Bombers acquire Zach Collaros

Mike

48 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

So...what do we think now?  IMO Collaros has got us further than either Nichols or Streveler could.    

Quite frankly I'm thinking the 1st rounder might be worth it. 

Depends on how he plays in the big game... if he steps up then it'll be a tough decision.     Watching today he's clearly waaaaay more elusive then Nichols in the pocket and slipping around defenders to gain a few seconds to make his throws. 

On 2019-10-09 at 3:36 PM, White Out said:

This is a gamble I can get behind. We had to. Nichols is not coming back, and Streveler is not a CFL Qb. You cant just throw away a whole season when you can gamble on ZC. Tape him up, give him extra padding in his helmet ,and pray to christ he can do something on offence. People jumping in with their negativity need to pipe down.

God this post aged so well

58 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

So...what do we think now?  IMO Collaros has got us further than either Nichols or Streveler could.    

When I first heard that we had signed Collaros I thought it was a big mistake. I couldn't have been more wrong.

On 2019-10-18 at 7:37 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Kraemer was the third string Bomber qb having led the Bisons to the Vanier Cup in 1970.  He was the holder for Jonas in 1971 & every once in awhile he'd do the fake FG attempt & throw the ball. He was a pretty decent receiver as well. He retired as a second year player after the 1972 season. No one knew why. He just never came back after that season ended. Big mystery. 

Let me solve the mystery for you. Bobby Kraemer become a committed Christian and felt a higher calling  ... to start Athletes in Action.  https://p2c.com/bob-kraemer-70s-post/     

Matthias Goossen was the spiritual leader for Blue Bomber Christians before he felt called by God to become a policeman. 

You might be surprised at how many devout Christian CFL players there have been and are, and how this has affected the moves and trades by some coaches and players in the CFL over the years.  It explains the Wally Buono and Hufnagel connection for example.  Pinball Clemons, Milt Stegall,  Anthony Calvillo , Henry Burris, Kerry Joseph. coaches Dave Ritchie and the deceased Richard Harris, and now Cody Fadjardo  and a host of others make decisions of where to go and what to do based on where they feel God is leading them.  

Every year Athletes In Action hosts a breakfast at the Grey Cup that always sells out. 

https://greycupbreakfast.ca/    

Btw, one year Athletes In Action organized a  CFL vs NFL flag football game  which both sides took very seriously, and the CFL won  :)  

Also, one reason Henry Burris was so offended when he was criticized by Milt Stegall a couple of years ago  was because they share the same faith. Milt  felt that, even if they are Christian brothers, he had to be honest and challenge him to be more mature. 

Edited by In Motion

Happy to call myself out for being wrong about Collaros.

I didn't think the Riders should have re-signed him this year. I definitely thought he was done when he got hurt again. I definitely didn't think the Argos should trade for him and certainly not us. Then I assumed he wouldn't actually play for us.

Well, he did, and had taken us farther than I think we would have gone without him. When he made that one play to Adams against Calgary in his first start, I knew it was an amazing play, also didn't expect to see it again. But he just keeps doing it.

I still don't know if I trust his health long term, and I can still see him heading back east in FA, but he sure looks damn good right now.

52 minutes ago, Sammy225 said:

If things go well I don't mind resigning Collaros but we need to make sure we have a suitable backup in place. Can't ignore the years of injuries.

When was the last time we had a suitable back up?  One that could come in for the #1 and not skip a beat? 

8 hours ago, Brandon said:

Depends on how he plays in the big game... if he steps up then it'll be a tough decision.     Watching today he's clearly waaaaay more elusive then Nichols in the pocket and slipping around defenders to gain a few seconds to make his throws. 

It's like watching Tom Clements play again. The 2 players are so similar. 

On 2019-10-09 at 9:14 PM, pigseye said:

Great move, I can see them platooning Collaros and Streveler, not overplaying either guy, Collaros will give you that situational experience that you need from a vet and Streveler can go back to being the gung ho type of player he is. Walters just may have saved the season for a 3rd round pick, take that any day and twice on Sundays. 

Thanks for reminding me sweep the leg, lucky guess. 

30 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

When was the last time we had a suitable back up?  One that could come in for the #1 and not skip a beat? 

But that is the issue. With the number if QBs available i don't know if it would be wise to go with the one that is often injured even if he does win us a cup. I would look at Arbuckle or Masoli IMO.

54 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

If your backup can come in and not skip a beat, he's a starter.  There's a reason that it doesn't happen very often.  When it does, it forces a change the QB situation.  Watch what happens in Hamilton and Calgary.  Welcome to life in a salary cap age.

10 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

Might be. There are so many moving parts in the off season in terms of free agents and QB's in particular. Collaros has pretty strong ties to the Toronto area, so I'm not sure playing in Winnipeg is an option for him regardless of the outcome of the Grey Cup. 

I'm just going to enjoy the ride. His QB play has been better than any other Bomber QB's this season. His vision, pocket awareness and arm have been very good. I like our chances going into the Grey Cup! 

Edited by M.Silverback

2 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

If your backup can come in and not skip a beat, he's a starter.  There's a reason that it doesn't happen very often.  When it does, it forces a change the QB situation.  Watch what happens in Hamilton and Calgary.  Welcome to life in a salary cap age.

True but your back up must be capable to run the entire playbook with a certain level of success. Unfortunately Streveler can't.  Maybe McGuire? 

I like Collaros....you can even tell by his comments during interviews that he's a student of the game and he is a gifted athlete on top of it.   He is nimble of foot and can buy some time with his feet.   He looks down the field for his receivers and doesn't seem to lock on to his primary,    He made some beautiful throws yesterday to get us out of deep holes....like when we were on the 3 yard line and in less than 5 plays we had a TD.    I don't see Nicholls or Streveler making those plays.....plus the fact that he ran for a first down late in the game and then left the field and Streveler took over.     Streveler didn't seem right physically and the Riders pretty much nullified him other than his 3rd and short runs which he almost always converts into a first down.    I was hoping Streveler would help him out a bit more and in fact it might have been better to leave him in.    He has won us 3 straight games against all odds......wouldn't it be a miracle if he pulled another W out for us to end our Grey Cup drought once and for all?   
The guy has experience and skills and if he manages to help this team take out the CFL's version of Goliath it will be a fitting end to our season like no other.....win or lose, Collaros is a keeper imho!