Bombers Playing Better Football

J5V

We played a much improved brand of football today against the Larks. Offense, Defense, and STs all stepped up to give us a much needed win. We eliminated a lot of the negatives from our game today. I think we wanted it more than our opponent and it showed. I think Lapo had a much improved game plan. I think our roster management was better. I think the QB play was better. The play of our secondary was better. We kept the penalties down and we are the least penalized team in the league. For us to have a chance of winning a championship we need to keep this going and we need to keep improving because there is definitely room for improvement. We still are not playing up to our potential.

One area I believe we need to improve if we are going to challenge the best teams in our league is the play between our QB and the receivers. 

It seems to me that if a QB throws a pass to a receiver that has one-on-one coverage, in other words, it's just a receiver and an isolated defensive back, then of those 2 players the receiver has a huge advantage and should come down with the ball the majority of the time. The receiver knows the route he is running and he knows where the ball is being thrown and it is much easier for him to see the ball being thrown and it's trajectory. The DB is at a disadvantage because he does not know the route and his vision of the football isn't as good as he often has to look back over his shoulder. My point is, the odds must be better than 50-50 that if anyone is going to catch that ball it should be the receiver.

During the 20 point comeback by the Argos, MBT threw numerous 50-50 balls and the Argo receivers came down with the majority of them. During the Montreal comeback from 24 points down the Montreal receivers came down with the majority of the 50-50 balls too. Here is what I don't understand. What is it about the way our offense works that if we throw a 50-50 ball it seems to yield an inordinate number of INTs? Why is it that with our receivers we rarely come down with a 50-50 ball? I've seen this with both Nichols and Streveler and I find it perplexing. A QB like Mike Reiley has had a very successful career throwing the 50-50 ball to his receivers. Why does this stategy seldom seem to work in our favour? It seems like every 50-50 ball we throw either gets knocked down or intercepted. Is there something about the way these passes are being thrown? Do the DBs somehow know exactly where these balls are being thrown? Or is there something that our receivers are doing or not doing that yields INTs?

I think if we can solve this riddle it'll enhance our chances of winning going down the stretch. 

Of course, I could be completely out to lunch about this 50-50 ball thing but I don't think so.

These aren't all 50-50 balls but a lot are. Check it out ...

It was a team win vs MTL and they are playing better all around. Alexander at safety and the insertion of Nick Taylor is an upgrade. As for QB, I'm excited about Strev, tremendous athlete who is fun to watch. Regardless of what happens next (Grey Cup?) here's hoping  we can get him back as our guy in Winnipeg next season. The pick on the endzone pass to Darvin Adams was under thrown. Exactly the same result on the same play vs Sask the week prior. I'm sure Strev won't do that again.

7 minutes ago, Brock Streveler said:

Bombers did play better but we have to remember that it was against a team that had nothing to play for.    Streveler is still the Achilles heal of this team imo and everyone knows you can’t win in the playoffs without exceptional QB play.  

So none of the teams are going to win the cup this year lmao....... it's a good thing your opinion is useless

13 minutes ago, Brock Streveler said:

Bombers did play better but we have to remember that it was against a team that had nothing to play for.    Streveler is still the Achilles heal of this team imo and everyone knows you can’t win in the playoffs without exceptional QB play.  

and Fajardo didn't look too $*** hot in your game on Friday, so keep calling that kettle black there pot!

10 minutes ago, Brock Streveler said:

that had nothing to play for.  

Dear Brock,
Well, maybe only 1st place.

They would have to have had won out and Hamilton lose...but do you honestly think they didn’t try? 😳 

Don't try to figure these thing out..your head will hurt.

- sincerely Cody Lancaster

13 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Dear Brock,
Well, maybe only 1st place.

They would have to have had won out and Hamilton lose...but do you honestly think they didn’t try? 😳 

Don't try to figure these thing out..your head will hurt.

- sincerely Cody Lancaster

Not sure how good you are at math but it’s impossible for the Als for finish 1st even if they won yesterday. 

5 minutes ago, Brock Streveler said:

Not sure how good you are at math but it’s impossible for the Als for finish 1st even if they won yesterday. 

Hello McFly,

This is from CFL.ca.

"TORONTO — The Hamilton Tiger-Cats clinched first place in the East Division on Saturday night despite not playing a single down of football.

With the Ticats out on a Week 18 bye, Hamilton just needed the Montreal Alouettes to lose or tie against the Blue Bombers to clinch the division.

The Bombers defeated Alouettes 35-24 at IG Field, meaning Hamilton claimed first in the East and will host the Eastern Final on November 17."

So they did have a chance to finish first.

Remember that even a fool can be thought of as wise until he opens his mouth and removes all doubt.

1 hour ago, Brock Streveler said:

Lots of self inflicted wounds yet the Riders only lost in Calgary by 2 pts.    Imo they are the best 2 teams in the west. 

Are we seriously going to go by the old "only lost by" metric? Cause the bombers have a pile of 1 or 2 point losses, even in regina on labour day... plus we actually beat the stamps you know. 

5 hours ago, Brock Streveler said:

I can't wait to see Fajardo fail in his 1st playoff game. His little gadget duck under will not fly in the playoffs.

5 hours ago, Brock Streveler said:

Andrew Harris can't run anymore, Als couldn't finish first. Do you ever get tired of looking like a complete moron? You just reinforce every comment ever made about how delusional Rider fans can be? Never change. You think you are getting under our skin when, in fact, we are chuckling and patting ourselves on the back for being so right about your fan base. Even other Rider fans must be just cringing at how badly you are being manhandled here...and you are the one sticking your own chin out saying "thank you sir may i have another".

13 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Are we seriously going to go by the old "only lost by" metric? Cause the bombers have a pile of 1 or 2 point losses, even in regina on labour day... plus we actually beat the stamps you know. 

Plus we beat the Als by playing all four quarters instead of being gifted the game after 3 quarters.

3 hours ago, gcn11 said:

No more tedious than reading constant Bomber negativity. Just saying...

You have to look at the negatives so you can try to eliminate them from your game. For example, the Bombers are the least penalized team in the league.

I thought Montreal played some of their worst football of the season, and we still never really put this game away until the final gun sounded. After watching it a second time, there's nothing about the win that makes me think we'll give Calgary a game on Saturday. I'm not saying we're "for sure" going to lose, but just that nothing about the Montreal win gives me confidence. They've got a lot of work to do if they wanna beat Calgary right now...