Bombers acquire Zach Collaros

Mike

5 minutes ago, CodyT said:

Have you not seen good decision making and accuracy from Masoli in the past? 

What exactly makes you think no way 

Hamilton ran almost exclusively 7 blockers on passes with Masoli.  They really relied on a great set of receivers with him to spot the ball.  Masoli would throw lobs underneath coverage for the most part, and they ran a great screen game.  With Evans they've been able to open up their playbook because he has a faster release and throws a more accurate ball at all ranges.  In short, he can deal with pressure and still make an accurate throw.  They've been more lethal with Evans IMO.

I'd only be interested in Masoli if we brought in a OC from the June Jones school of Run-and-Shoot.  I doubt he can be effective running a conventional offense

4 minutes ago, CodyT said:

Agree that Nichols still has that "blah" feeling. Nothing about Matt Nichols screams "put the team on my back". For whatever reason he is really not loved by fans despite bringing WPG back to respectability 

I will never understand the "sexy" factor to fans being the end-all be-all. Nichols has come here and been a winner. Period. Brought the Bombers back not only to respectability but to the top of the West before he got hurt. If you want to diss him, go after his injury history. But people think that this team doesn't follow him and that he doesn't inspire? They were 7-2 and on top of the league with him, FFS!!!! Didn't see any malingerers on the team when he was running the ship. But Big Chris inspires - yeah, all the way to a 4-8 record as a starter the last 2 years.

I think people here would fall all over Trevor Harris and his big yardage numbers and not consider that he is sub-.500 as a starter. I swear, if the internet existed when Tom Clements was QB here he would have been run out of town for being too boring and not putting the team on his back with his 3600 yard passing and 24 TDs, oh no don't look at his Grey Cup ring, he's not exciting enough.

37 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

First rounder is tough to give up. But, it will be pick 8 or 9 of the first round and not a fantastic draft year. Looks like the top end of the draft this year will get serious NFL looks, meaning we'll likely never see them in the CFL. The players projected from around 6 - 20 seem pretty equal in talent. Walters is also a very good drafter. So, if we had to give up a first rounder for a Grey Cup winning QB (positive thinking), this would be the year. 

So the draft is not deep with talent, but the first two rounds, look stacked. Now there is 2, maybe three players in there that will never see the cfl as they will go straight to the nfl and not look back. But still leaves tons of talent in the first round. Hard to give up a first for a qb that you don’t know when he’s gonna get injured next.

35 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I will never understand the "sexy" factor to fans being the end-all be-all. Nichols has come here and been a winner. Period. Brought the Bombers back not only to respectability but to the top of the West before he got hurt. If you want to diss him, go after his injury history. But people think that this team doesn't follow him and that he doesn't inspire? They were 7-2 and on top of the league with him, FFS!!!! Didn't see any malingerers on the team when he was running the ship. But Big Chris inspires - yeah, all the way to a 4-8 record as a starter the last 2 years.

I think people here would fall all over Trevor Harris and his big yardage numbers and not consider that he is sub-.500 as a starter. I swear, if the internet existed when Tom Clements was QB here he would have been run out of town for being too boring and not putting the team on his back with his 3600 yard passing and 24 TDs, oh no don't look at his Grey Cup ring, he's not exciting enough.

Every on this board should read this post. There is also the argument that Nichols is only 1-3 in playoff games, but the stats and scores of the first two loses are usually left out. We gotta remember our d sucked in 2016/2017. Gave up huge passing games. 

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

This is right on.

People always want something shiny and new.  They see only the good things in "the new guy"  Then they soon become jaded and look for flaws.   Then it is on to the next new guy.  

I'm totally thrilled and happy with the play of Collaros.  It's great that he has ;taken the reins and led us to the Cup.  He's got a different skill set from Nichols, but let us not forget that Matt Nichols had the team going in top gear before he was injured.  We should not forget the good things he did early in this season and previously, even at times when he did not have a great team behind him.

Surely, now that we have made it to the party, we can simply enjoy the ride.  Both Collaros and Nichols helped to get us here.  Good on them!!

