Osh is a Legend

Floyd

3 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Let me share some insight from an NBA marketing executive who gave a talk at a CFL marketing meeting:

Never call it a rebuild....a 2yr retool is what fans expect....MOS did an admirable job retooling in 2 yrs....then what in 4 yrs 1 playoff win

A sports franchise marketing strategy is predicated on “selling hope” to fans. There is only a 50% win/loss proposition. If this team continues to falter down the stretch....what are you using as your “Hope” sales pitch to fans?

A management strategy based on the premise of I don’t make a decision to make changes moving forward, I won’t make the wrong decision....is a failed strategy in business and in sport.

So those of you touting “patience”..... what exactly is your time line and management strategy moving forward?

Absoutely 100% agree never call anything in professional sport a rebuild.

Without looking strictly at wins and losses, is it fair to say that each team (each year) has been better than the one the year before, for each of MOS's seasons here...? Even without a GC win, has it been progressively better each year? 

The drama surrounding this team and on this board is a bizarre tonic for this depressing 3 game losing streak.  Been crazy busy IRL but managed to keep up with the reading by supplementing the bathroom breaks with lots of “being out in the shop” type tasks...

IF, and this is a big if, O’Shea decides to bolt for TO and Pinball...  agree with 17to85 that we woo Khari Jones and all his family and best friends to Winnipeg.  Arguably held back by Buono in BC... he’s since shown he has what it takes to take a middling team to gross overachievement. What could he accomplish if he was allowed to manage a Kyle Walters supplied roster???

On a shallower note - what I wouldn’t give to see Khari on the sidelines, in Bomber blue doing his go-time give-em-hell dance...

10 minutes ago, BigBlueFanatic said:

The drama surrounding this team and on this board is a bizarre tonic for this depressing 3 game losing streak.  Been crazy busy IRL but managed to keep up with the reading by supplementing the bathroom breaks with lots of “being out in the shop” type tasks...

IF, and this is a big if, O’Shea decides to bolt for TO and Pinball...  agree with 17to85 that we woo Khari Jones and all his family and best friends to Winnipeg.  Arguably held back by Buono in BC... he’s since shown he has what it takes to take a middling team to gross overachievement. What could he accomplish if he was allowed to manage a Kyle Walters supplied roster???

On a shallower note - what I wouldn’t give to see Khari on the sidelines, in Bomber blue doing his go-time give-em-hell dance...

I've been advocating for years to see Khari back as a coach, but the Alouettes would be insane to let him go if they can prevent it. No doubt he would have a soft spot in his heart for Winnipeg, but how realistic is it to expect him back?

57 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Let me share some insight from an NBA marketing executive who gave a talk at a CFL marketing meeting:

Never call it a rebuild....a 2yr retool is what fans expect....MOS did an admirable job retooling in 2 yrs....then what in 4 yrs 1 playoff win

A sports franchise marketing strategy is predicated on “selling hope” to fans. There is only a 50% win/loss proposition. If this team continues to falter down the stretch....what are you using as your “Hope” sales pitch to fans?

A management strategy based on the premise of I don’t make a decision to make changes moving forward, I won’t make the wrong decision....is a failed strategy in business and in sport.

So those of you touting “patience”..... what exactly is your time line and management strategy moving forward?

This is a total false equivalency.  It's not a rebuild.  The hope is that if we had a QB who could complete a pass in the playoffs last year we probably win the Grey Cup.  That's how close this team is.

And if the marketing department is running the football operation I don't have a lot of hope for that football team.

35 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

This is a total false equivalency.  It's not a rebuild.  The hope is that if we had a QB who could complete a pass in the playoffs last year we probably win the Grey Cup.  That's how close this team is.

And if the marketing department is running the football operation I don't have a lot of hope for that football team.

Holy **** THANK YOU! 

40 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Interesting.....so you didn’t have a QB that could complete a pass....didn’t get near the Grey Cup.....and with status quo moving into the next season....this was going to change? How exactly? And this path continues how much longer?

