Bombers acquire Zach Collaros

Mike

9 hours ago, blueingreenland said:

I am asking an honest question here...but what "far, far worse QB's than Streveler have won Grey Cups"? Can you name 3 please? ( And don't include Kerry Joseph as he won the cup in 2007 and was the league MVP that year). 

Generally you need a decent QB to win the cup. Our last 2 Grey Cup QB's were Sean Salisbury and Tom Burgess, but they certainly weren't "far, far worse".

Crandell...Salsbury...just off top of my head without even thinking much..I'd say Burgess too as he was limited skillwise but relied on smarts..

9 hours ago, blueingreenland said:

I am asking an honest question here...but what "far, far worse QB's than Streveler have won Grey Cups"? Can you name 3 please? ( And don't include Kerry Joseph as he won the cup in 2007 and was the league MVP that year). 

Generally you need a decent QB to win the cup. Our last 2 Grey Cup QB's were Sean Salisbury and Tom Burgess, but they certainly weren't "far, far worse".

Yea  Joseph was a one hit wonder and he beat Dinwiddie in 2007, so definitely he is in there as a far far worse Qb...he was a safety in the NFL before getting here...

Edited by bb1

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

No. 

Yes.

Im not sure who their OC was back when Calgary beat us in the Grey Cup 2001, but Buono was the HC of a 8-10 team. Calgary beat the Bombers because both teams thought the Bombers were better. However, their game plan was much better than ours with Marcus Crandall at QB. Marcus Crandall. Yikes. We played like we thought we were the better team, but Calgary proved us wrong.

5 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Yes.

Im not sure who their OC was back when Calgary beat us in the Grey Cup 2001, but Buono was the HC of a 8-10 team. Calgary beat the Bombers because both teams thought the Bombers were better. However, their game plan was much better than ours with Marcus Crandall at QB. Marcus Crandall. Yikes. We played like we thought we were the better team, but Calgary proved us wrong.

Lets be real, the bombers were celebrating the entire week leading up to the GC as if they already won and came in ill prepared and over confident. Calgary performed and the bombers coasted. Even then the game was close and an ultra rare block on bob camerons punt was the play that won the game for the stumps. 

6 hours ago, bb1 said:

Yea  Joseph was a one hit wonder and he beat Dinwiddie in 2007, so definitely he is in there as a far far worse Qb...he was a safety in the NFL before getting here...

He was kinda like streveler, only much older and with out upside. Loved the heart and toughness he played with. Not a guy I ever pined for to qb the blue though. 

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Lets be real, the bombers were celebrating the entire week leading up to the GC as if they already won and came in ill prepared and over confident. Calgary performed and the bombers coasted. Even then the game was close and an ultra rare block on bob camerons punt was the play that won the game for the stumps. 

This a thousand times over. The Bombers thought all they had to do was show up & the Stamps would fall over in awe from their greatness.  Dave Ritchie did nothing to stop the nonsense by his players. The Bombers should have been champions that year. 

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

This a thousand times over. The Bombers thought all they had to do was show up & the Stamps would fall over in awe from their greatness.  Dave Ritchie did nothing to stop the nonsense by his players. The Bombers should have been champions that year. 

Ritchie was the ultimate players coach in that era. Like mos today. It was a tremendous mistake, especially to underestimate a wally led team in that era. They didnt even wake up at half time. That team was soo much better then the rest of the league in 01 if they woke up at half time they probably still would have won in a route. But once you take your foot off the gas, good luck. 

Ritchie especially lifted off the gas hard at the end of the regular season. 

6 hours ago, Booch said:

Crandell...Salsbury...just off top of my head without even thinking much..I'd say Burgess too as he was limited skillwise but relied on smarts..

