Bombers acquire Zach Collaros

Mike

5 hours ago, Booch said:

Have to disagree there..Moon was barely a 50% passer his first 3 years with 54.7% being his best year...double digit INT's 2 of 3 years as well...Clements as well his first 2 years was a under 60% as a passer...threw INT's in the teens his first 4 years..never eclipsed 2900 yards his first 5 seasoned and that was playing 16 games as well, Flutie came into league with 5 years of pro experience with USFL and NFL so can hardly even put him in that conversation...Reilly had 2 seasons in league backing up before he became a starter with middling numbers and save for a last chance pre-seaso game was almost cut..Bo levi was a 3rd stringer for his first year and a half before he got his chance to start....learning this game and the position.

So looking back none of the mentioned other than Ricky Ray came in with zero experience as a pro and was thrust into a starter role and took off with their feet running...especially with only 2 years experience at the college level prior to turning pro..so his learning curve is waaayyyy bigger than the norm and his advancement is rather spectacular when you look at it all things considered, especially with pressures of a team on a 29 yr drought and in a bigtime playoff battle

Reilly...Bo..all served several years as a back-up and Clements and Moon didn't light the world on fire until 3-4 years into their starting career

Back in the days of Clements playing in Ottawa most CFL passers weren't 60% passers. There weren't a lot of the possession type throws we see now. Quarterbacks challenged the field vertically far more than they do now. If you look at Don Jonas stats in 1971 when he won the Schenley Award as CFL's MOP he threw for 4036 yards. He completed only 52% of his passes with 27 tds & 31 interceptions. Those stats won him a Schenley but his stats were by today's standards, terrible.  Football was a different game back then. 

3 hours ago, gcn11 said:

What else are you going to say when you have Milt though. Sure it doesn't take a genius to figure that out, but it does demonstrate that when Lapo has a guy who can do it he takes advantage.

Given all the talk there was about how Milt and Khari were simply on the same page and read the field the same way I'd really be hesitant to credit Lapo for much of anything. Especially when the other weapon for the offense was Charles "Make people miss in a phone booth" Roberts. 

I probably could have put a good offensive game plan together with Stegall, Bruce, Roberts and Sellers and Khari available. 

9 hours ago, M.Silverback said:

Good reminders that it is normal for a QB to take some time to develop in pro football. And I am in the camp that I think Steveler could be a good starting CFL QB. That said, if I'm Kyle Walters, I'd still consider multiple options next year at QB. Unless we go a run in the playoffs and win the Grey Cup, there's no way I'd sit back and just say we're going with Nichols or Streveler. Any and all options - Masoli, Evans, unknown QB, Sean (jerry) McGuire ... I'd take the position if we're one and done in the playoffs that the QB job is basically open. 

That's fair. Looking at this team my priority would be on getting some stud receivers in here. We dont have a Duke Williams, Reggie Begelton type. A couple of those would make any QB look good.  🙂

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Back in the days of Clements playing in Ottawa most CFL passers weren't 60% passers. There weren't a lot of the possession type throws we see now. Quarterbacks challenged the field vertically far more than they do now. If you look at Don Jonas stats in 1971 when he won the Schenley Award as CFL's MOP he threw for 4036 yards. He completed only 52% of his passes with 27 tds & 31 interceptions. Those stats won him a Schenley but his stats were by today's standards, terrible.  Football was a different game back then. 

He had Jim Thorpe to throw to  and Mack Herron to hand the ball off to. Hell of a 1-2 punch. I wish we had a Jim Thorpe now. 

45 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Given all the talk there was about how Milt and Khari were simply on the same page and read the field the same way I'd really be hesitant to credit Lapo for much of anything. Especially when the other weapon for the offense was Charles "Make people miss in a phone booth" Roberts. 

I probably could have put a good offensive game plan together with Stegall, Bruce, Roberts and Sellers and Khari available. 

Duh, yeah! Lol!

59 minutes ago, J5V said:

He had Jim Thorpe to throw to  and Mack Herron to hand the ball off to. Hell of a 1-2 punch. I wish we had a Jim Thorpe now. 