50 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

Every on this board should read this post. There is also the argument that Nichols is only 1-3 in playoff games, but the stats and scores of the first two loses are usually left out. We gotta remember our d sucked in 2016/2017. Gave up huge passing games. 

But in 2018, the defence was stellar against Calgary and Nichols looked awful.

So the question is, after another injury, can he still be that guy?

22 minutes ago, Jesse said:

the entire offense looked awful.....we got Bad Lapo that day.

31 minutes ago, Pigskin said:

Yes, Matt beat up the weak teams in the league with his check downs, and ZC8 beats all the top teams when bombers fans felt all was lost. ZC8 2 playoff wins in his first month with the bombers, MH one win in how many years??

Winner of the most unfair statement of the night..

31 minutes ago, Jesse said:

You are 100% correct Matt player awful against Calgary. No way to defend that. But in four playoffs games and only being bad in one of them isn’t terrible. As for coming back from injury, idk. I like Matt, and wouldn’t be upset if he came back, but he has to prove he has the strength and can still make quick reads. I also wouldn’t be upset if they went in a new direction that was also in a different direction of strev lol.

41 minutes ago, Pigskin said:

Yes, Matt beat up the weak teams in the league with his check downs, and ZC8 beats all the top teams when bombers fans felt all was lost. ZC8 2 playoff wins in his first month with the bombers, MH one win in how many years??

Ah yes wins tell the full story.

3 hours ago, Tiny759 said:

Context is important, Nichols played well against BC in 2017 but O'Shea made the horrific decision to go for the 62 yard field goal. He didn't play well against in Edmonton in 2017, with the majority of his stats being complied when the game was out of hand in the fourth quarter and played poorly against Calgary in 2018.

20 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Context is important, Nichols played well against BC in 2017 but O'Shea made the horrific decision to go for the 62 yard field goal. He didn't play well against in Edmonton in 2017, with the majority of his stats being complied when the game was out of hand in the fourth quarter and played poorly against Calgary in 2018.

BC 2016 we scored 2 FG's in the 2nd half.  That's not good.  The offense stalled like crazy paving the way for the blown lead.  At one point we had the ball and were two first downs from being able to take knees to end the game.  We punt and Jennings takes BC down for a TD.

44 minutes ago, Brandon said:

If our options are only ZC or Nichols then I'd easily choose ZC because he at least isn't slow and terrified once he gets pressured.     

At this point I'd rather move on with Strev and McGuire over  Nichols.    He's done and at this point only worth paying at a veteran back up price. 

I keep thinking of the shoulder injury that Travis Lulay had and how it basically finished his career as a QB. 

3 hours ago, J5V said:

I keep thinking of the shoulder injury that Travis Lulay had and how it basically finished his career as a QB. 

Yah, but how many times was Lulay rushed back into action asap only to be knocked out of action shortly afterwards, at least 2 or 3 times.  Feel sorry for him but I think Wally managed  his injuries very poorly.

To play devil’s advocate for Nichols....

he started the year with us 7-2, first in the West. He finished with 15 TDs and 5 INTs with just short of 2000 passing yards. Had he not gotten injured, you could argue him being on pace for the West MOP nominate. (Fajardo was 18-8 4300 yards. Nichols was on pace for 30-10  4000)

If we resign Zach and he equalled those Nichols numbers next season, we would all be singing his praises. The problem with Bomber/Winnipeg fans is we get bored. We want change for the sake of change. Look at those calling for the heads of MOS and Walters, even though we’ve posted 4 consecutive winning seasons and are now in the GC, but people still want change.

Prior to Nichols, do people remember the QB situation? Or the coaching situation prior to the MOS stability era?

It wouldn’t be the end of the world if we went into next season with Nichols and Strevs, in fact Nichols might operate with a chip on his shoulder depending on this Sunday’s outcome...

5 hours ago, Floyd said:

Harris will be trades there and will thrive... he’s a good QB 

No, I don’t think Edmonton wants to enter the forest of no QBs. It’s a dismal place full of crushed hopes and dreams.

No, they have a bonafide QB..and they’ll keep him.