Bombers acquire Zach Collaros

Mike

Before final details are laid out and before we see what ZC's role on the team will be I'll hold back the comments and judgment. 

If this is strictly an insure deal I'm fine with it. Although if we would have made adjustments in the off season like bringing in someone other than Nichols maybe we wouldnt be in this situation.

If ZC is expected to start and carry this team.....I'm going into hiding...

I don't know why people are shitting on this trade.  Nichols is not a team player IMO (I say this because he seemed to like blaming everyone but himself when things go bad).

I like the idea of having a veteran qb who had some success to help calm and tutor Streveler in game in the moment.     Also in case of emergency we do have someone with experience.

The only way this is a fail of a trade is if the club expects him to start and if for some god awful reason they sign him next season and blow a first rounder.   I don't see neither of those bottom two things happening.

Veteran insurance for dropping two rounds isn't that bad.

15 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I don't know why people are shitting on this trade.  Nichols is not a team player IMO (I say this because he seemed to like blaming everyone but himself when things go bad).

I like the idea of having a veteran qb who had some success to help calm and tutor Streveler in game in the moment.     Also in case of emergency we do have someone with experience.

The only way this is a fail of a trade is if the club expects him to start and if for some god awful reason they sign him next season and blow a first rounder.   I don't see neither of those bottom two things happening.

Veteran insurance for dropping two rounds isn't that bad.

You're assuming Collaros wants to come here to be a tutor and that, in case of emergency, he won't break like glass. 

19 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

yeah but for how many plays until he gets another concussion? That's the issue with Collaros, any hit could be the one that puts him on the IR again. 

Same for any player. Agreed he has a bad history, but it doesn't mean he can't play. He can play. He was a very poor fit in Saskatchewan. He's better than nothing at this point. You're in the playoffs. He just has to win 2 games to get you to the final. That's doable. 

Great move, I can see them platooning Collaros and Streveler, not overplaying either guy, Collaros will give you that situational experience that you need from a vet and Streveler can go back to being the gung ho type of player he is. Walters just may have saved the season for a 3rd round pick, take that any day and twice on Sundays. 

35 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Sure, but we're a month away from the playoffs, now is not the time to be tutoring guys, if they felt Streveler wasn't ready, they should've gotten bona fide backup before the season started.

My biggest problem with this trade is Collaros is still injured - who knows when (or if) he'll return?

4766 yards passing, 17 TD passes, 20 interceptions in 23 games the past two seasons. That's 207 yards passing per game, with less than a TD per game and almost one turnover per game. ZC hasn't been good in quite some time. This doesn't help us. If they play him, he's been awful and he's a huge injury risk. Plus what evidence is there that he would be a good mentor?

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

Ya. There are so many legit #1 QBs with CFL pedigree sitting at home in October. I mean could have got Umm ya.. Umm Max Hall or Brian Brohm or Ya.. U know what... Reality.. Collaros is the best you can do right now. 

So why even bother ?......especially during the year of the " back up QB " ..   how many back ups have earned starts all ready for next year .... run with what we got...... Collaros signing is a joke

12 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

4766 yards passing, 17 TD passes, 20 interceptions in 23 games the past two seasons. That's 207 yards passing per game, with less than a TD per game and almost one turnover per game. ZC hasn't been good in quite some time. This doesn't help us. If they play him, he's been awful and he's a huge injury risk. Plus what evidence is there that he would be a good mentor?

Collaros makes some warm and fuzzy because his name is recognizable, but he truly has been awful since he returned in 2016 from having his knee wrecked in 2015.

17 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

So why even bother ?......especially during the year of the " back up QB " ..   how many back ups have earned starts all ready for next year .... run with what we got...... Collaros signing is a joke

What dont you understand. Theres 3 games left before the playoffs. After today, if Streveler gets hurt..then what? You go into the playoffs with McGuire and that's it? Maybe sign Bridge? If he wants to. At that point in time You've lost all negotiating power in every situation.

This gives them an option and guaranteed arm if needed. Hes not here to start. Hes a rental. Hes a back up. Your big chris is still the starter. 

Edited by Bigblue204

29 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

What dont you understand. Theres 3 games left before the playoffs. After today, if Streveler gets hurt..then what? You go into the playoffs with McGuire and that's it? Maybe sign Bridge? If he wants to. At that point in time You've lost all negotiating power in every situation.

This gives them an option and guaranteed arm if needed. Hes not here to start. Hes a rental. Hes a back up. Your big chris is still the starter. 

I get it..... but really,  that is all that there is to choose from ?....... I think that might be what is most disappointing for me... 

a lot of people thought Buck was done before he even signed here... the thought was always that he was 1 hit away from being finished, and we managed to get a few more seasons out of him (with some injury stints).  But if we can get a few games out of Collaros, I agree that moving down 2 rounds in the draft to bring in a veteran when he's really the only option that seemed to be available, isn't that bad of a move!