He had some weapons like Flanker Thorpe,  Herron, Fullback Ed Williams, TE Paul Markle, wingbacks Paul Williams, Pete Ribbins & Bobby Kraemer as well as split end Bob Larose & still was just a 50% passer. I loved Don Jonas. When he was hot, he was on fire. But when he struggled, it was like a cold wind was blowing thru Canad Inns Stadium. Jonas was very much a rhythm qb. If he had a string of completions early then usually he'd play well. If not, he did have struggles with his confidence. He was a high risk, high reward qb always pushing the ball deep downfield. His stats bear that out.  LaPo's offense is nothing about high risk, high reward. It's all about spreading the ball around & ball control offense. Jonas could have been a 65% passer in LaPo's offense but he wouldn't have been happy. Jonas was a gunslinger who loved to make the ball fly. Not checking down to his tailback. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He had some weapons like Flanker Thorpe,  Fullback Ed Williams, TE Paul Markle, wingbacks Paul Williams, Pete Ribbins & Bobby Kraemer as well as split end Bob Larose & still was just a 50% passer. I loved Don Jonas. When he was hot, he was on fire. But when he struggled, it was like a cold wind was blowing thru Canad Inns Stadium. Jonas was very much a rhythm qb. If he had a string of completions early then usually he'd play well. If not, he did have struggles with his confidence. He was a high risk, high reward qb always pushing the ball deep downfield. His stats bear that out.  LaPo's offense is nothing about high risk, high reward. It's all about spreading the ball around & ball control offense. Jonas may have been a 65% passer in LaPo's offense but he wouldn't have been happy. Jonas was a gunslinger who loved to make the ball fly. 

I remember those days well and Bob Larose was no joke. Thorpe's athleticism was a special treat to behold, that man could go get a ball,  and Mack Herron was simply incredible given his size. Memories.

1 minute ago, J5V said:

I remember those days well and Bob Larose was no joke. Thorpe's athleticism was a special treat to behold, that man could go get a ball,  and Mack Herron was simply incredible given his size. Memories.

Kraemer was the third string Bomber qb having led the Bisons to the Vanier Cup in 1970.  He was the holder for Jonas in 1971 & every once in awhile he'd do the fake FG attempt & throw the ball. He was a pretty decent receiver as well. He retired as a second year player after the 1972 season. No one knew why. He just never came back after that season ended. Big mystery. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Kraemer was the third string Bomber qb having led the Bisons to the Vanier Cup in 1970.  He was the holder for Jonas in 1971 & every once in awhile he'd do the fake FG attempt & throw the ball. He was a pretty decent receiver as well. He retired as a second year player after the 1972 season. No one knew why. He just never came back after that season ended. Big mystery. 

I remember that. Jonas had skills. My first J5V was a Don Jonas signed ball that I got when I ran track at Polo Park oh so many years, and a few pounds, ago. Got to shake hands with the man. My gawd, his hands were enormous! He could throw a ball an awful long way. Deiter Brock reminded me of Don Jonas in terms of arm strength. Both of those guys could throw a ball on a rope to the sidelines with little effort. I don't think people realize the arm strength it takes to do that. Another of the big differences in our game compared to the NFL.

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It was said Brock could throw a football through a fully running car wash & the ball wouldn't get wet.  Which was all hype & untrue. In his book, Dieter claimed he once threw the ball 85 yards in practice when he was an LA Ram. 

I heard him on the radio saying in practice he once threw a wind-aided ball 100 yards.

19 minutes ago, Tracker said:

If memory serves, Brock had an average arm but really worked at strengthening by tossing shot-put balls.

Your memory is failing you. His arm was never average. It was a rocket. One of the strongest ever in all of pro football. He was throwing weighted balls in college. He had his own private way to work out just like Walter Payton had his hill. 

59 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Your memory is failing you. His arm was never average. It was a rocket. One of the strongest ever in all of pro football. He was throwing weighted balls in college. He had his own private way to work out just like Walter Payton had his hill. 

Michael Bishop. Biggest cannon ever

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

As I said.....However, I recently bought slippers with memory foam in them, so I would be able to remember why the heck I I went to the kitchen.

Edited by Tracker

2 hours ago, gcn11 said:

I saw Brock throw a ball through the uprights from midfield in pre-game...from his knees. Not wind aided either.

Got to tell you my favorite Brock memory - Lived in Dallas at the time but my wife is from the Peg. Came up late fall one year and my in laws took me to the game. First time I had see a CFL wide field. Wow! In any event it was in the first quarter and the bombers had the ball on the right hash mark. Brock dropped back and faded to his right then threw across the field to the left side stripes - must have been 40-50 yrds or so maybe more. I was sitting right in front of the receiver only a few rows up. Don't remember who the receiver was at the time. The ball never was higher than probably 8 ft or so - perfect spiral! the ball hit the receiver with such force it knocked him down. There was no D Back around him! Never ever saw an arm like Brock had never will again!

On 2019-10-18 at 9:41 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

It was said Brock could throw a football through a fully running car wash & the ball wouldn't get wet.  Which was all hype & untrue. In his book, Dieter claimed he once threw the ball 85 yards in practice when he was an LA Ram. 

Obviously the car wash was running, they just had the water turned off lol.

On 2019-10-21 at 9:22 AM, gcn11 said:

I saw Brock throw a ball through the uprights from midfield in pre-game...from his knees. Not wind aided either.

We saw bishop throw one from his goal line one leg on the ground body nearly parallel to the ground 60 yards for a giant play against us when he was an argo. 

Brock had the best arm of his era and 2ks prior by a good margin. But it's no comparison. Modern athleticism has lead to a significant velocity strike and not just in football