Fil de Jeu - Als @ Bombers

7 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

I find it odd that people are expecting a guy who's seen very limited time as a starter to have issues with decision making.  You can't expect him to be 24 and play like he's 30.  You learn to make good decisions by making some bad ones.    Personally, I like a guy who's willing to take a chance here and there.   So maybe, give him some time but expect a hiccup or two along the way. 

Speaking only for myself...

I don't "expect" him to be making better decisions. I think he's pretty much where I'd expect him to be given his age,  experience and limited pro reps. My comment was strictly in reference to his desirability around the league as a starter next season. 

Like the steak I cooked last night...he needs a little more time on the grill to be well done...but I think he'll get there.

2 minutes ago, J5V said:

That's a strange thing to say. What can he give this team that he hasn't already? He always brings it. Yes he makes mistakes but you can't question his heart.

I agree he is givin his all....... I'm just trying to say it's a 'team' win, but the QB usually gets the 'W' credits once the team has compiled enough of them...... so the team got him a W,  now some game when we are down by one score Big Chris will do something amazing and capture the W.... for the team of course. 😃

12 hours ago, Deiter Fan said:

I like Strev and think he has loads of upside but I tend to agree with this. He has shown tremendous potential but his decision making, at times, is pretty suspect....which would be ok if he was putting up better passing numbers. Yeah he puts up crazy numbers on the ground for a QB but that's an accident waiting to happen.

I like to think he'll figure that out and continue to get better and better...but if I was a coach looking for a starter next year I'm not sure he'd be the first guy I call

Having said that...if the coaches decide he beats out Nichols at camp, should he return, then I'd support that decision, too. It might be a nail-biter of a year but having his job secure and guaranteed reps right from the beginning might just be what he needs to pull it together.

We have been willing to be patient with a head coach for 6 years. Why in the world would we not be willing to be patient with a young QB that shows so much promise? 

7 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Here's the thing: I don't know if Streveler should be our starter next year, but I find it odd that people are expecting a guy who's seen very limited time as a starter to have issues with decision making.  You can't expect him to be 24 and play like he's 30.  You learn to make good decisions by making some bad ones.    Personally, I like a guy who's willing to take a chance here and there.   So maybe, give him some time but expect a hiccup or two along the way. 

If we make him the starter I think we can sign him for cheap too so there is that.  :-)

6 hours ago, pigseye said:

So Crapolice remembered how to run the ball.....what a revelation, only 3 weeks too late with first place almost out of reach now.

On a side note, Darvin Adams needs to sit, his lack of compete is unacceptable for veteran leader. 

I took some flac for making a similar comment but I believe you're right. No fight for the ball on that first INT at all.

55 minutes ago, J5V said:

Why in the world would we not be willing to be patient with a young QB that shows so much promise? 

The only reason I can think of is if they snag someone like Arbuckle...otherwise I would much prefer Strev with all his potential than a Nichols in the twilight of his career.

My concern is if Nichols says he's good to go the loyalty factor may rear it's head with MOS relegating Strev to back-up for another year at least. And if that is the thought process he may test the market in the off season now that he's had a taste of the starting role.

Then again if he helps lead us to a Cup appearance/win then the decision may be much easier for the team.

Time will tell but it should be quite interesting how things play out.

6 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I was surprised Adams never turned defender on the interception in front of him in the end one.....he could clearly see the throw was short.... he should have disrupted that catch at the least..

A throw-behind like that almost always favours the receiver. Adams played that very soft. I fully expected him to drop in front of that ball for the catch. No fight in him at all.

1 hour ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I agree he is givin his all....... I'm just trying to say it's a 'team' win, but the QB usually gets the 'W' credits once the team has compiled enough of them...... so the team got him a W,  now some game when we are down by one score Big Chris will do something amazing and capture the W.... for the team of course. 😃

He did exactly this against the Riders in the LDC. Drove us the length of the field for the go-ahead TD late in the 4th quarter. Unfortunately our D collapsed and gave up the winning points with no time left. Streveler did exactly what you have described. 

Streveler is getting an education and educations are always expensive. Streveler did not get enough reps over the past couple of years to make for a smooth transition from backup to starter, and I have concerns that McGuire is getting the same lack of experience.

Edited by Tracker

1 hour ago, J5V said:

I took some flac for making a similar comment but I believe you're right. No fight for the ball on that first INT at all.

Don't know what's going on with him but I have not been even slightly impressed with his effort the last couple/few weeks, especially. If effort was the determining factor for the #1 receiver then I'd give it to Lawler right now.

Edited by Deiter Fan

7 hours ago, pigseye said:

So Crapolice remembered how to run the ball.....what a revelation, only 3 weeks too late with first place almost out of reach now.

On a side note, Darvin Adams needs to sit, his lack of compete is unacceptable for veteran leader. 

Adams has played quite poorly this year and it hasn't really been mentioned until this week. I know Matthews was a healthy scratch for Montreal, but I have to wonder if we would've been better off keeping him around.

It's interesting that everyone is quick to put Streveler through the ringer, especially when almost everyone can agree that our receiving core has had major issues. Adams has shown a lack of fight, Whitehead is useless in our O and Demski is almost a gadget player himself. That doesn't even take into account the terrible playing calling we've been saddled with all year. What kind of production can we really expect from a young QB in an offense like this? 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

This is only his second year! He got lots of snaps as a rookie and even more this year! What more did you want the team to do?

There were several games over the past 18 months when the game was decided and Nichols kept getting put in. We paid for that when Nichols went down and Streveler showed how ill-prepared he was. There is no substitute for game experience.

58 minutes ago, Tracker said:

There were several games over the past 18 months when the game was decided and Nichols kept getting put in. We paid for that when Nichols went down and Streveler showed how ill-prepared he was. There is no substitute for game experience.

And, yet, we dropped 21 points in the fourth to the Als. Imagine pulling Nichols when we're up comfortably on to have the game slip away? Absolute carnage. There would be a riot... a small one, but a riot nonetheless. 

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

And, yet, we dropped 21 points in the fourth to the Als. Imagine pulling Nichols when we're up comfortably on to have the game slip away? Absolute carnage. There would be a riot... a small one, but a riot nonetheless. 

There is always a risk to every decision. If the team is apparently way ahead and you sub in your backup, you can always switch back. Regardless, backups need live game experience and if they don't get it, you get problems when you are forced into it.

8 minutes ago, Tracker said:

There is always a risk to every decision. If the team is apparently way ahead and you sub in your backup, you can always switch back. Regardless, backups need live game experience and if they don't get it, you get problems when you are forced into it.

But Streveler got lots of live game experience (for a rookie and second year player). 

Streveler has had far more playing time than any second year player ever should. Not only did he start the first month for us last year but they've worked in a whole extra series of plays just for him during games where he's not the starter. It's absurd to day he hasn't been given enough reps... 

5 hours ago, JCon said:

How do you know this? How do you know he doesn't come in and throw for 2 touchdowns and run for another and we win in a rout?