Fil de Jeu - Als @ Bombers

5 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Just having finished watching the game, without reading any comments, I have to give credit where credit is due...Paul LaPolice. Having slacked him for a few games now, I must say he called a heck of a game tonight. Lots of mix, use of his better players, and using Streveler as he should have been doing the last few games. 
Somebody tell him to keep doing exactly this.

I think that’s fair.  In the 4th quarter I expected to see basic, totally telegraphed runs straight up the gut, but for the most part the play calling was much more varied.  He let the ground game do what it was designed to do, and Montreal didn’t have any real answer for it.

I liked the pressure the d-line brought today.   The secondary also was playing aggressive which was nice.   It also helped that VAJ made some brain dead throws.

Streveler... love the guy but he needs two more seasons as a back up.  We can't expect to win with him running non stop.    This off season I would make a push for Masoli  (assuming he's the only available decent qb)  and I fully would support dumping Darvin and Whitehead and try someone new.     I'd also like a new o-coordinator because the o was predictable and while they didn't run trick gadget plays... I still wish we could push the ball down the field more often.  

6 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Two more seasons as a backup lol. That’s clearly not going to happen. He will either start next year or he will be gone. 

Well including today his overall body of work this season has been not that good.  Very rough around the edges,  who would make them their starter at this point?   The guy still has potential but unless a team wants the bumps in the road I don't see him getting starter money anywhere.   

8 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

How many rushing yards does Harris have. No mention from my good friends Black and Ford.

Sorry if this has already been answered. I'm just catching up...but the booth was saying that he had a personal best rush total of 166 yds.

Hopefully that stuffs it in the face of the people that claimed he was only good because of PEDs. If he really was taking them he never should have because, apparently, he would have been better without them.

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Well including today his overall body of work this season has been not that good.  Very rough around the edges,  who would make them their starter at this point?   The guy still has potential but unless a team wants the bumps in the road I don't see him getting starter money anywhere.   

I like Strev and think he has loads of upside but I tend to agree with this. He has shown tremendous potential but his decision making, at times, is pretty suspect....which would be ok if he was putting up better passing numbers. Yeah he puts up crazy numbers on the ground for a QB but that's an accident waiting to happen.

I like to think he'll figure that out and continue to get better and better...but if I was a coach looking for a starter next year I'm not sure he'd be the first guy I call

Having said that...if the coaches decide he beats out Nichols at camp, should he return, then I'd support that decision, too. It might be a nail-biter of a year but having his job secure and guaranteed reps right from the beginning might just be what he needs to pull it together.

Here's the thing: I don't know if Streveler should be our starter next year, but I find it odd that people are expecting a guy who's seen very limited time as a starter to have issues with decision making.  You can't expect him to be 24 and play like he's 30.  You learn to make good decisions by making some bad ones.    Personally, I like a guy who's willing to take a chance here and there.   So maybe, give him some time but expect a hiccup or two along the way. 

Only one of the two interceptions was a bad decisions. The first one before half time the decision to make that throw was fine, he just needed to put that ball in a different position. Instead of throwing to Adams like he did he needed to just put it up and more to the back of the endzone and let Adams try and run to it. That will come with experience. 

The other int, that was just a poor decision and throw. 

15 hours ago, 17to85 said:

yeah I wanted to see the replay again but of course TSN never showed it, think we got jobbed.... but at the same time, you gotta still cover when the qb scrambles

Certainly agree with you about how TSN handles controversial replays that will show the incompetence of the league. However, can’t agree that the corner needs to continue to cover receiver once the quarterback has breached the line of scrimmage.

Having played corner many moons ago, you’re always in a tough position once the QB has broken contain, which VA jr. had… But the job becomes impossible when the officials are incompetent and allow him to throw the ball when he’s clearly passed the line of scrimmage. 

Edited by deepsixemtoboyd

Just now, deepsixemtoboyd said:

Certainly agree with you about how TSN handles controversial replace that will show the incompetence of the league. However, can’t agree that the corner needs to continue to cover receiver once the quarterback has breached the line of scrimmage.

Having played corner many moons ago, you’re always in a tough position once the QB has broken contain which VA jr. had… But the job becomes impossible when the officials are incompetent and allow him to throw the ball when he’s clearly passed the line of scrimmage. 

Yeah but he broke off his coverage well before Adams had crossed the line of scrimmage.

Just now, 17to85 said:

Yeah but he broke off his coverage well before Adams had crossed the line of scrimmage.

Well, you’re getting pretty nuanced there.  But since you’re going there…🤓  It’s a timing thing; corners are going to break off coverage once it is clear – and that’s an intuitive thing – that the quarterback has moved too far to be able to get into a throwing motion and that occurs a split second or two BEFORE they cross the line of scrimmage. 

And that is what occurred here. QB was given a severely unfair advantage; he was allowed  to break the rules at which point you can no longer blame the corner… Just my opinion. We may have to agree to disagree. 

27 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Here's the thing: I don't know if Streveler should be our starter next year, but I find it odd that people are expecting a guy who's seen very limited time as a starter to have issues with decision making.  You can't expect him to be 24 and play like he's 30.  You learn to make good decisions by making some bad ones.    Personally, I like a guy who's willing to take a chance here and there.   So maybe, give him some time but expect a hiccup or two along the way. 

Well said. There are going to be good times and some bad times while he develops. Anyone expecting nothing but the best is dreaming. 

37 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Well said. There are going to be good times and some bad times while he develops. Anyone expecting nothing but the best is dreaming. 

Both Fajardo and Adams bounced around the league for a couple of years before they developed into starters.  I’m not sure why we would expect Streveler to develop faster.

We did what we had to do BUT there is still glaring misses in this team...We can't continually flub opportunities in the red zone ...especially against a club like Cal. ....Still playing too soft on receivers and if that continues Bo will carve us up like this weekends turkey...What the hell has happened to Darvin Adams...Streve delivered a very catch able ball for big yardage and Adams muffed it...No extra coming from this guy and we need that....Big games coming up and on the positive Harris is running wild...Home and home with the stumps will pretty much sum up our season...Here's hopin'

27 minutes ago, pigseye said:

So Crapolice remembered how to run the ball.....what a revelation, only 3 weeks too late with first place almost out of reach now.

On a side note, Darvin Adams needs to sit, his lack of compete is unacceptable for veteran leader. 

I was surprised Adams never turned defender on the interception in front of him in the end one.....he could clearly see the throw was short.... he should have disrupted that catch at the least..

10 hours ago, Brandon said:

Agreed. If Streveler wants to stay in the CFL I'm not sure a team will gamble on giving him starters $.                                   Calgary -BLM, B.C.- Reilly, Edmonton- Harris, SK- Fajardo, Hamilton - Evans, Montreal- Adams. 

So Toronto and Ottawa and Winnipeg will vie for Masoli, Arbuckle, Nichols & Streveler (and the leftovers in Toronto that I wouldn't touch).