Bombers acquire Zach Collaros

Mike

17 minutes ago, Pigskin said:

McGuire could be an excellent QB in the CFL, but will Winnipeg ever give him a chance?

I think most bomber fans knew ZC8 could play and was as good or better then Nichols. II think the only ? was could he take another big hit.

Anyone could be an excellent QB in the CFL, but will they ever get a chance?

2 hours ago, Booch said:

I somewhat agree with seeing this happen...and there could be worse things truth be told..I do tho see a more liberal use of the 1a/1b quarterback situation tho, if not an almost 50/50 use close to it...or rolling more with whoever is producing more, and going with the flow/feel of the game.

But Throwing eggs in say an Arbuckle basket is dancing with disaster tho..he showed well for most part, but was also average and showed his inexperience, so a veteran presence in some capacity is required I think, Is it Matt?...who knows...but with him with get continuity, and we know what he can do in this offence..Massoli?..possible but again...will he even be ready and is he really "that" proven of a commodity?

Collaros may really grow to like whats going on here, and decide to stay, have a chance to win...or win again (fingers crossed) and resign here..A one two punch with him and Strev would surely keep him more upright over course of the year, and he would be a better mentor for Strev, and also a better QB for Strev to watch and learn to play like...be interesting off-season for sure.....the big variable though I think is Mcguire...My impression is he has the best all-around skill set to really succeed as a QB in Canada...nice mobility (Strev Light almost) an obvious pocket presence he has shown in is pre-season work and in practice and an arm to make all the throws

I don't think we can't go back to what we had before the trade. Our qb position needs an upgrade. Streveler can't carry this team if we go back to Nichols & then he gets hurt. I have no idea what the Bombers are going to do but to have the same two qbs next year as we had at the start of the season will be a mistake. I noticed something yesterday. Whenever Collaros was looking at his device on the sidelines, he & Nichols were into what looked like some deep strategy discussions. Streveler was sitting beside them but never said a word. At times he looked away almost disinterested. But he never got involved in the conversation offering his opinion which I thought was strange.  He never said a word while the other 2 were talking. I don't think he has a handle on or understands reading a defense. Although in Streveler's defense we don't know what they were looking at on the sidelines. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Just now, rebusrankin said:

Collaros's wife is a teacher in Toronto apparently. CJOB mentioned it yesterday and spoke of the situation as a hockey rental.

Yeah, I have no doubt he wants to go back but to have Nichols & Streveler as the same qbs next year? I dunno. Then if LaPo comes back? That'll go over like a lead balloon. 

Just now, TheHypnoToad said:

Streveler is going to get some NFL tryouts this winter on athletism alone.  Cyrious where it will tkae him, because the NFl will be looking at him as reciever only and he'd have t give up the QB dream.

QB movement this off-season may eclipse the wild QB moves of last offseason 😳😳

Where are you getting this from?  Is it your own opinion or have you heard something from a credible source?  I personally don't see him getting any interest from the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, TheHypnoToad said:

Streveler is going to get some NFL tryouts this winter on athletism alone.  Cyrious where it will tkae him, because the NFl will be looking at him as reciever only and he'd have t give up the QB dream.

QB movement this off-season may eclipse the wild QB moves of last offseason 😳😳

He will get none. At least not as a qb. He is nowhere near an NFL qb. The guy is an athlete & perhaps he could be a receiver down there.

ALSO....Strev has stated in media in his college city, as well as here too I believe that he likes and appreciates the opportunity Canada (Wpg) gave him and is more than happy and focusing on being best QB he can be here and wants a long career in Canada doing so...he won't have that in NFL and truly loves playing in WPG....So if we choose to sign him back here...this is where he will play

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I noticed something yesterday. Whenever Collaros was looking at his device on the sidelines, he & Nichols were into what looked like some deep strategy discussions. Streveler was sitting beside them but never said a word. At times he looked away almost disinterested. But he never got involved in the conversation offering his opinion which I thought was strange.  He never said a word while the other 2 were talking. I don't think he has a handle on or understands reading a defense. Although in Streveler's defense we don't know what they were looking at on the sidelines. 

Your insinuation is that he is an idiot despite the fact he has proven himself to be a very cerebral person. One day that young man will get an OC and QB coach that let's him really play QB and you're going to see that he has skills he doesn't get to showcase here on a consistent basis.

Collaros and Nichols have well over a decade of experience between them and Lapo treats them completely different from Streveler.

When Lapo looks at Streveler he sees a ball-handling battering ram and that's how he uses him and Streveler knows it so what's the use at this point in the season?  Every play Lapo has designed for Streveler is of the quick-hitter variety -- look for primary and if it isn't there, tuck it and run.

I hate to say it but he probably needs to be traded to a team like Ottawa or Toronto where we might get a chance to develop properly. He needs to get away from Lapo. Lapo does not develop QBs. Never has.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I'm totally fine with Nichols next year....or Collaros.....but I think there NEEDS to be a veteran of some kind there. Back up can be Strev or McGuire...whatever. But NEED to have a vet starter...you won't win without it.

