Bombers acquire Zach Collaros

Mike

I see Chris Streveler with the same upside as Ken Hobart. Everybody kept waiting for Hobart to grow as a passer but it never happened but he was a beast as a running qb. Big, tough & physical. Never amounted to much other than being a career back up for the Ti Cats because he couldn't throw.

Strevler can throw..not sure why people are on this cant throw train..but when u have minimal practice reps with deeper balls..and chemistry with your receivers.. u get ups and downs...as the game has slowed for him and he has been less panicky and high strong.. his passing gas improved and he has a pretty good completion percentage last several games..give it time..he is basically gaining experience and instinctive reaction tendancies now as most other guys have gathered throughout 4 years of college and first year or 2 of pro..his only being a true QB and a starter at that for basically 3 years now has him behind the curve a bit..and this is huge..all things considered he is developing pretty good in this bizzare offence..and really should have a winning record as a starter this year if we didnt give 2 of his starts away

41 minutes ago, Booch said:

Strevler can throw..not sure why people are on this cant throw train..but when u have minimal practice reps with deeper balls..and chemistry with your receivers.. u get ups and downs...as the game has slowed for him and he has been less panicky and high strong.. his passing gas improved and he has a pretty good completion percentage last several games..give it time..he is basically gaining experience and instinctive reaction tendancies now as most other guys have gathered throughout 4 years of college and first year or 2 of pro..his only being a true QB and a starter at that for basically 3 years now has him behind the curve a bit..and this is huge..all things considered he is developing pretty good in this bizzare offence..and really should have a winning record as a starter this year if we didnt give 2 of his starts away

Plus he doesn't get plays and routes designed for deep throws. We saw a bunch of drops against MTL, and we don't have a guy we can go to on 50/50 deep balls.

His ball placement has been really good giving guys the chance to catch and run far more then we've seen in the past.

He needs to improve his consistency throwing catchable Balls on the run but he's improving and young. 

He wants and tries to create TDs in the red zone and has given up turn overs trying too hard. But I'll take those learning lumps with that aggression.

Guys, all I see on his deep throws are mostly misses. He can't complete them like other starting qbs can. His accuracy isn't there on a lot of throws whether short, intermediate or deep. When Streveler throws his body seems tight & not relaxed like other qbs. When he does get the deep ball to a receiver they invariably can't make the catch.  We play guys who shouldn't play or are coaches favourites. Bailey & Peterman should have been starting all season yet they languished on the bench. Wolitarsky  goes entire games without being used. This offense is so damned frustrating to watch & is so badly coached.  The way we use our personnel just sucks. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, Booch said:

he is basically gaining experience and instinctive reaction tendancies now as most other guys have gathered throughout 4 years of college and first year or 2 of pro..his only being a true QB and a starter at that for basically 3 years now has him behind the curve a bit..and this is huge..all things considered he is developing pretty good in this bizzare offence.

I’d agree with this take on Streveler. We have a lot of balls in the air with the QB situation, contracts and injuries, but I sure hope he gets a chance to develop beyond a controlled offence. 
He can throw the ball. He made several crucial completions to help us win that last game.

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Guys, all I see on his deep throws are mostly misses. He can't complete them like other starting qbs can. His accuracy isn't there on a lot of throws whether short, intermediate or deep. When Streveler throws his body seems tight & not relaxed like other qbs. When he does get the deep ball to a receiver they invariably can't make the catch.  We play guys who shouldn't play or are coaches favourites. Bailey & Peterman should have been starting all season yet they languished on the bench. Wolitarsky  goes entire games without being used. This offense is so damned frustrating to watch & is so badly coached.  The way we use our personnel just sucks. 

I saw Darvin Adams drop an an easy catch, I saw Bailey make nice catches down the field. 

Maybe instead of Streveler you should think about our OC and receiving core. Mike Reilly wouldn’t be hitting our guys on deep balls. 

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I see Chris Streveler with the same upside as Ken Hobart. Everybody kept waiting for Hobart to grow as a passer but it never happened but he was a beast as a running qb. Big, tough & physical. Never amounted to much other than being a career back up for the Ti Cats because he couldn't throw.

Really? Hobart looked like this?

