Bombers acquire Zach Collaros

Mike

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'd like to see McGuire get a chance to develop. He doesn't bring what Streveler does as a running qb nor is he as physical

McGuire is a big dude,  I have no doubts about him being physical enough to play. 

Compared to Nichols who looks like an accountant,  McGuire is big and seemingly has a good arm and proper mechanics throwing the ball.  

10 minutes ago, TheHypnoToad said:

Collaros has impresed me ut hes not worth a first to keep honestly/ Don't think we're playing in the cup with Nichols still at QB but I like what he did to get us here. Strev needs to ride the pine if he sticks in the CFL, learn for a bit more, get the odd package. Going to be a n interesting off season

I've been a bit critical of Nichols but honestly, if he's healthy we likely play the WF here in WPG. I think we are playing in the cup still. I just think with Nichols we finish 1st instead of 3rd. 

Collaros has been good but.. At the same time i feel hes been a bit lucky to not throw more picks. 

Edited by Goalie

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

when the more likely situation is he's listening to what 2 more experienced players are saying and seeing and absorbing that information. 

Your vendetta against Streveler is a bit much. Give him a real offensive coordinator who can properly use people of different talents and watch him explode. 

I'm not sure why Streveler would leave, assuming the Bombers want him back.  There isn't a CFL team that are offering him a starters job.

35 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I've been a bit critical of Nichols but honestly, if he's healthy we likely play the WF here in WPG. I think we are playing in the cup still. I just think with Nichols we finish 1st instead of 3rd. 

Collaros has been good but.. At the same time i feel hes been a bit lucky to not throw more picks. 

He's fitting right to Lapo's offense that emphasizes ball protection.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

when the more likely situation is he's listening to what 2 more experienced players are saying and seeing and absorbing that information. 

Your vendetta against Streveler is a bit much. Give him a real offensive coordinator who can properly use people of different talents and watch him explode. 

Not a vendetta. Just an observation. Like I said, I don't know what they were looking at, in his defense. I just figured a player actually in the game would have been more engaged. Anyway, I don't think he's an idiot or stupid. But I do think he's struggling with the nuances of the Canadian game. He has Nichols there to help him as for all intents & purposes he's a qb coach now. 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

McGuire is a big dude,  I have no doubts about him being physical enough to play. 

Compared to Nichols who looks like an accountant,  McGuire is big and seemingly has a good arm and proper mechanics throwing the ball.  

From what I've seen he throws a nice ball but not a big body of work.

29 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Not a vendetta. Just an observation. Like I said, I don't know what they were looking at, in his defense. I just figured a player actually in the game would have been more engaged. Anyway, I don't think he's an idiot or stupid. But I do think he's struggling with the nuances of the Canadian game. He has Nichols there to help him as for all intents & purposes he's a qb coach now. 

and i thonl the struggle is an oc who only really uses him as a rushing threat. 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Mcguire is a great specimen by qb standards. And his athletic prowess considering his arm talent is a deadly combo. Streveler is just a damned animal. 

24 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

From what I've seen he throws a nice ball but not a big body of work.

Yeah you can tell a lot about strength and accuracy in a small body of work, but touch, decision making, timing and ability to read/ disguise etc all take time to judge. 

49 minutes ago, Pigskin said:

I think Collaris has a better arm then Nichols, quicker release, and moves around in the pocket and scramblers better then Nichols. However the 1st. round pick? Also he always one hit away from another concussion. Not sure about either one of these guys. 

It won't be cheap to  retain Collaros, he'd use up most of the QB budget to re-sign thus it would be just as risky a gamble as Sask. took on him at the beginning of this season. The Riders were extremely lucky that Fajardo morphed into a half competent starter, are the Bombers prepared to take the same risk on Zach's health and the ability of their backup options to pick up the reins if he goes down?  I don't think so.

15 hours ago, Noeller said:

I'm totally fine with Nichols next year....or Collaros.....but I think there NEEDS to be a veteran of some kind there. Back up can be Strev or McGuire...whatever. But NEED to have a vet starter...you won't win without it.

Yep...I would lean more towards Nichols but only because he is the much safer bet. Go get Masoli...now that would be something.

7 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

It won't be cheap to  retain Collaros, he'd use up most of the QB budget to re-sign thus it would be just as risky a gamble as Sask. took on him at the beginning of this season. The Riders were extremely lucky that Fajardo morphed into a half competent starter, are the Bombers prepared to take the same risk on Zach's health and the ability of their backup options to pick up the reins if he goes down?  I don't think so.

I hope not.

2 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

What's Matty at ..one playoff win in six years ? Zak has two in a month.......  Matty should be gone.  He just doesn't have what it takes to lead a team all the way.  

not thast we have to re-visit the MATT hate, but his 2 play-off losses were not on him...how you dont get that is baffling

Collaros will earn similar money to what he got this year...he may have to settle for an incentive laden deal but he wont be north of 550k I don't think\

Masolli is coming off an ACL...Not nearly the severe thing to come back from like it was even just 5-7 years ago...he will be fine...A one two punch of him and Strev would suit me just fine and be no worse than what we have had recently, and most likely more dynamic