calgary next week, are we possibly going to the crossover playoff spot? Or has Edmonton already locked it up? 

Best they can do is tie us on points and we have the season series, so they are going to Montreal.