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So with crappy play calling and without receivers that can catch the ball what do you want from him? He hits guys right in the hands and they can't make the catch. No, he's not Ricky Ray, not yet, but he gets the ball to his receivers. It's up to them to catch it. Even sure-handed Woli has dropped a few this year. Give him a good game plan and solid receivers and watch what he can do. Quit studying his mechanics and saying he's no good. 

2 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

I saw Darvin Adams drop an an easy catch, I saw Bailey make nice catches down the field. 

Maybe instead of Streveler you should think about our OC and receiving core. Mike Reilly wouldn’t be hitting our guys on deep balls. 

I think about our OC all the time & dream that he takes a job with another team 

1 hour ago, J5V said:

So with crappy play calling and without receivers that can catch the ball what do you want from him? He hits guys right in the hands and they can't make the catch. No, he's not Ricky Ray, not yet, but he gets the ball to his receivers. It's up to them to catch it. Even sure-handed Woli has dropped a few this year. Give him a good game plan and solid receivers and watch what he can do. Quit studying his mechanics and saying he's no good. 

Well, a qb without mechanics isn't a qb. Fundamentals. Fundamentals. Fundamentals. 

24 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Well, a qb without mechanics isn't a qb. Fundamentals. Fundamentals. Fundamentals. 

I used to believe this too but the funny thing about mechanics is that a player can be too ... mechanical. As long as he gets the ball there I'm happy, that's really all that matters to me.

11 minutes ago, J5V said:

I used to believe this too but the funny thing about mechanics is that a player can be too ... mechanical. As long as he gets the ball there I'm happy, that's really all that matters to me.

What qb was too mechanical? You either have it or you don't.  Having said that,luck & timing have a lot to do with it as well. Playing on a great team. Surrounded by great players & coaches. A winning culture. It's more than just mechanics. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

What qb was too mechanical? You either have it or you don't. 

I've seen plenty of players that "had it" but maybe didn't have the best mechanics. Natural ability and competitiveness are more valuable in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What qb was too mechanical? You either have it or you don't.  Having said that,luck & timing have a lot to do with it as well. Playing on a great team. Surrounded by great players & coaches. A winning culture. It's more than just mechanics. 

Agree that this all factors in. What's between a guys ears and beats in his chest means more than body mechanics. That's what I love about Streveler. Extremely intelligent from all reports and a burning desire to win.

Streveler has a weird throwing motion,  his arm is not my concern.  I find his mid range passes to be way more accurate then Nichols,   the ball seems to hit the player in the chest or in stride.   It's his decision making which is questionable but to be expected from a raw young QB.  I hope the team keeps him after this season but I'd like the club to go for Masoli in the off season because Chris still needs more time to grow.  

18 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Streveler has a weird throwing motion,  his arm is not my concern. It's his decision making which is questionable but to be expected from a raw young QB.  I hope the team keeps him after this season but I'd like the club to go for Masoli in the off season because Chris still needs more time to grow.  

This. Most reasonable Bomber fans understand that Streveler needs to improve a lot. Will he? I hope so. He's still pretty inexperienced. I'm not convinced that Streveler is our best option to win in the playoffs (i.e. Collaros)....but knowing O Shea it's do or die with Big Chris.

It will be an interesting off-season for the Bombers. Will they re-sign Streveler? Nichols? Or go after Masoli?

18 minutes ago, blueingreenland said:

This. Most reasonable Bomber fans understand that Streveler needs to improve a lot. Will he? I hope so. He's still pretty inexperienced. I'm not convinced that Streveler is our best option to win in the playoffs (i.e. Collaros)....but knowing O Shea it's do or die with Big Chris.

It will be an interesting off-season for the Bombers. Will they re-sign Streveler? Nichols? Or go after Masoli?

I think if the coaching staff remains the same so will our qbs. As will our offense. Nothing will change. 

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think if the coaching staff remains the same so will our qbs. As will our offense. Nothing will change. 

I suspect that one of the reasons Calgary does as well as they do, especially with QBs and the offense, is that both Hufnagel and Dickenson were QBs as players. I don't think it's coincidence that Montreal's surge in fortunes came when Khari, another former QB, took over. Others are/were Joe Paopao, Kent Austin, Jason Maas, Tom Clements, Danny Barrett, Matt Dunigan, June Jones, although admittedly not all were all that good.  :-)

16 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Its not his fault when the ball goes right between the hands of his WRs.