Bombers acquire Zach Collaros

Mike

16 hours ago, Noeller said:

I'm totally fine with Nichols next year....or Collaros.....but I think there NEEDS to be a veteran of some kind there. Back up can be Strev or McGuire...whatever. But NEED to have a vet starter...you won't win without it.

Evans, Fajardo and Arbuckle (to a lesser extent) prove that you don't NEED a vet starter to win games or even get 1st in your division.

Collaros is better than Nichols. Both are better than Streveler, have significant injury concerns and will be expensive. Masoli is also coming off of a season ending injury, so all of the available vet QB's have injury issues.

If Nichols was still our QB, the team would have already packed their bags and we'd be talking about next year around here.

I doubt that Streveler gets any NFL interest at QB. I also doubt he gets any interest in the CFL as a starting QB. 

We will have 3 QB's next year, but only 2 on the game day roster.

Edited by TBURGESS

8 minutes ago, Booch said:

not thast we have to re-visit the MATT hate, but his 2 play-off losses were not on him...how you dont get that is baffling

Collaros will earn similar money to what he got this year...he may have to settle for an incentive laden deal but he wont be north of 550k I don't think\

Masolli is coming off an ACL...Not nearly the severe thing to come back from like it was even just 5-7 years ago...he will be fine...A one two punch of him and Strev would suit me just fine and be no worse than what we have had recently, and most likely more dynamic

It's just an observation. That is happening.  In my opinion he does not inspire the rest of the team like you can see some QB's do.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

not thast we have to re-visit the MATT hate, but his 2 play-off losses were not on him...how you dont get that is baffling

Collaros will earn similar money to what he got this year...he may have to settle for an incentive laden deal but he wont be north of 550k I don't think\

Masolli is coming off an ACL...Not nearly the severe thing to come back from like it was even just 5-7 years ago...he will be fine...A one two punch of him and Strev would suit me just fine and be no worse than what we have had recently, and most likely more dynamic

The real question is whether the BB are willing to move on from MN. Can they get discounts on one or both of he and Collaros?How much loyalty/cash is Pinball willing to commit to Collaros? Will the BB finally upgrade the QB position or... ?see above.

28 minutes ago, helmet2helmet said:

The real question is whether the BB are willing to move on from MN. Can they get discounts on one or both of he and Collaros?How much loyalty/cash is Pinball willing to commit to Collaros? Will the BB finally upgrade the QB position or... ?see above.

They wouldn't bring ZC and MN back together. 

I only hope we can upgrade our QB to someone who get get us wins in the playoffs... oh, wait... 

I think this Oshea to T.O thing has grown it's own legs and came from nowhere...and won't happen.

He likes it here..has created something really good and am sure would like to really establish a legacy...Sure he played on  S. Ont ...so what...only a fool leaves a good thing, to go to a bad situation, and be basically insignificant and an after thought in a poor market

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

I think this Oshea to T.O thing has grown it's own legs and came from nowhere...and won't happen.

He likes it here..has created something really good and am sure would like to really establish a legacy...Sure he played on  S. Ont ...so what...only a fool leaves a good thing, to go to a bad situation, and be basically insignificant and an after thought in a poor market

I agree with this but you have to wonder if MOS was on thin ice(no extension) prior to playoff success. Now it seems more likely he’ll remain in Winnipeg.

This off season should be interesting on many fronts.

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

only if they're morons....Only way MOS is gone is if Toronto offers him the moon. 

The Argos have not booted Corey Chamblin yet weeks after BC and OTT. parted ways with their HC's, so that's a bit telling.  If they're in the market for a new HC they need to get in the game and  get on with it, so that they have a shot at the best available candidates and are not left sifting through a bucket of leftovers.

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

The Argos have not booted Corey Chamblin yet weeks after BC and OTT. parted ways with their HC's, so that's a bit telling.  If they're in the market for a new HC they need to get in the game and  get on with it, so that they have a shot at the best available candidates and are not left sifting through a bucket of leftovers.

also the coaches salary cap plays into things..if you have to pay a guy you canned against your next year cap..how can you offer a guy like Oshea big money?