I'd like to see McGuire get a chance to develop. He doesn't bring what Streveler does as a running qb nor is he as physical but he looks like a kid who could develop into a good one if he gets a chance to play.  Sitting on our PR next year not playing will not help him. 

3 minutes ago, J5V said:

Your insinuation is that he is an idiot despite the fact he has proven himself to be a very cerebral person. One day that young man will get an OC and QB coach that let's him really play QB and you're going to see that he has skills he doesn't get to showcase here on a consistent basis.

Collaros and Nichols have well over a decade of experience between them and Lapo treats them completely different from Streveler.

When Lapo looks at Streveler he sees a ball-handling battering ram and that's how he uses him and Streveler knows it so what's the use at this point in the season?  Every play Lapo has designed for Streveler is of the quick-hitter variety -- look for primary and if it isn't there, tuck it and run.

I hate to say it but he probably needs to be traded to a team like Ottawa or Toronto where we might get a chance to develop properly. He needs to get away from Lapo. Lapo does not develop QBs. Never has.

I never said he's an idiot. C'mon man. I said he may be having a hard time reading defenses. Why do you have to twist what I said into insinuating he's stupid? I said nothing of the sort. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

there is a lot of moving parts in this equation for next year and the events that we've witnessed has only muddied the water, in my opinion...

for starters, I believe Collaros takes his playoff bonus check and politely goes his own way, i.e. back to Toronto...

Nichols will show his hand and desire to stay in Winnipeg by the amount of money he asks for with his new contract... they may very well be a 'sweet spot' in the numbers that would convince Walters that he is the way to go... we all know that O'Shea would be all for it... Nichols being a 'bargain' is the only way I see him realistically staying in Winnipeg... it may come down to a situation where he is offered a take or leave contract that he may just have to take if all other slots are full...

I think we'd consider Masoli, but, I don't think he'd be interested in playing for the Bombers in Lapo's system, but...

as much as I thought that Lapo kind of blindly drove us through the last game, I was a little shocked as to the number of times Lapo let Collaros go deep... if Lapo would quit drinking his own kool aid maybe he could become the genius everyone else thinks he is... I still don't understand his use of personnel though, including WRs... some of the routes he had Darvin running has to make you wonder what he's thinking... best case scenario would be that Lapo moves on and the change brings hope in the form of a new QB...

I think that Streveler knows where he is relative to being ready to actually be a QB1... I think it will be easy to sign him with the idea that he would have a more prominent role in the offense while growing his own skill sets to one day becoming a real QB1... I also think that he and Nichols are pretty chumy and if Nichols does leave it could upset the chemistry we currently have between the two and influence his decision somewhat...

but in the end, I think it will all be determined more out of necessity than desire as the first domino that falls will more than likely dictate how the rest of them topple... hopefully that first one goes early so we can begin some sort of strategy to make the best team we can... 

as far as coaches, I think it will boil down to whether or not they want to continue being here as management will be willing to extent them based upon playoff results alone...

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I never said he's an idiot. C'mon man. I said he may be having a hard time reading defenses. Why do you have to twist what I said into insinuating he's stupid? I said nothing of the sort. 

Apologies. I must have misread you.

A guy working on a master's degree is certainly capable of reading a defense. Sure defenses can be tricky and they're often designed to confuse a QB just like ours did to BLM recently. That doesn't mean he can't read a defense and look how much experience Bo has. 

Streveler needs experience at doing something other than playing dump truck and until he gets away from Lapo and maybe Pierce that will never happen. 

18 minutes ago, J5V said:

Streveler is a free agent at the end of this season so the window to realistically trade him is closed.  Personally I hope we can convince him to re-sign here and that he gets some decent coaching under a new OC and QB coach so he can rise to his potential as a CFL starter here. Exciting, dynamic player with lots of physical attributes and great upside on this wide field.

Edited by Doublezero

50 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I noticed something yesterday. Whenever Collaros was looking at his device on the sidelines, he & Nichols were into what looked like some deep strategy discussions. Streveler was sitting beside them but never said a word. At times he looked away almost disinterested. But he never got involved in the conversation offering his opinion which I thought was strange.  He never said a word while the other 2 were talking. I don't think he has a handle on or understands reading a defense.

when the more likely situation is he's listening to what 2 more experienced players are saying and seeing and absorbing that information. 

Your vendetta against Streveler is a bit much. Give him a real offensive coordinator who can properly use people of different talents and watch him explode. 

1 hour ago, Pigskin said:

McGuire could be an excellent QB in the CFL, but will Winnipeg ever give him a chance?

I think most bomber fans knew ZC8 could play and was as good or better then Nichols. II think the only ? was could he take another big hit.

Next year is forever away. We have no certainty at qb or coaching but that doesnt matter on this side of a grey cup. He will forsure get a chance to win a spot on the roster next tc. Thats all he can ask. 

ZC comments in the pre season had things looking as dark as it gets. Getting knocked out on the first series of the season after soo many injuries he seemed soo done. Mentally and physically. The renaissance he has under gone is insane. Ive never been more happy to be more wrong about any thing. 

Zachs great deep ball has kept us in the play offs. I feel like he can still do better then weve seen in this offense, but he gives us the best chance to win at qb that weve seen in a very long time.