Osh is a Legend

Floyd

Just now, Mark F said:

Some people want to keep Mike, no matter what he does performance wise.

The team could go third, lose first game, and there are some people that would still keep him.

at the point, it's not related to the team's performance.

If he stays, no matter what happens this year, I'm okay with it. We could do worse. I just wouldn't hold out a lot of hope that things would change much. 

27 minutes ago, J5V said:

You're overreacting. O'Shea, and/or Lapo and Hall, could very well be gone after this season but that doesn't mean we immediately collapse into chaos and turmoil. Walters has done a decent job of upgrading the talent on this team, although I wish he had found some stud receivers, and a new HC and some new assistants might be a good thing. Some new approaches, different schemes, better roster management, and more flexibility and in-game adjustments to what other teams are doing, might be just the thing to put us over the top. Why be so negative about it?

Because it's a gamble that isn't worth taking. 

I mean yeah we could win big, or we could lose out and go down the drain. Why take that risk when we're already ahead in the game? Winning double digits for 4 years in a row... this is the most sustained success this team has had in ages! why gamble on that at this point in time? 

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I mean yeah we could win big, or we could lose out and go down the drain. Why take that risk when we're already ahead in the game? Winning double digits for 4 years in a row... this is the most sustained success this team has had in ages! why gamble on that at this point in time? 

You mean if we fire O'Shea for lack of playoff success? Well yeah, that could happen I suppose, but he may very well leave anyway, in which case we'd have to move on, but I don't see it happening. At minimum, I want to see Lapo gone. If Hall was relieved of his duties that wouldn't bother me either.

For me, if O'Shea leaves, we get a new head coach and new coordinators, and I'm okay with that. If O'Shea stays, I want Lapo gone and maybe Hall too or I won't be happy, unless we win a cup this year. Then no matter what happens I won't really care. Just win, baby.

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Well, have our level of expectations sunk that  low? No reason to break up the Ol' Gang as long as have winning regular seasons. Don't winning playoff wins  matter anymore?. What's the diff if we have another 10 win season if it means just an extra week in the playoffs? 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

well if he leaves on his own he leaves on his own, nothing to be done about that, but I'm talking about firing him. That's a gamble I want no part of at this point in time. 

The only reason for firing O'Shea would have to be lack of playoff success. If that happens it is a self-inflicted wound and therefore deserved because he wouldn't upgrade his coordinators. 

12 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Well, have our level of expectations sunk that  low? No reason to break up the Ol' Gang as long as have winning regular seasons. Don't winning playoff wins  matter anymore?. What's the diff if we have another 10 win season if it means just an extra week in the playoffs? 

O'Shea has done enough good things to remain as head coach. The problem is that because of his stubbornness he has hurt the team enough to be fired. For me, in order for O'Shea to stay, he has to be over-ruled regarding his loyalty to Lapo and Hall. One or both of them need to be gone. If O'Shea insists on keeping both of them, then he needs to go to.

Edited by J5V

12 hours ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Who do you want as head coach if O'Shea decides he wants to head back east and signs with the Argos?

That's the thing! There is NOBODY better available (I'm not convinced Khari is better... But he'd be the only guy I'd want). Every other team in the league would want Osh as an HC. It's only our insane, can't-ever-be-happy "fans" that want him gone. 

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

That's the thing! There is NOBODY better available (I'm not convinced Khari is better... But he'd be the only guy I'd want). Every other team in the league would want Osh as an HC. It's only our insane, can't-ever-be-happy "fans" that want him gone. 

I would be in favor or MOS staying but only if both Hall and Lapo hit the road. If we have the gang of 3 back next year I would expect more of the same. Winning season but no joy in the playoffs. Might not even be a discussion as no one knows if MOS will want to move on etc. It will be an interesting off season that's for sure.

6 minutes ago, BBRT said:

I would be in favor or MOS staying but only if both Hall and Lapo hit the road. If we have the gang of 3 back next year I would expect more of the same. Winning season but no joy in the playoffs. Might not even be a discussion as no one knows if MOS will want to move on etc. It will be an interesting off season that's for sure.

Hall has shown the ability to make changes, so I'm not as against him. Lapo for sure gotta go... 

28 minutes ago, Noeller said:

How do you know there's nobody better? We lost against Toronto and Montreal - and the WAY we lost convinced me we are long overdue for a change at head coach.  Toronto piles up 450 yards against us while Nichols wobbles around for 178. This is the Argonauts remember. Montreal comes back because we choke and  can't hold a 24 point lead. Remember MOS s the guy who pledged to get more involved in the defence after folks were screaming for Richie Hall's head in 2017 and again in 2018. You want more mediocrity? Great.  You can settle for that.  But long-suffering Bomber fans deserve better. 

I don’t know if this is the place to see it but looking around the league at coaches there is only 1 I’d want here other then Osh and that is Khari. 

If we can’t land Khari then I am okay rolling with Osh and different coordinators. 

As far as I know none of our Ops staff have contracts beyond this season so we should have room in the Ops Cap to sign anyone. 

18 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

As long as MOS is around, you won't support him.

I will if he gets us to the Grey Cup this year and that's win or lose.

13 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Guy took entirely too much crap, his biggest flaw was hiring coaches. Lapo and Burke both sucked. As a talent guy he was fine. 

Sounds like MOS's biggest flaw too.

22 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I will if he gets us to the Grey Cup this year and that's win or lose.

Sounds like MOS's biggest flaw too.

Except he is the head coach not the general manager....

Look I am no Ritchie Hall fan on the whole, but let's give the guy some credit, our D was real bad the first few years he was here, but he did change and adapt and I would say the odd notable exception here and there he has put a good to very good defense on the field the past 2 seasons. So he has shown growth with the team and it's defence. 

The offense started out well the first couple years we had Lapo, but it has stagnated the past couple seasons. Last year we assigned a lot of the blame to that to Nichols playing through an injury to his knee, this year we see a lot of the same issues where things get stagnant with the offense, so it's more ammo that we need a change there. 

This is why I don't rag on O'Shea for not firing them sooner. He gave them chances to improve things. One guy did the other guy hasn't. 

But here is the problem with firing Mike O'Shea... There aren't a lot of really interesting options out there for head coach right now and chances are given that he is well liked by most football circles I can see them replacing O'Shea with Paul Lapolice which is not an upgrade. You understand why I want to keep O'Shea now?

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Except he is the head coach not the general manager....

Look I am no Ritchie Hall fan on the whole, but let's give the guy some credit, our D was real bad the first few years he was here, but he did change and adapt and I would say the odd notable exception here and there he has put a good to very good defense on the field the past 2 seasons. So he has shown growth with the team and it's defence. 

The offense started out well the first couple years we had Lapo, but it has stagnated the past couple seasons. Last year we assigned a lot of the blame to that to Nichols playing through an injury to his knee, this year we see a lot of the same issues where things get stagnant with the offense, so it's more ammo that we need a change there. 

This is why I don't rag on O'Shea for not firing them sooner. He gave them chances to improve things. One guy did the other guy hasn't. 

But here is the problem with firing Mike O'Shea... There aren't a lot of really interesting options out there for head coach right now and chances are given that he is well liked by most football circles I can see them replacing O'Shea with Paul Lapolice which is not an upgrade. You understand why I want to keep O'Shea now?

So aside from Maas I guess - who are all these coaches that players don’t want to play for?  This argument is so weak

you don’t think Rick Campbell would be an instant upgrade - or mark Nelson, Constanza, Dyce etc