I didn’t say the marketing department runs the football team.....the marketing department is left to market the team based on the actions or inactions of the football team.

15 hours ago, 17to85 said:

So make the change away from a proven loser at OC and see how O'Shea does. O'Shea had issues early on getting the coordinators worth a damn to be interested in Winnipeg because of the teams history of firing coaches quickly, and then when Lapo was hired there was all the talk about getting someone with head coaching experience to help a relatively fresh faced head coach... so let's let him try one more time. O'Shea is a damned good head coach and Lapo we know all about his issues (which are manifesting themselves again with this offense) so let's have one more shot to get it right at that position. 

He used up his one more try when he brought back both co-ordinators this past off season most likely.  anyways we will see what happens in the final 3 games of the season.

14 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

Given the historic offence struggles this team has demonstrated how can anyone think there is justification PROMOTING LaPo to HC.  Can anyone explain the logic of that? 

Righting a wrong from the past...unfairly fired in 2012 without being given a chance to right the ship the rest of the season?  I'm not saying that would justify it but that is how it could be framed in some people's minds.  Outside the forum, where there is quite a bit of groupthink, I bet there are quite a few season ticket holders and casuals who would be fine if Lapo was hired as head coach.

9 hours ago, Noeller said:

Without looking strictly at wins and losses, is it fair to say that each team (each year) has been better than the one the year before, for each of MOS's seasons here...? Even without a GC win, has it been progressively better each year? 

Yes, I think there's an argument that each year the team has been better than the one the year before. Walters has improved the talent on this team especially in the first few years. O'Shea and his coordinators improved the coaching. Eventually the progress seemed to plateau and is now trending down. We are an average team with average players and average coaching. In my opinion, to get to the next level, we will need better players and better coaches.

Edited by J5V

Streveler has tons of upside...and giving up on him his stupid at best...Have to remember that he basically is in only his 4th year as a true starter...he's learning on the fly, good and bad results and is doing so while in a god awful offensive scheme with an OC who doesn't know how to utilize his players properly, and gets tunnel vision generally before going into a passive play calling mode as he has no onions...So he is a little further behind the curve than most 1st and 2nd yr guys due to that, and all things considered has done pretty well in this working environment he's in.

Can't place that all on Streveler and the first step to make this a major turn around is not bringing back Lapo...plain and simple.

I can see it in a lot of the offensive players attitude and body language that they are not happy in this either..Lapo's time is done

Oshea I have no issue with coming back...yeah the record isn't overwhelming and play-off success has been sparse, but tossing him out really doesn't solve anything...his stubborn attitude to blind loyalty has been his major fault, and you can see on his face this last month or so he is fed up with it...hands are tied this year with the coaches cap thing, so we gotta go to dance with who brought us...but I bet next year if he gets extended...or he accepts the extension he moves on with new OC and DC

Sure things have blown lately...but I am not in the camp of all the doomsayers...complainers...whatever you wanna call the people jumping off with support...play=offs are a new season and anything can happen...and if we gotta get there on the road with a couple wins...so be it....just makes it that much more satisfying.

12 minutes ago, Booch said:

Streveler has tons of upside...and giving up on him his stupid at best...Have to remember that he basically is in only his 4th year as a true starter...he's learning on the fly, good and bad results and is doing so while in a god awful offensive scheme with an OC who doesn't know how to utilize his players properly, and gets tunnel vision generally before going into a passive play calling mode as he has no onions...So he is a little further behind the curve than most 1st and 2nd yr guys due to that, and all things considered has done pretty well in this working environment he's in.

Can't place that all on Streveler and the first step to make this a major turn around is not bringing back Lapo...plain and simple.