Crandell was a vet who got on something like a five game hot streak, reg season & playoffs & he played lights out. So, have to give him props for playing in the moment. Salisbury was nothing special but he didn't make many mistakes &  handled the pressure very well in the playoffs & Grey Cup in 88. But he had a great defense backing him up & a monster in Rod Hill making huge plays like blocking punts in the 88 East Final & Mike Grey deflecting passes on the goal line in the Grey Cup. Burgess great game manager & didn't turn the ball over much & had an even better defense behind him in 90 than he had in 88.  That defense dismantled a vaunted Esks team that year piece by piece. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Ritchie was the ultimate players coach in that era. Like mos today. It was a tremendous mistake, especially to underestimate a wally led team in that era. They didnt even wake up at half time. That team was soo much better then the rest of the league in 01 if they woke up at half time they probably still would have won in a route. But once you take your foot off the gas, good luck. 

That Stampeder team still had a core of experienced veterans from their 1998 championship team as well as 99 Grey Cup finalist team. Huge mistake to underestimate them the way the Bombers did. Still pisses me off thinking about that missed opportunity.

11 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

As a Head Coach, he blew it. 

11 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Crandell was a vet who got on something like a five game hot streak, reg season & playoffs & he played lights out. So, have to give him props for playing in the moment. Salisbury was nothing special but he didn't make many mistakes &  handled the pressure very well in the playoffs & Grey Cup in 88. But he had a great defense backing him up & a monster in Rod Hill making huge plays like blocking punts in the 88 East Final & Mike Grey deflecting passes on the goal line in the Grey Cup. Burgess great game manager & didn't turn the ball over much & had an even better defense behind him in 90 than he had in 88.  That defense dismantled a vaunted Esks team that year piece by piece. 

Salsbury was brutal...I believe he was an under 50 percent or just at 50 percent passer...and no escapability whatsoever...Crandell was prone to dumb mistakes..over and over and wasn't deemed "too intelligent" from what I know and have talked to...Burgess very pedestrian and lack luster....those three don't have skillset or intelligence that Strev has, all they have on him is experience...and that's what he is learning now.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Well let's not forget the 3 missed FG's from Troy Westwood that game too.

32 minutes ago, captaincanuck12 said:

Well let's not forget the 3 missed FG's from Troy Westwood that game too.

Also a good point, but to be fair, westy was never a great kicker. Iirc his best year was an 80% rate. he did make a couple big kicks but yeah. 

16 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

And Bob Cameron of all people had a punt blocked. 

That was a huge blow, and not bobs fault but he was the best ever in terms of speed at getting the ball out. 

3 hours ago, Booch said:

Salsbury was brutal...I believe he was an under 50 percent or just at 50 percent passer...and no escapability whatsoever...Crandell was prone to dumb mistakes..over and over and wasn't deemed "too intelligent" from what I know and have talked to...Burgess very pedestrian and lack luster....those three don't have skillset or intelligence that Strev has, all they have on him is experience...and that's what he is learning now.

You base that intelligence level on what?  Nine starts, Booch? He hasn't shown any intelligence level superior to any of those guys you mention yet. I say, yet... as he could develop into a starting qb or... not.  However, at this time I'm not ready to anoint him superior in the brain game to any of those 3 guys who played before him.

You keep mentioning that Streveler is intelligent. You read that somewhere & have attached that monicker to him on several occasions like it's some kind of Red Badge Of Courage. Where is this superior intellect?  I don't see it. Others have picked up the game faster than him. Like Ricky Ray, Bo Levi Mitchell, Mike Reilly, Doug Flutie, Tom Clements & Warren Moon. All I see is a second year pro who is prone to making mistakes throwing the ball who is struggling on the field at times. He's still a kid playing a man's game.

He's shown to be no more intelligent than any other inexperienced back up qb in the CFL at present or have come before him. I see a player with unlimited potential & athletic ability off the charts but average when it comes to picking up the Canadian game.  He ain't ready for prime time yet. Hopefully, he will be someday. He's all we got so we have to ride with him as far as he can go. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27