Toronto looks real unstable to me.  Co-GM's?  WTF.  Murphy is a very concrete personnel guy who most football people have not enjoyed working with.  There's already rumours going around that he's telling agents that he's the real GM and Pinball is just a figurehead to sell tickets.  Toronto means a lot to O'Shea but I imagine he'd be weary of leaving what he's built in Winnipeg to go to that situation.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I refuse to believe Kyle Walters is stupid enough to bring Masoli on board. People who think he's the answer don't know anything about anything. Arbuckle or nobody.....and honestly, I might prefer "nobody"...

and what? direct snap to Harris? lol... gotta have 'somebody'...

43 minutes ago, JCon said:

I don't think he was on thin ice. 

I'm not sure that 'thin ice' was the right term but you have to believe that there was at least conversation about moving forward from the front office... after 6 years and limited success to the ultimate goal had to be talked about as a head coach's performance will ultimately reflect upon those that hired him and retain him...

with that being said, MOS took care of business, regardless of the outcome this weekend, and he'll be in Winnipeg if he wants as long as the dollars make sense to both parties...

3 hours ago, Booch said:

Henry Burris suffered an ACL tear in 1997 & he ended up playing until the end of the 2016 season. He always could run so I think Masoli will be fine. 

4 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I doubt that Streveler gets any NFL interest at QB. I also doubt he gets any interest in the CFL as a starting QB. 

We will have 3 QB's next year, but only 2 on the game day roster.

I agree that Streveler is not going to get any NFL interest at QB. There are so many QB's coming out of college every year who get drafted or picked up as UDFA's. Streveler didn't get signed as an UDFA coming out of college, and has not really done anything to enhance his NFL interest at QB in the CFL. Let's remember, the best QB in the CFL was offered a back up role only with the Vikings and perhaps a couple of other teams. Not even a guarantee of second string. I'm not 100% sure Sean Mannion wouldn't have beat out BLM.

I love Streveler as a competitor and a football player, but, he's not close to being NFL caliber as a QB. And this talk about him getting a look at RB, TE ... again, there are so many RB's and TE's drafted, on practice rosters, back ups. Do you think he jumps the queue over any of them? Doubt it.  

He'll be back as a Bomber. Not as a starting QB. 

Edited by M.Silverback

Im not a Nichols fan but i think his deep ball is probably fairly on par with Collaros. The difference being, i believe anyways, is that Nichols just doesn't take as many deep shots because he is so risk averse. Collaros is willing to take more chances and let his receivers make plays.

Having said that, what a breath of fresh air that toss to Adams was when we were down inside our 5. I was prepared for a run up the middle with Harris for 2 yards followed by a 5 yard pass to Demski. I just cant imagine we attempt/make that play with Nichols under center.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

23 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

I’m a McGuire fan. 
Toolbox ✔️
Good arm ✔️
poised ✔️

same last name as my in-laws ✔️✔️

From what I've seen McGuire has more tools to be a starter than Streveler. Definitely a guy we should keep as long as possible.

Edited by Nickthesizz

49 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

I agree that Streveler is not going to get any NFL interest at QB. There are so many QB's coming out of college every year who get drafted or picked up as UDFA's. Streveler didn't get signed as an UDFA coming out of college, and has not really done anything to enhance his NFL interest at QB in the CFL. Let's remember, the best QB in the CFL was offered a back up role only with the Vikings and perhaps a couple of other teams. Not even a guarantee of second string. I'm not 100% sure Sean Mannion wouldn't have beat out BLM.

I love Streveler as a competitor and a football player, but, he's not close to being NFL caliber as a QB. And this talk about him getting a look at RB, TE ... again, there are so many RB's and TE's drafted, on practice rosters, back ups. Do you think he jumps the queue over any of them? Doubt it.  

He'll be back as a Bomber. Not as a starting QB. 

There's a better chance Tim Tebow makes an NFL comeback than Streveler playing on an NFL team.