I can see it in a lot of the offensive players attitude and body language that they are not happy in this either..Lapo's time is done

Oshea I have no issue with coming back...yeah the record isn't overwhelming and play-off success has been sparse, but tossing him out really doesn't solve anything...his stubborn attitude to blind loyalty has been his major fault, and you can see on his face this last month or so he is fed up with it...hands are tied this year with the coaches cap thing, so we gotta go to dance with who brought us...but I bet next year if he gets extended...or he accepts the extension he moves on with new OC and DC

Sure things have blown lately...but I am not in the camp of all the doomsayers...complainers...whatever you wanna call the people jumping off with support...play=offs are a new season and anything can happen...and if we gotta get there on the road with a couple wins...so be it....just makes it that much more satisfying.

I am hoping all the bomber players are not zach fans.....and it causes them to rally behind big Chris and pull out a dominate win this weekend showing everyone just how much they are behind him going into the playoffs.....

If Oshea is a good coach, and a guy who you want leading your team he will move on from Lapo and go a different direction....I think he knows this and will be doing so....but then again that is Walter's and Millers call....and if Osh isn't on board with it then we make Khari an offer he can't refuse...he has shown this year he is now a bonafide HC and I bet he could do wonders with Streveler...

6 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I am hoping all the bomber players are not zach fans.....and it causes them to rally behind big Chris and pull out a dominate win this weekend showing everyone just how much they are behind him going into the playoffs.....

They're pros. I expect them to treat Collaros well and accept him. 

I'm not a pro and I don't have to accept him. 

I don't know if O'Shea is done. Calling the guy a loser is inaccurate and classless - that I do know.

His commitment to retain shitty coordinators appears to be a major weakness for him. Hall should've been canned years ago, IMO. LaPolice needs to quit trying to fit square pegs into round holes, especially if he hopes to be a HC in this league again someday.

What I also know is I'm done with this 2019 season. I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if they lose on Saturday.

13 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

The problem with bringing O'Shea back is we might see Lapo as Bombers OC again... if he has not landed a HC gig. 

I think Hall might retire after the season for health reasons. 

Richie Hall is fine.  It was reported today that his absence is due to the death of his brother.

5 minutes ago, Booch said:

If Oshea is a good coach, and a guy who you want leading your team he will move on from Lapo and go a different direction....I think he knows this and will be doing so....but then again that is Walter's and Millers call....and if Osh isn't on board with it then we make Khari an offer he can't refuse...he has shown this year he is now a bonafide HC and I bet he could do wonders with Streveler...

I really think that a guy like Streveler is just such a competitor that he struggles with the passive lapo offense. Like Elliott when he was here just no patience for the idea that you don't try and take it to your opponent. At least Khari has talked about how you have to push it against a defence even if it isn't there just to show them you are crazy enough to do it.

2 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I don't know if O'Shea is done. Calling the guy a loser is inaccurate and classless - that I do know.

His commitment to retain shitty coordinators appears to be a major weakness for him. Hall should've been canned years ago, IMO. LaPolice needs to quit trying to fit square pegs into round holes, especially if he hopes to be a HC in this league again someday.

What I also know is I'm done with this 2019 season. I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if they lose on Saturday.

👋👋👋 c'ya next year 👋👋👋

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I really think that a guy like Streveler is just such a competitor that he struggles with the passive lapo offense. Like Elliott when he was here just no patience for the idea that you don't try and take it to your opponent. At least Khari has talked about how you have to push it against a defence even if it isn't there just to show them you are crazy enough to do it.

totally agree

27 minutes ago, Booch said:

Agree. And things are fluid. So much can happen between now and the off season. Lots of potential moving parts with coaches, QB's, etc. The important thing is that Miller and Walters hopefully know that unless we go on an incredible playoff run, change must happen. Even then, change must happen. I can't see them trotting out the same HC, coordinators, QB's next spring saying "nothing has changed, but things will be different now". 

My predictions are O'Shea ends up in Toronto - partly his choice, partly the Argos going hard after him, partly the Bombers leaning towards different options - and Khari ends up in Winnipeg. I think his connections to the city, Miller, trump sticking around in Montreal. And basically most of the assistants are then gone. I think somehow Buck sticks around.